Unofficial Mills

Jordan North's first Capital Radio breakfast show

GrimsbyGal

Thought it was a clever nod to play lovers in a past life 1st song almost to taunt r1 with it.

The whole show seems comfortable and Chris and Sian have more of an impact on it than under Roman without Jordan forcing the conversation.

Music choice was a lot bigger however 15 minute ads is a pain

Listening again this morning. 

I think Jordan is playing a bit safe but it’s a good listen and does not sound like a brand new show (in a good way). No doubt because everyone involved except Jordan has been working together and he seems to find it easy working with anyone.

Never listened to the 6am and 7am hours before but this week they’re doing a very good job. I like their rhyme game.

The things I don’t like are not the ads and the eBay product placements but the dreadful and weird edits of tracks. It just feels like someone is randomly pressing the forward 30 seconds button.

I listened back to this morning's show this afternoon, I thought it was sounding great.  Things are naturally comfortable between Jordan, Chris and Sian. Funny features and links.  The ads would probably start to grate after a while, but they weren't as jarring as I thought they would be, considering I've never listened to Capital for any lenght of time before really.

I agree about the weird track edits - some of them sound really off.  I do like that there's less dance music than R1 though, a good mix of older stuff too. I noticed they were chatting about young farmers and and Jordan and Chris both quipped that you don't have to be young to listen. Little dig at R1 I thought.

I will probably be sticking with Greg for the most part, but it's nice to have a more than decent alternative on days where R1 has an all day danceathon or something else I'm not keen on happening. I hope Jordan does really well there after the way he was taken off his R1 show. He's sounding at home so it's a good start.

I think Chris, an exec, will know what he's doing. It'll take a bit of time for things to settle. If they take two or three in 10 listeners from Radio 1 it'll have paid off, I think.

I don't know why but Capital sounds like Radio 1 Lite now.  Capital Breakfast now sounds like it's trying to be Radio 1 Breakfast especially with that intro.  It's odd.  I preferer the slick production that Capital had before.  It had more impact and sounded modern and original.  

The show is new and is showing off but after the first month it will be interesting to see how it goes. Jordan is playing it so safe at the moment which is understandable but the worry is that's his new Capital style.  While I like the team I prefer Jordan and Katie.

I did give Capital ago but as of 7am I was back listening to Greg this morning.  Radio 1 needs a better early breakfast lead in because that what will catch them out to Capital. 

Listened to last 30 mins of the show today and a little bit on Monday. Jordan sounds right at home. I agree that short track edits sounds weird and eBay placements (especially today at around 9.50) are cringe. Other than that, Jordan made the right choice by choosing Capital.

5 hours ago, callspy said:

I don't know why but Capital sounds like Radio 1 Lite now.  Capital Breakfast now sounds like it's trying to be Radio 1 Breakfast especially with that intro.  It's odd.  I preferer the slick production that Capital had before.  It had more impact and sounded modern and original.  

The show is new and is showing off but after the first month it will be interesting to see how it goes. Jordan is playing it so safe at the moment which is understandable but the worry is that's his new Capital style.  While I like the team I prefer Jordan and Katie.

I did give Capital ago but as of 7am I was back listening to Greg this morning.  Radio 1 needs a better early breakfast lead in because that what will catch them out to Capital. 

I liked Vick and Jordan, Jordan has so many different settings 🤣. I do hope he will get back to the Jordan we all know and love soon. Although, I guess it’s a bit like when Scott went to 2, he was different to how he was on Radio 1. Although, Moyles has remained the same whichever station he’s on. 😂

51 minutes ago, Greg20 said:

I liked Vick and Jordan, Jordan has so many different settings 🤣. I do hope he will get back to the Jordan we all know and love soon. Although, I guess it’s a bit like when Scott went to 2, he was different to how he was on Radio 1. Although, Moyles has remained the same whichever station he’s on. 😂

He isn’t not himself - if anything the disturbing part is that he is quite slick and professional ! 

I am liking the show but I was also enjoying Roman, Chris and Sian in recent weeks. It’s not laugh out loud radio mostly but it’s a nice listen and entertaining in the same way that say Saturday Night Takeaway is.

1 hour ago, Jono said:

Sat in the office and I've seen so many buses go past the window with Jordan's face on the side of it, ha.

It helps that Global have their own advertising business which is responsible for the ads on the side of buses so they're using that to their advantage. Although, slightly off topic.. I notice the BBC have been running an ad campaign for Radio 2 on sides of buses/billboards and on the TV, presumably trying to attract new listeners to replace the ones they've lost

1 hour ago, Greg20 said:

Also, do you not think Chris Stark has matured? He’s nothing like he was with Scott! 

It’s a mix of factors; Chris talked about playing the ‘lad’ role on Radio 1 and how he had continued doing so in the last few years despite being a father and sort of growing up himself, so it makes sense that he’d reinvent himself here.

Also unfortunately Capital is quite ‘slick.’ They’ve been given some leeway with the Breakfast show but they still have strict timings and lengths to keep to unlike at Radio 1.

I've been listening to Capital breakfast for a past few days and can confirm it's a really good listen. However, it shows how strict the format is. Same music, same ads, time-restricted links, short songs. Jordan is great though.

And now I've switched to Radio 1 and Greg's doing some sort of 'sexy or not sexy' link. What a difference.

54 minutes ago, IamNotFromUK said:

I've been listening to Capital breakfast for a past few days and can confirm it's a really good listen. However, it shows how strict the format is. Same music, same ads, time-restricted links, short songs. Jordan is great though.

And now I've switched to Radio 1 and Greg's doing some sort of 'sexy or not sexy' link. What a difference.

Would I much rather listen to Jordan and Katie on Radio 1 Breakfast Vs Capital Breakfast - yes.  But you know I'm finding Capital Breakfast really pleasant listening and the music is certainly more wallpaper which given some of the current Radio 1 choices isn't a bad thing?

I've also been finding Greg a little predictable in recent times.

9 minutes ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

Today is the second day listening back, and I really am enjoying it. For me, it’s partly the Chris Stark factor though, I always loved his ability to take a silly idea to the next level. Getting the CEO of Greggs on the show to roll out a Jordan special, to give just one example.

Yeah me too.  I mean I am enjoying it in a different way to some of Jordan's past shows.  He is a bit less crazy but he is still funny and warm and it's just a good listen.