Unofficial Mills

Jordan North to leave Radio 1

Jono

2 hours ago, Tea20 said:

I was gutted when I heard the news yesterday, almost as much as poor Katie sounded. 💔

I grew up close to Rock FM's broadcast area, and although we didn't regularly have Rock on as the signal was poor, sometimes we got in the the car or heard it in shops a bit further from home. I remember hearing Jordan on Rock FM and thinking at the time what a brilliant presenter he was (Mills level of radio brilliance!), so was really pleased when he became the supply teacher on R1, and later given regular shows. 

I'll miss him on R1, but not sure if I'll retune from Greg at breakfast if he's on at the same time elsewhere. 

Perhaps the bigger shock in yesterday's announcement was who would be Vick's new co-host! My afternoon go-to station might have to be R2 now, for Scott and Sara (and Jo), although the thought of being an R2 regular makes me feel old...

I think these days people seem to switch in and out of different stations anyway.

3 hours ago, Jono said:

Nice tribute from Katie. Hoping one day they're reunited on the radio. https://www.instagram.com/p/C3cxW2mI542/?igsh=a3I0YTZyNzl1cTNj

I feel it could happen soon as whether its Capital, Kiss and Hits Radio. I can I see the past few years of poaching has looked at Radio 2 with exodus of Claudia, Graham Norton, Chris Evans, Ken Bruce and Simon Mayo to put a few names down think networks will look at the market south of the over fifties demographics and look who they can snag from 1 Xtra and Radio 1.

3 minutes ago, Darren m said:

Sound to me like he was let go then maybe the capital thing is wrong I’m sure someone will poach him 

I mean we’ll know next week about the Capital rumour I can only assume but if it isn’t I like many other listeners will be dumbfounded and be curious on the terms of being sacked by the BBC to be replaced in an unpopular decision by someone two years older who hasn’t had any experience as a radio broadcaster expect a few times of covering shows on the station not the same level of what ticks and engages with the stations audience.

18 minutes ago, Wandering Belle said:

One thing that keeps going through my mind - there’s been loads of times Jordan has joked about getting sacked and how Radio 1 bosses would handle it. Now he’s left and we’ve seen how Radio 1 bosses have let it play out.  

One of the things I loved about Jordan was he was never afraid to speak his mind about certain Radio 1 decisions on air. Will never forget him criticising the whole Padam Padam situation last year on air. Which ultimately ended up in them adding it onto the C list months after it had actually impacted TikTok. I’m sure on Capital he’ll be allowed a lot more freedom on what he can say.

14 minutes ago, ianwilk1999 said:

How rushed do we think it actually is? Grimmy said bye, Annie said bye, Scott and Chris said bye. Do we think he got told you can't say bye?

Reading between the lines of everyone’s posts/comments and the way announcement was made it doesn’t look like the bosses are happy about it at all. Still shocked that they announced Jordan’s replacement before announcing he was leaving.

1 minute ago, AndyK77 said:

I think people are seeing complexity that isn’t there.

Clearly Jordan was offered Capital Breakfast, BBC couldn’t match the job or money - told them he was going and they decided to immediately take him off air after the Ken Bruce mess.

I agree, it’s no secret that Jordan wanted Breakfast, so if he wasn’t going to get it at R1, an offer to go to Capital Breakfast would be very tempting

4 minutes ago, Mercede5 said:

I agree, it’s no secret that Jordan wanted Breakfast, so if he wasn’t going to get it at R1, an offer to go to Capital Breakfast would be very tempting

He’s also going to be conscious of his age - if he doesn’t do this now it’s probably not going to happen.

its just sad that the Ken Bruce / Greatest Hits thing took the p and the BBC rightly didn’t want a repeat.

It's been great today to actually hear from Jordan on social media and tributes in full from quite a few of the other Radio 1 DJs who were close to Jordan like Katie and Vick. Ideally there'd be a proper on-air send off for Jordan but if not then this will do - it did feel awkward yesterday with the news being announced but outside of the Radio 1 post not much from other Radio 1 DJs and radio silence from Jordan when no doubt all of them wanted to post about it.

Do wonder if it was a directive from those in charge at Radio 1 for DJs to not do proper posts on your own social media until it was OK'd overall by the station for them to do so. 

1 hour ago, abertom said:

Sam and Danni on going home this week. 

Another few weeks off air for Vick Hope then 😁
Joking aside, a great opportunity for Sam & Danni to have a wider audience than usual and a go in a big slot and no doubt they'll do a great job.

And to clear I think Vick is great and you'd imagine the next few weeks are preparation for the relaunched show come March so not really 'a break' But with her honeymoon break and now another absence on-air,  it does feel like she's been off-air for Going Home this year more than she's actually been on.

