Jump to content

Annie Mac to leave Radio 1


Jono
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, GeekTalk51 said:

Quite sad that out of that really strong weekend lineup of 

6am: Dev

10am: Matt Edmondson 

1pm: Alice Levine

None of them will have reached a weekday slot, both Dev and Alice are gone, and it’s looking less and less likely as time goes on that Matt and Mollie will go to weekdays, after an effective demotion taking them off Friday breakfast.  Matt was 100% Scott’s designated successor for a few years but Scott outlasted Edmondson’s viability for that position in the eyes of R1 management!?

Don’t think he was ever to take over from Scott as very rare the over presenter takes over the show but felt times Matt and Chris Stark would present was good do miss Matt Edmonson having a podcast of his show 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, BBCAaron said:

I feel on Friday not doing breakfast slight demotion but assume that there could be more listeners on afternoons than breakfast at the weekends they sounding good on that slot a good duo I did feel that they could’ve countinued in that slot for continuity as have been switched around abit 

Agreed, a slight demotion, but it balances out, higher profile slot on Sat and Sun, much lower profile on Fri.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GeekTalk51 said:

Agreed, a slight demotion, but it balances out, higher profile slot on Sat and Sun, much lower profile on Fri.

One thing I think they could’ve done in a switch around got Mollie King to present a flagship pop and mainstream show in more primetime slot as a half an hour of new pop playlist could’ve been done better. As think it could do some new music Friday stuff better as it was better when the music releases went to Friday as they seemed to then better on the Friday reflect discuss and play the new music of the day 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GeekTalk51 said:

Good shout.

Yes think there would be appetite for move them there as there hasn’t been a duo since Colin and Edith in afternoons (think) would see them do that slot quite different 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GeekTalk51 said:

Quite sad that out of that really strong weekend lineup of 

6am: Dev

10am: Matt Edmondson 

1pm: Alice Levine

None of them will have reached a weekday slot, both Dev and Alice are gone, and it’s looking less and less likely as time goes on that Matt and Mollie will go to weekdays, after an effective demotion taking them off Friday breakfast.  Matt was 100% Scott’s designated successor for a few years but Scott outlasted Edmondson’s viability for that position in the eyes of R1 management!?

Maybe just me, but I never thought that lineup was so strong. I am a fan of Matt, but neither Dev nor Alice alone really impressed me. The current weekend lineup is way better - albeit Adele is on the way out rather than the way up, and M&M are probably destined to remain weekend / cover presenters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bluestraw said:

Maybe just me, but I never thought that lineup was so strong. I am a fan of Matt, but neither Dev nor Alice alone really impressed me. The current weekend lineup is way better - albeit Adele is on the way out rather than the way up, and M&M are probably destined to remain weekend / cover presenters.

Honestly agreed with you did feel bit disappointed sometime when he presented sitting in on Greg James drive. Alice was ok neither impressive not terrible sometimes she did over talk ‘avant--garden was a phrase she often said was annoying. Bit petty to mention they weren’t as bad together kind of made eachother sound better she was good from what remember in the early Phil and Alice. Did also find it was annoying when people came on to play a pretty average features he would say ‘play nicely’.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

On 4/20/2021 at 10:20 AM, Ant L said:

Wow, this reshuffle has the best and the worst changes at the same time. Impressive.

I'm okay with Annie leaving the weekday show, I've always thought that someone else should have followed Zane to begin with, someone with the same energy, like Phil Taggart (he even said in his last show how odd was to him at first to get the chill show) or now Jack Saunders (that guy is so enthusiastic about music, he could even sell Macarena to me if he had to i swear). She did a great job though, but it could have been better.

Friday evenings on the other hand... without Annie, Thursdays are going to be followed by Saturdays i'm afraid. An iconic show gone, end of an era. (But who's gonna do the "Danny Mac" pun on air first? My money is on Scott.)

But the worst part is her departure makes a new Grimmy & Annie show impossible. Whenever these two end up together on air is pure radio gold. Could've been the greatest sendoff for both of them, doing a show together again for a few years, maybe on weekend evenings, for example.

RMC's monotone mumbling rap playlist is off 8PM and Jack is in: best change ever! Not sure about Clara, but we'll see, I really like her voice, and if the music is fine, I'm in. Daily Sian, thumbs up, then it gets problematic... really problematic. So, a single hour of Sian (odd), René/Annie/Benji cut back to an hour (WHAT?! why?!), and then 5 hours of N-O-T-H-I-N-G (but recyclable filler and podcasts I assume)?! This must be a joke! Or a typo. Actual new music content: 1 hour, filler crap: 5? This is mad. I hope i got that wrong...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 10:16 AM, Lily Georgia said:

Presenters for Big Weekend:

 

Sat/Sun

7.00-10.30 Adele

10.30-14.00 Jordan

14.00-17.30 Matt

17.30-21.00 Charlie (Sat) / Katie (Sun)

 

Mon

7.00-10.30 Greg

10.30-14.00 Clara

14.00-17.00 Scott

17.00-20.00 Charlie

 

18 hours ago, Jono said:

It doesn't sound like Annie has any plans for work elsewhere right now 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/radio-1-dj-annie-mac-i-ve-quit-at-42-for-the-children-kpz2b9kvt

It seems nothing is signed and is in the diary think it’s going to be more of a sabbatical length maybe a gap year out of broadcasting to return to radio with the right show as she on the one show she’s not leaving radio even though is for short bit without having nothing planned but return with the right show. I say 6M possibly but wonder whether she’d do more of a journalistic interview type show and podcast for radio. Maybe if there was a commercial outlet to park on the BBC’s cross genre specialist output think a station where she’d have creative and editorial freedom for what a show she’d present would sound like interms of content and playlist seems like she’d work with Could end up on Apple Music 1, or maybe if Global ever launched a spin off station from Radio X called X-posure something like that. Could see her freelancing for mean time maybe with the odd occasional radio cover or freelance writing and podcasts.

