Unofficial Mills

Katie Thistleton to join Going Home

Jono

I'm not convinced its a last minute decision, I just reckon the logistics of it needed more time to work out (e.g. will Katie be in London for the show or Salford, who would go into Katie's slot). So I reckon they announced Jamie first because they had to get on the front-foot from a PR perspective after Jordan's departure - but then once all the above was resolved they can announce the Katie addition.

Would love to know the full story behind the Going Home situation eventually. But we seem to have ended up in a decent place - Katie has long deserved weekdays so it's great to finally see her get a role. She seemed the obvious replacement for Jordan on his departure.

I do wonder if part of this is down to the backlash to Jamie's appointment or maybe even off-air pilots not being great with just Vick & Jamie.

Otherwise why not announce Katie joining when you announced Jamie becoming part of Going Home - it would've quelled a fair bit of the backlash for sure.

Do wonder if it may be a case though that one of Vick or more likely Jamie might then disappear after a year and you have Katie then with whoever remains.

Does mean Katie is moving to LONDON?!!

Katie joining will definitely tone it down and potentially bring more normality to the show and the relatable factor which may have got lost in this show otherwise.

You can see why Aled has done what he has done and it's a good job. D&V did need to go or be split up and drive needed someone like Katie

Katie’s Insta post almost made me teary - she’s so great. And when she says how much shock she’s in - plus how shocked she was at the Jordan news, makes me think this has all been done very, very quickly. Last week she was on holiday, this weekend she’s still doing her usual shows. 

Really feels that with the Jordan news they’ve realised they quickly need to sort weekdays. It’s a very unusual time of year to be making big changes - they normally wait till September.

And weekdays do now look much stronger. But now they need to sort weekends. Not looking forward to three days of Nat and Vicky - is that really a good idea? 

Katie in her post put a picture of champagne glasses coming together and it looks like it's from when she was on holiday. So might not have been long.

I wonder if Vick might have had a say in things. With the likelihood of sounding like I am overreading things but Vick and Katie look more hugged together than with Jamie. 

I think Aled should have been a bit more brave and moved Dean and Vicky on.  It's nothing personal but it's just not worked. Vicky was on BBC Manchester and could see her going back there.

Well, this has me turning the radio off on Friday and Saturday when Katie leaves that slot! So pleased for her though, she comes across as such a genuine and warm person, her announcement makes it really feel like this was a surprise offer to her. I can't help but feel that I wish she had been given her own weekday show - I would have loved her to be taking over from RMC.

But, she seems happy, she's joining drive time which is obviously a huge gig, and I wish her all of the success from here. I hope she doesn't get dragged into any of the Jamie-related backlash, she is a true asset to the station and deserves to be treated as so. (I was a fan of Jamie when he joined Matt, but the announcement doesn't seem to have gone down well on socials).

I hope this is a bit of a stop-gap I suppose, and that Katie gets to break free from this trio not too far in the future - she is definitely worthy and deserving of her own show.

Probably if she didn’t get moved up to join drive she could’ve ended up on a station like Capital with him. Atleast if Jamie Laing doesn’t last long on the station like when 1 Xtra signed DJ Cuppy. least they have a presenting team that someone did leave out of the team that they have someone to remain and give a sense of continuity. Given the fact that nearly every daytime programme is done as a team of presenters and not just one presenter it opens the station up to more regular changes between presenters.

31 minutes ago, coffeeandgin said:

I imagine Jordan must be pleased too to see his good friend Katie end up on Going Home following the departure and also moving down to that there London too so no doubt he, Vick and Katie will all still catch up every so often even if it’s off-air.

14 hours ago, StormcloudR1 said:

I'm not convinced its a last minute decision, I just reckon the logistics of it needed more time to work out (e.g. will Katie be in London for the show or Salford, who would go into Katie's slot). So I reckon they announced Jamie first because they had to get on the front-foot from a PR perspective after Jordan's departure - but then once all the above was resolved they can announce the Katie addition.

I agree…I think it’s been a big decision for her to relocate to London. 

Great news that Katie is joining Going Home full time. More than well deserved after working her way up, plus as good as being part of the Going Home team anyway. I'm not getting the recruitment of Jamie Laing tbf, especially after this announcement. The last thing we really needed was another trio on daytimes. It could go either way.. it'll either somehow work or it'll sound very crowded and disjointed. Will be interested to see if he's in it for the long haul, or whether he'll be quietly dropped as time goes on.