22 minutes ago, coffeeandgin said:

It's been great today to actually hear from Jordan on social media and tributes in full from quite a few of the other Radio 1 DJs who were close to Jordan like Katie and Vick. Ideally there'd be a proper on-air send off for Jordan but if not then this will do - it did feel awkward yesterday with the news being announced but outside of the Radio 1 post not much from other Radio 1 DJs and radio silence from Jordan when no doubt all of them wanted to post about it.

Do wonder if it was a directive from those in charge at Radio 1 for DJs to not do proper posts on your own social media until it was OK'd overall by the station for them to do so. 

Which I think that is where the bbc are creating / having problems with in terms of over-vetting presenters personal social media accounts and it would be ridiculous for the BBC to over censure and seek to approve certain statements from its presenters. I think it makes a less desirable place to work. Cant imagine the presenters liked to be told how to post.

2 hours ago, ianwilk1999 said:

How rushed do we think it actually is? Grimmy said bye, Annie said bye, Scott and Chris said bye. Do we think he got told you can't say bye?

I suspect so, given that he’s going to a direct rival.

2 hours ago, Jbb said:

Reading between the lines of everyone’s posts/comments and the way announcement was made it doesn’t look like the bosses are happy about it at all. Still shocked that they announced Jordan’s replacement before announcing he was leaving.

I don’t understand the problem with announcing that Jordan was leaving second. Apart from Scott, when they didn’t have a replacement lined up, they’ve always structured their press releases to have the announcement of the new presenter first, as seen by Adele, Grimmy and Annie. Yes, the rest of the reception has been extremely cold, but I don’t blame them given that he’s going to a direct rival at the peak of his career.

20 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

I suspect so, given that he’s going to a direct rival.

I don’t understand the problem with announcing that Jordan was leaving second. Apart from Scott, when they didn’t have a replacement lined up, they’ve always structured their press releases to have the announcement of the new presenter first, as seen by Adele, Grimmy and Annie. Yes, the rest of the reception has been extremely cold, but I don’t blame them given that he’s going to a direct rival at the peak of his career.

Exactly - I love Jordan lots - easily my favourite radio presenter of recent years but I 100% get the BBC's position which has been dramatically affected by what Greatest Hits Radio did with Ken Bruce.

They are bound to be mighty p'd off that one of their biggest talents is leaving them.  I think Aled's words were respectful but low-key.

You start to wonder if this is why Jordan didn't cover Breakfast at the start of the year as all this was starting.  This won't have started this week but been an ongoing dialogue.

I just hope the move to Capital works for Jordan.  I get the impression the big commercial stations have a more liberal attitude to how their Breakfast presenter behaves versus the rest of the schedule.

4 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

Exactly - I love Jordan lots - easily my favourite radio presenter of recent years but I 100% get the BBC's position which has been dramatically affected by what Greatest Hits Radio did with Ken Bruce.

They are bound to be mighty p'd off that one of their biggest talents is leaving them.  I think Aled's words were respectful but low-key.

You start to wonder if this is why Jordan didn't cover Breakfast at the start of the year as all this was starting.  This won't have started this week but been an ongoing dialogue.

I just hope the move to Capital works for Jordan.  I get the impression the big commercial stations have a more liberal attitude to how their Breakfast presenter behaves versus the rest of the schedule.

Depends on the presenter they hiring and what show they want for them. Ken Bruce was given freedom beyond breakfast to be quite liberal in what he can do and make that the star show for GHR. Think it might be the same for some of Virgin Radio’s stuff. I do think that Radio 1 and the BBC shouldn’t be cold when people leave their organisation.

1 minute ago, Darren m said:

When did Jordan cover breakfast last on radio 1:I think he will be good on capital esp working with Chris they were really funny on afternoons when he covered Scott 

Yes, and when he covered Scott it showed how good the quality of the content was going out. If Scott was of there wouldn’t be any episodes on the podcast feed of when Dev, Matt Edmonson, Alice Levine etc would present with Chris but remember they did one week an exception and did some funny off the cuff stuff around being mind blown and engaged in listener interaction.

1 minute ago, BBCAaron said:

Depends on the presenter they hiring and what show they want for them. Ken Bruce was given freedom beyond breakfast to be quite liberal in what he can do and make that the star show for GHR. Think it might be the same for some of Virgin Radio’s stuff. I do think that Radio 1 and the BBC shouldn’t be cold when people leave their organisation.

At a human level I agree - Jordan is probably one of the biggest personalities Radio 1 has seen in many years - not through his name but just his style.  Look at how much he got referred to on other shows.  His "driving thing" this week ended up featuring on virtually all daytime shows in the end.