Unofficial Mills

Greg James for Radio 2

TheSaviourisHere

I don't think it will happen, and I don't want it to happen, but I do think that Greg could just be the perfect personality to shake up the middle-classness of Radio 2.

He's very good at reading the room, very capable of adapting to different environments and covering serious topics with sincerity and light-heartedness, but mostly I feel his style of taking the mick out of himself and his listeners could well be a refreshing change to R2 from what I have listened to recently.

9 minutes ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

I don't think it will happen, and I don't want it to happen, but I do think that Greg could just be the perfect personality to shake up the middle-classness of Radio 2.

He's very good at reading the room, very capable of adapting to different environments and covering serious topics with sincerity and light-heartedness, but mostly I feel his style of taking the mick out of himself and his listeners could well be a refreshing change to R2 from what I have listened to recently.

Spot on he would be a great fit at 2. But i also love him at Radio 1 and dont want him to go. I have always said that when he leaves Radio 1 Breakfast he would go to 5Live or a TV Channel to do the cricket. But Radio 2 is a big offer if they want him?

59 minutes ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

Agree. The right voice for those big days when the monarch dies etc. 

I agree with the point that Radio 2 is a huge offer, and one that would have to be considered if it was offered. I can't help thinking that Greg at this point in his career also has other options though; he is so versatile that he is not necesarily going to do the standard move from R1 to R2 in my opinion. His other podcasts for example, show he has an interest in exploring other types of work, and I'm not convinced he would want to make the move if he was offered it.

At the same time, I imagine the backlash would be enormous if it did happen. The boss of R2 would surely be taking a huge risk in making that offer, for another youngster from R1 joining the crew so soon after Scott... As much as they are trying to change the feel of the station, I'm not convinced now is the time they would choose to try to get Greg on.

3 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

Think he could announce his departure at the end of the year and at latest out early 2024 but think he may do a few projects in transition to next major radio show.

I mean like Evan Davies eventually left Newsnight for PM it could be someone like Victoria Derbyshire, Tina Dahealy, Though covered the slot highly doubt when steps down Chris Mason, Phil Williams given he’s working there now and done stuff on Times Radio and 5 Live would be a fit for more softer lunchtime show

And Phill Williams broadcasts from Salford, so would be a win win without pressure to move mid mornings, afternoon or drive out of London. 

Greg isn't going to be parachuted into Radio 2 mid mornings. It'll be someone in the Radio 2 family for a start. I certainly think, should he want to continue with music radio, that Greg will be the next big name the BBC will want to retain and transition to Radio 2, still plenty of time for that to happen, though.

1 hour ago, NathanS said:

And Phill Williams broadcasts from Salford, so would be a win win without pressure to move mid mornings, afternoon or drive out of London. 

Greg isn't going to be parachuted into Radio 2 mid mornings. It'll be someone in the Radio 2 family for a start. I certainly think, should he want to continue with music radio, that Greg will be the next big name the BBC will want to retain and transition to Radio 2, still plenty of time for that to happen, though.

I think he would return to music radio but think he will focus time on many projects like how he has managed while presenting breakfast doing stuff like podcasting and book writing. But could easily as some suggested do bit of 5 Live or imagine door will be open for tv work and coming up with telly show ideas. Probably in between have more leisure time then.

I think there's no logical reason for Greg to be sacked from the breakfast show. His format still sounds current (unlike Chris Moyles at the end of his show), there's no obvious choice to put instead of him, he's still quite young and I doubt it would increase listening figures as young people tend to switch off radio.

Radio 1's listening figures will never get back to Moyle's times because there has been two fundamental changes: older listeners went to other radio stations and younger people has abandoned radio and went to social media, Spotify and podcasts. 

Therefore, if Greg wants to stay, he'll stay for a few years more at least.

3 hours ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

I don’t think subscribe to middle class news considering that radio 2 is one of the most listened stations its audiences are diverse and not based on a singular class. And think Greg James would be seen as middle class anyway and think there wouldn’t be a class point made in shifting Greg over to 2

26 minutes ago, IamNotFromUK said:

I think there's no logical reason for Greg to be sacked from the breakfast show. His format still sounds current (unlike Chris Moyles at the end of his show), there's no obvious choice to put instead of him, he's still quite young and I doubt it would increase listening figures as young people tend to switch off radio.

Radio 1's listening figures will never get back to Moyle's times because there has been two fundamental changes: older listeners went to other radio stations and younger people has abandoned radio and went to social media, Spotify and podcasts. 

Therefore, if Greg wants to stay, he'll stay for a few years more at least.

Cant see him being sacked just don’t see him staying years longer beyond that think he may find it will run its course by next year it would be six years of doing breakfast next year. Think he may end up wanting natural change. This year he will turn 38 and that was the age Chris Moyles left. Think he may want to without being pushed may want to do the smart decision to bow out before it being elongating it more than it should and be in form on his way out and have planned exit. Being the same age as Nick when he left it puts doubt on him having a much longer tenure that would be years.

26 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

Yes - I wouldn't see this in any way of Greg being sacked.  In real terms it would be a promotion to him as this is probably the number 1 job in BBC music radio.

I think it would be a great move for Radio 2 but instead lets expect Rylan or somebody awful to get it.

Who would be awful or bad to get it. Who would you think they got it wrong with?

10 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

Who would be awful or bad to get it. Who would you think they got it wrong with?

