Unofficial Mills

Badly Bleeped TV: Slap on the wrist for Mills

Guest inxces4308

Guest inxces4308

Nov 10: A complaint by one listener to Scott Mill's Badly Bleeped TV feature on BBC Radio 1 has resulted in Ofcom finding the presenter in breach of a broadcasting code.

The feature, which bleeps a bunch none non-swear words to reveal a potentially offensive word either side of the bleep, is a favourite with listeners and fits in with the style of the show.

On this occasion, two of the clips included words that began with ‘f’ and these were edited in such a way that the listener believed that he had heard the word “fu*k”.

Ofcom wrote to the BBC for its comments under Rule 1.14 of the Code ( the most offensive language must not be broadcast before the watershed or when children are particularly likely to be listening).

The BBC responded that “Badly Bleeped TV” is one of the more popular items on Scott Mills and that it considered that the item is in line with the level of satire and humour that the programme’s audience would expect from the show. It acknowledged that the feature is somewhat “risqué”. However it maintained that the words omitted from the extracts are “entirely innocuous” in nature, with the humour of the item resting in the listeners recognising in their minds a similarity between the remaining parts of the ‘bleeped’ word and a potentially offensive word. It belongs to “the saucy seaside postcard tradition of comedy, than to anything more offensive”.

The BBC said that the words that were ‘bleeped’, as referred to by the complainant, were “fated to meet” and “fantastic”. The word “[censored]” was therefore not used and the words that were ‘bleeped’ bore no resemblance to that word. It said the real missing words were revealed very quickly, leaving the listener in no doubt as to what was omitted.

Ofcom said it accepts that the feature itself was in keeping with the irreverent humour of the Scott Mills show and that its suggestive style was likely to have been in line with the expectations of regular listeners. A variety of ‘bleeped’ words were included which gave the first impression of being something offensive, but which it transpired were innocent. In these cases, no offence could be caused to the audience since the potentially offensive words were not audible.

How can anyone be stupid enough to complain about a simple, no harm, feature! It seems like a tradition at the moment.

Oh that's plain silliness. It's not a swear word, so how can it be a breach? I guess that's the end of Badly Bleeped TV then.

If that is the case I hope that they play up to the fact that one listener complained.

I knew all this Russell Brand saga would be detrimental to radio enjoyment.

Ofcom has also upheld a complaint against BBC Radio 1 after a segment called Badly Bleeped TV on Scott Mills' afternoon show broadcast in August inadvertently broadcast the sound of the word "fuck".

In the segment, audio material was played with the words "fated to meet" and "fantastic" bleeped out.

The complaint was upheld because in the second instance the sound "fuck" was created either side of the bleep.

"Ofcom noted that the beginning and end sounds of the 'bleeped' word were 'f' at the beginning, and a strong 'ck' after the 'bleep'. This was played twice and clearly - for all intents and purposes - sounded like the word "fuck"," the regulator ruled adding that the show breached its code.

"Ofcom research has demonstrated that the word 'fuck' and its derivatives are considered by most people as examples of the most offensive language. In this instance, the programme was broadcast at 4pm, during school holidays, and was therefore on air at a time when children were likely to be listening. "

The BBC had argued that because the words omitted from the extracts are always "entirely innocuous" in nature, the humour "belongs to the saucy seaside postcard tradition of comedy, [rather] than to anything more offensive".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/10/kerrang-phone-competition

Guest CancerForTheCure

You what?! The whole idea of the feature is that it is NOT the word people expect the hear, therefore there is no breach!

the most offensive language must not be broadcast before the watershed or when children are particularly likely to be listening

It is safe to say that no such language was used - it would otherwise ruin the main concept of the feature.

According to Guardian they were concerned because it supposedly started fu and supposedly ended ck. As this was broadcasted during the summer holidays they thought it was unreasonable.

Here's the 'episode' in question (About 2 minutes 40) -

http://www.unofficialmills.co.uk/communities/local_links.php?catid=9&linkid=1159

Oh for F*ck's sake? Is this nation losing its sense of humour completely? I have just about had enough of these bleating idiots and the nanny state pandering to them!

I do not approve of censorship; it stifles creativity and as a result we all lose out. Therefore I shall mainly be swearing a lot all afternoon purely on principle. Poor old Pete and Dud (aka Derek and Clive) would be turning in their graves!

Warning! Following clip contains gratuitous use of the 'C' word, which I don't tend to use, but I'm in swearing mode now. Should I send off my (hypothetical) 'Outraged from Leeds!' strongly worded letter of complaint now?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jTifRi3qDkU

On a socio-political-economic note, it always seems that people go all Mary Whitehouse on our arses when the economy is in tatters. Diversionary tactics. There are far more pressing issues for us, the public to be worrying our pretty little heads over when you come to think of it?

