Unofficial Mills

Danny Beard's Radio 1 show

ianwilk1999

It needs to be said, Danny beard is shocking and we had to turn it off again. Listen to the first link from today, spoke all over the track and carried on like it was normal. Self care saturday mentioning about smear tests, what is going on? Then can't even get the whatsapp number right. 

He makes Jamie lang look like Greg james, any chance we can have Katie back?

On 2/23/2024 at 2:58 PM, ianwilk1999 said:

It needs to be said, Danny beard is shocking and we had to turn it off again. Listen to the first link from today, spoke all over the track and carried on like it was normal. Self care saturday mentioning about smear tests, what is going on? Then can't even get the whatsapp number right. 

He makes Jamie lang look like Greg james, any chance we can have Katie back?

I thought it was just me when I heard that!

On 3/23/2024 at 3:22 PM, ianwilk1999 said:

I get we could be more sensitive to it working in healthcare but they're not something to make light of with what they look for, weird thing to come out with and not remotely entertaining

Yes. I think its fine for someone to text in saying they are having a smear test think Danny was a bit rude or could’ve handled it better when they said they aren’t looking for those who having a smear test think Danny and their producer went for a very safe texter and couldn’t make it work.

Think nothing wrong with mentioning a text of a listener saying hi I’ve got my smear test and If I was Danny I’d simply wish them luck and think thats how they could’ve dealt with it.

Yes, he’s good when I’ve seen him on TV on different shows but doesn’t have the same effect as radio. It would’ve given a sense of continuity and stability to have the changes to afternoons and early mornings coming in the same time as the changes to the evening line-up.

On 3/29/2024 at 1:09 PM, Dan18F1 said:

What did he say?

I'll try to explain it as best as I can, basically, when trailing Matt & Mollie's show (which was coming next at the time) he said 'even though we're not friends, I'll call you Mol. Then he starts talking about sliding into her DMs and saying how she will 'not be impressed'.

If you want to listen it's at about 12:55pm

Well they must have something planned for him. Otherwise, he wouldn't be on Radio 1. Hope it's a BBC Sounds podcast and not a show on the radio...

I don't remember the case in the recent past when they'd get a presenter, let him do a few shows and that's it. Until now, every person (except for Christmas presenters) who did a few shows, was at least a cover presenter after that.

And there's an example of Jamie Lang, who's now on drive. Or Mollie King, who got a permanent show after being a stand in for a month or so. The only difference is that they're good and Danny Beard's... well not special. But in the past it didn't stop the management (look at Maya Jama)

On 3/29/2024 at 1:34 PM, GregJames_fan said:

I'll try to explain it as best as I can, basically, when trailing Matt & Mollie's show (which was coming next at the time) he said 'even though we're not friends, I'll call you Mol. Then he starts talking about sliding into her DMs and saying how she will 'not be impressed'.

If you want to listen it's at about 12:55pm

Strange. It's like one of those awkward Jamie Lang jokes that goes nowhere.

No hate from me towards Danny, because I hadn’t heard of them before they started at R1 recently.

From what I have caught of their shows, I can’t say I’d be compelled to tune in, and it sounds to me like a presenter out of their depth. I totally get the Maya Jama comparison, and other celebrities, but Danny has been thrown in at the deep end alone, without a co-host. The other ‘celebs’ seem to have had more support from experienced R1 presenters (Mollie, Maya, Jamie)

Recently, to me it felt like R2 were chasing the ‘celeb’ presenters, and R1 were going down the ‘proper radio people’ route - then along come Jamie and Danny. (Again, no hate, because I have spoken in favour of Jamie on here numerous times).  

I just don’t understand why they would throw a newbie out into such high profile slots without backup, a failing on R1 planning/management in my opinion.

Jamie is a far better choice than Danny, and that's saying something! At least there they seemed to admit the error and brought Katie in to make it a pretty decent threesome IMO.

I can't actually understand any logic in Aled's choice about Danny. It's like a very bold experiment but one that was destined to fail before it began. Possibly the worst decision of his tenure (if we forgive him now that Vicki & Dean are moving on). No offence to Danny but he just doesn't seem suited to radio at all, or at least not R1.

The only possible justification I can think of is that none of the 'temp' DJs were high profile enough to cover for such a long time, and if James Cusack is going to get a permanent slot soon then giving it to him would have been awkward. I hate to say it but it's as if he's ticked a box for 'representation' here.

1 hour ago, Bluestraw said:

Jamie is a far better choice than Danny, and that's saying something! At least there they seemed to admit the error and brought Katie in to make it a pretty decent threesome IMO.

I can't actually understand any logic in Aled's choice about Danny. It's like a very bold experiment but one that was destined to fail before it began. Possibly the worst decision of his tenure (if we forgive him now that Vicki & Dean are moving on). No offence to Danny but he just doesn't seem suited to radio at all, or at least not R1.

The only possible justification I can think of is that none of the 'temp' DJs were high profile enough to cover for such a long time, and if James Cusack is going to get a permanent slot soon then giving it to him would have been awkward. I hate to say it but it's as if he's ticked a box for 'representation' here

I think had Danny been booked as a one off or co-host for only a weekends worth of shows it would’ve been fine. I can see how Aled would want to book them to show commitment to supporting queer and non-binary talent from the queer community and culture scene. But over the years of take-overs there are many good talented LGBTQ+ in the radio industry. 

Just want to politely remind that their pronouns are they/them.

No different to giving Paddy McGuiness weeks of covering Rylan. BBC bosses are quite happy to give the job to a 'name' whether they have the credentials or not. Paddy performed better.

It does seem a bit silly to have all of these early breakfast trials and not make use of those on the rota.

This might sound small, but hear me out. I think its fair to say regular radio 1 listeners know the whatsapp no matter if they use it or not. To hear danny say "03, 700, 100" and miss off third of the number and it happens constantly and after however many weeks now sounds stupid.

While we can get barked at for not listening to the in-house hospital radio service at least they know the number. When you put that with saying big weekend is in London, the ref of "cozie livs" like its nothing which was in such poor taste, the whole show is a major turn off and not a vibe. Even the brilliant playlist couldn't save it on Friday and we had to switch.

My prediction on this is a nice idea but one that hasn't worked and it won't reappear in the same way. Someone said there's an abba pod on sounds? That's probably the best place because their live shows are really bad.

15 minutes ago, onlyME said:

No different to giving Paddy McGuiness weeks of covering Rylan. BBC bosses are quite happy to give the job to a 'name' whether they have the credentials or not. Paddy performed better.

It does seem a bit silly to have all of these early breakfast trials and not make use of those on the rota.

Radio 2 have always generally used 'names' both for cover and weekend slots... some better than others. Rylan was given the Saturday afternoons after covering Zoe Ball on that show once or twice, and that turned out to be a good decision.

Although, I agree where Radio 1 is concerned, they generally use someone already on the network, or a freelancer with extensive radio background... and with the focus in the past few years with giving opportunities to up and coming presenters, it seems a bit odd that they've gone down this route with both Drivetime and Saturday morning. Considering it's only till July, they could've easily given the opportunity to someone who's done Christmas/bank holiday, Friday early breakfast etc.

"I'll let you into a secret," Danny tells the Mirror earlier this week when discussing how they got their new Radio 1 job. "The initial meeting that I had with the head of Radio 1 [Aled Haydn Jones] - who I will forever be grateful to as he really did throw a bone my way - he did say 'I'm either making the best decision Radio 1 has made in years or the biggest mistake, so please be good'."

Danny has been speaking to the Mirror about his critics. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/danny-beards-savage-response-critics-32470862