But think it’s case as time her children come home from school it’s time probably feels wants that evening time to be family time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Darren m said:

6 music is moving to Manchester though so she would have to move up north 

Tbh, see in a couple of years when that does happening and the pressure the bbc is in commercial on specialist Music and talk content commercial dig heels into make an alternative service. Would see maybe if the likes of Global or Bauer or Wireless had sense would hire 6M talent to create more cross genre specialist as feel that Absolute 20s could be rebranded or Rad X getting spin offs to focus on broad range of genres. From my perspective if were Rad X, Virgin, Absolute etc would in talks to get Mary Anne Hobbs, Lauren Laverne, Annie Mac, Nemone, Huw Stephens, Phil Taggart to launch a 6M or R1,R1X style station surprised NME didn’t try to invest money in doing something with streams and launching more better programming. I’d be doing that. Think many of their figure heads would work good on such projects.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, vorti said:

Today Annie asked Grimmy to co-host with her on the 29th of July, it's gonna be a must listen.

I’ve been wondering if anyone remembers or keep notes for what presenters first and last songs are. Feel this will be must listen some hilghtlights some surprises and music selections 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 9:11 PM, BBCAaron said:

I’ve been wondering if anyone remembers or keep notes for what presenters first and last songs are. Feel this will be must listen some hilghtlights some surprises and music selections

I don't exactly keep notes, but remember a few I heard: Grimmy & Annie finished their last sunday night together with Crew Love by Drake & The Weeknd, Grimmy's first on breakfast was Paris by Jay-Z & Kanye West, Greg's first on breakfast was Levels by Avicii, picked by a random texter... I can't recall more, but I usually save first-last shows, so I can maybe look up a few if I have the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vorti said:

I don't exactly keep notes, but remember a few I heard: Grimmy & Annie finished their last sunday night together with Crew Love by Drake & The Weeknd, Grimmy's first on breakfast was Paris by Jay-Z & Kanye West, Greg's first on breakfast was Levels by Avicii, picked by a random texter... I can't recall more, but I usually save first-last shows, so I can maybe look up a few if I have the time.

Greg’s last song on drivetime was Bubblegum by Mystery Jets and the penultimate song if I remember correctly was Circle of Life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dan18F1 said:

Greg’s last song on drivetime was Bubblegum by Mystery Jets and the penultimate song if I remember correctly was Circle of Life.

I have a weird feeling his first ever song when he covered was Reverend & The Makers, Heavyweight Champion Of The World. I remember he discussed it a few years ago when he was on drive time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last night’s penultimate show was a brilliant listen, with Grimmy and Annie essentially hosting a two hour nostalgia trip.

Last show starting in a few minutes, and it really feels like the end of an era, as Annie’s show has introduced me and many many others to loads of new music over the years.

I’m sure Clara will do a great job at championing new artists on Radio 1, and I’m excited to hear the new era of the station. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely loved last night's Grimmy & Annie (does anyone call them Gr'Annie?) co-host, shows why they're both going to be so missed - was a wonderful trip down memory lane.

Here goes the last show - so sad it's the end but you know it's going to be brilliant.

Is Annie the best Radio 1 DJ ever? She could just be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Annie.

Of all the DJ’s to come and go she’s one who should be in the conversation for biggest impact ever. Growing up she’s always been the voice of dance music. I regret not tuning in each week for her now. But when I did. I always loved her passion. She’s a great loss to the station. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darren m said:

Me too gonna miss her shows 

I haven’t listened as much over the past year or so. But when I did especially around 14-19 the dance music she played was some of the best I’m going to try over the weekend or next week or so may create playlists of some of the shows on bbc radio with tracklistings is there any where can get the track listings for early Zane Lowe, Breeze Block Mary Anne Hobbs, John Peel etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, anothernerd said:

Annie.

Of all the DJ’s to come and go she’s one who should be in the conversation for biggest impact ever. Growing up she’s always been the voice of dance music. I regret not tuning in each week for her now. But when I did. I always loved her passion. She’s a great loss to the station. 

I think she’s up there for the music broadcasters up there with John Peel, Mary Anne Hobbs, Zane Lowe, Annie Nightingale and Pete Tong kind of think they should really name studios at Radio 1 in NBH after the most prestigious broadcasters think Clara doing the Chart, live lounge and soon the flag ship music show may end up in high regard. I kind of think it would be good to maybe tempting to do couple of twitter World Cup polls like Richard Osman and other accounts did on other stuff but on Radio 1 stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I think she’s up there for the music broadcasters up there with John Peel, Mary Anne Hobbs, Zane Lowe, Annie Nightingale and Pete Tong kind of think they should really name studios at Radio 1 in NBH after the most prestigious broadcasters think Clara doing the Chart, live lounge and soon the flag ship music show may end up in high regard. I kind of think it would be good to maybe tempting to do couple of twitter World Cup polls like Richard Osman and other accounts did on other stuff but on Radio 1 stuff

Think you say think a lot nearly in every other sentence I think ;)  Why don’t you start it on Twitter and see if it takes off? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...