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I agree with Nati on this one. What is it with people these days? And since when did one complaint make national newspapers? :grrr:

I hope Scott does his whole show in a badly bleeped TV style today.

Should I send off my (hypothetical) 'Outraged from Leeds!' strongly worded letter of complaint now?

Make sure you bleep it properly.;)

Oh for F*ck's sake? Is this nation losing its sense of humour completely? I have just about had enough of these bleating idiots and the nanny state pandering to them!

Hear hear! I guess the idiot readers of the Daily Fail want to take this supposed "new found" opportunity to complain about whatever they can lay their grubby hands on.

They should take a long hard look at themselves because they are the ones that are a disgrace to this country!

kyliewilson.png

Its so difficult...and its about context and the age of the audience. If it was unlikely that any young children were listening, ie if it was an over 18 show, then maybe it is unfair to get upset about swear words.

But if its ok for young children to hear swear words and see rude gestures on tv or from the radio maybe we should get used to children swearing at their parents, peers and teachers and random people who annoy them on the bus?

Maybe supernanny should start using swear words to the parents and kids in her programmes, they are only words and we must be careful not to use any form of censorship!

"Hello blokes, it's me, one of the 2 people who complained about Brand's and Ross' language. I'm not as successful as either of these acts so I'll get them suspended. Oh look, Scott Mills is very popular right now, lets try and get rid of him"

>_>

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

The Daily Mail are on the case :rolleyes:

The BBC has been slated for believing it is 'perfectly acceptable' to offend some of its audience with foul language, after two of its shows were slammed by the broadcasting watchdog today.

The Scott Mills show on Radio 1 was rapped over a feature, aired when children were listening, in which words from TV and radio clips were bleeped out which appeared to be offensive.

The sounds of the beginning and end of the words remained audible, giving the false impression that the bleep was masking a swear word.

The BBC originally said the feature belonged to 'the saucy seaside postcard tradition of comedy' and not to 'anything more offensive', but later stated it accepted it had made an 'error'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1084576/BBC-believes-perfectly-acceptable-offend-audience-foul-language-claims-MP.html

can you imagine Mock the Week surviving in this climate?

It said on the news the other week (during the Brand/Ross fiasco) that Mock The Week was being reviewed!

haha!

The world has gone mad. Let's all just have every radio link as 'this is radio 1, that was ______ and now this is __________'. How 'great' that would be.

Watch out The Daily Mails readers are about :rolleyes:

God they've already taken one of my favourite radio shows off air, they out to do it again? if so, I'm moving to america. At least they still have some kind of sense of humour... Stupid Daily Mail... people... god I'm angry...

>_<

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

I do not see why the childrens holidays should be considered important. The scott mills show runs from 4 pm till 7 right! They will get home and be listening.

Its difficult really. I cannot say i like to hear young kids swearing. Yet I do all the time. If they hear swearing on shows like this... which thats what it is ... even though you cannot hear it its obvious what words are meant to be coming into our minds

Its quite funny as a feature.Its stupid is the radio rules. There is no real watershed. Your not allowed to swear at all past 10pm. Or maybe you are supposed to give warnings out. Its all a bit stupid really ... there shoudl be swear words used after 10pm.

you gotta love the do gooders, they'll be helping terrorists out of jail next. twats. how would they of got on with a few editions of lard's classic cuts? probably would of had a fit over it before they could complain, there are much better things to be done with life. they just don't get enough sex, that's the trouble.

on the grid.

I REALLY need to start listening to the whole show and not relying solely on the podcasts :| I had no idea any of this was going on.

Watch out The Daily Mails readers are about :rolleyes:

God they've already taken one of my favourite radio shows off air, they out to do it again? if so, I'm moving to america. At least they still have some kind of sense of humour... Stupid Daily Mail... people... god I'm angry...

>_<

Sadly, not true :cry: The same losers that complain about something like this run rampant here too. They are everywhere unfortunately. All this political correctness crap is getting WAY out of hand. Seriously...you don't like it? Don't listen to it. How difficult is that?? "Lets take time out of our busy lives to make something completely out of NOTHING. WOOOO!" :x

People are complaining about all sorts at the moment, totally selfishly - Ant & Dec saying "B*llocks" after the watershed is an example. I don't think Moyles should say "crap" or "ass" in the morning on the school run though.

Loads of tracks Radio 1 play have badly bleeped swear words - that start "Ffff" its pretty clear what they are saying.. when they play George Michael's "Outside" they didn't bleep the line "all that bullsh*t conversation".. did anyone complain?