Rylan is the obvious poor choice - such a culture shock from Ken.  Similarly, I think they'd be better to go with a generation below pro broadcaster.  This is exactly what they did by replacing Steve Wright with Scott Mills.

OJ Borg, Vernon Kay, Dermot O'Leary all decent shouts.  

1 minute ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Now the 'Gammons' really would be fuming at that - I hope that doesn't spur the decision-makers on to do it! - Because, yes, it would be awful.

Haha and you hit on my contradiction as I'd love Rylan to get it just to annoy the people who dislike him for totally awful reasons.

My reason for not wanting to get him is that I just don't like his style of presenting..

Totally believe the choice should be evolution not revolution.

38 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

Haha and you hit on my contradiction as I'd love Rylan to get it just to annoy the people who dislike him for totally awful reasons.

My reason for not wanting to get him is that I just don't like his style of presenting..

Totally believe the choice should be evolution not revolution.

I wouldn't want Rylan to move for purely selfish reasons, as I like listening to his Saturday afternoon, he really does suit that slot.

Dermot O' Leary is clearly being set up with Alison Hammond for the main This Morning role, which I get a feeling will be sooner rather than later. 

The bigger question to consider is some of the names mentioned, would they even want to do it? Dermot, Rylan, Claudia, Vernon all have TV gigs... so might not want to juggle both.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:52 PM, BBCAaron said:

Marc Riley, Edith Bowman, Steve Lamarq would be good names even Radcliffe and Maconie. But if this was several years later Clara Amfo would be a clever fit but seems not the time.

May be a risk but Mark Radcliffe and Marc Riley on the old 2!? I can dream... Both are too into their own thing now.

I think Greg has a good few years left at Radio 1. I recall him when he first joined and not to say he was bad around 07/08 way but he's come such a long way. He was brilliant the day after the Queen died. The way he connected with listeners and reflected himself on air. Haven't heard anything on that level since Mark Radcliffe & Chris Moyles on the day and days after of 9/11.

I simply think it's more of a Radio 1 thing than 2 with him. They can't afford to lose him at the moment. Scott going was always going to happen, but Greg can't leave until the next generation is properly ready.

on the grid.

30 minutes ago, DC said:

May be a risk but Mark Radcliffe and Marc Riley on the old 2!? I can dream... Both are too into their own thing now.

I think Greg has a good few years left at Radio 1. I recall him when he first joined and not to say he was bad around 07/08 way but he's come such a long way. He was brilliant the day after the Queen died. The way he connected with listeners and reflected himself on air. Haven't heard anything on that level since Mark Radcliffe & Chris Moyles on the day and days after of 9/11.

I simply think it's more of a Radio 1 thing than 2 with him. They can't afford to lose him at the moment. Scott going was always going to happen, but Greg can't leave until the next generation is properly ready.

Think have faith in the newbies, think he can leave when it’s right for him and the worst thing is for the station to be all too desperate for him. He’s a talented broadcaster that to be said. No doubts about that and will have the legacy of one of the top presenters the station has and if on the BBC’s 75th anniversary they did a Radio 1 Vintage again he’d be one of the firm favourites for a look back. They will gel well with the new generation of listeners at the chance given a show. Think when the time is right it’s Greg’s decision to go. But as said its a hunch not a conspiracy that he would go beyond at a certain point in 2025.

Sometimes the worst can bring out at the best in people it takes someone to broadcast on a tough day for the broadcaster themselves on a personal level. To have been on radio on the day of a terror incident of 9/11 that is really difficult to speak and no what to say like that.

think with the older broadcaster like Marc Riley and Rad Mac think Radio 2 could do with the older 6M presenters who reach out to the demographic of radio 2 with lesser mainstream stuff.

10 hours ago, DC said:

As much as I think Greg is wonderful - I actually don't think he is absolutely essential to Radio 1.  The next generation is very ready, Jordan is a breakfast show presenter in waiting, with or without Katie (or Vick), Jack Saunders could easily take it on if it wasn't Jordan.  Matt and Mollie or Rickie, Melvin and Charlie could easily be shorter term replacements.

Meanwhile, we have James Cusack, Sam and Danni and Emil Franchi all without regular shows and perfectly capable of one.

There's really no shortage of future talent at Radio 1 at present.

44 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

As much as I think Greg is wonderful - I actually don't think he is absolutely essential to Radio 1.  The next generation is very ready, Jordan is a breakfast show presenter in waiting, with or without Katie (or Vick), Jack Saunders could easily take it on if it wasn't Jordan.  Matt and Mollie or Rickie, Melvin and Charlie could easily be shorter term replacements.

Meanwhile, we have James Cusack, Sam and Danni and Emil Franchi all without regular shows and perfectly capable of one.

There's really no shortage of future talent at Radio 1 at present.

Aled said when Greg went to 5 days a week, he would have Greg on 7 days a week if he could. So i would argue Greg is still essential to Radio 1. But yes the future looks bright especially with Jordan and Jack

3 hours ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

Aled said when Greg went to 5 days a week, he would have Greg on 7 days a week if he could. So i would argue Greg is still essential to Radio 1. But yes the future looks bright especially with Jordan and Jack

Except that was years ago and before Aled started throwing brand new people into every slot available.

7 hours ago, UnofficialStark said:

Except that was years ago and before Aled started throwing brand new people into every slot available.

Yes think Aled rightly so sees the value in not thinking one singular presenter is essential to the station or he should and think the family of presenters with a mix of programming that evolves and ever cog is equally of value and worth as the last. That’s the most important thing treating everyone of equal worth.