Unofficial Mills

Tom Deacon joins Radio 1 and Switch changes

StevieFM

Comedian and presenter Tom Deacon is joining BBC Radio 1 to present a new Sunday night show, it has been announced today.

Tom, 23, will host a show from 7.00 to 9.00pm as part of a reshuffle of Radio 1's Sunday night schedule.

An award-winning stand-up comedian, Tom has also presented The 5:19 Show on BBC Switch since September 2008. The programme transmits live every weekday at 5:19pm on bbc.co.uk/switch and on Saturday afternoons on BBC Two – and his new radio show will take on the same name.

Tom says: "I'm really excited to have my own 5:19 Show on Radio 1, I just can't wait to get in the studio and start having fun!"

Tom's new show will be part of a collection of programmes on a Sunday night that will be known as the Switch Zone – kicking off with the Chart Show with Reggie Yates at 4.00pm and running through until midnight.

Tom will be followed at 9.00pm by The Surgery With Aled – the station's weekly social action programme. In a new hour-long slot, The Surgery With Aled will have increased speech content and offer an intensive one-stop shop for teens looking for help and advice on a range of subjects at a more accessible time.

Nick Grimshaw and Annie Mac move from their current Sunday show (7.00-10.00pm) into a later slot (10.00pm-12midnight), promising a programme packed full with great music and guests.

Radio 1's Chart Show with Reggie Yates continues to air on Sundays from 4.00 to 7.00pm, counting down to the UK's new official number one.

Ben Cooper, Deputy Controller, BBC Radio 1, says: "Tom has been doing a fantastic job with Switch so I'm really pleased to bring him to Radio 1 and his new show means we are strengthening our relationship with Switch even further.

"Our Sunday line-up offers something for all of our younger audiences, from a newly-refocused Surgery, which will be able to react quicker to the stories that are affecting our young audiences every week, to the UK's only official Chart Show with Reggie Yates, and an exciting new going-to-bed show with Nick and Annie."

The new line-up for Sunday evenings starts on Sunday 28 March 2010.

Radio 1 announced last week that Matt Edmondson, 24, has joined the station to appear on Fearne Cotton's show every Friday, reporting on all the latest entertainment news, as well as deputising for presenters when they are off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/01_january/15/tom.shtml

Viv, the idea of the Switch block of programming is to specifically target the younger audience. So don't get your knickers in a twist.

Pity to hear they're shortening the surgery and worse, giving Deacon airtime. I thought it was as good day when they stopped using his voice on promos.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

So...

4pm Reggie Yates

7pm Tom Deacon

9pm The Surgery with Aled

10pm Switch with Annie and Nick

I like that The Surgery is back when it once was at 9pm but shortening it doesn't seem right. I would have kept Annie and Nick on at 7pm as they seem suited for that slot. Tom Deacon is likely to be hit and miss and surely keeping kids up until later for entertainment is a bit odd so might have suited 10pm to 12am for now?

I wasn't getting my knix in a twist. I'm just noting the comment "for teens", and thinking about it....

I have a point though: do the twenties and 30s not get help any longer in the new format for Sundays.

Sunday nights have been BBC Switch aimed at teens for the past couple of years. It's not a new innovation.

I agree. I hope the new "intensive" idea doesn't result in the entire show feeling really 'rushed'.

I don't agree with the idea it will be "rushed". That sounds more like a criticism of production values. I believe Nihal and Radio 1's Stories show you can produce something effective in an hour. I do however believe that it will be a faster pace and more pressure on time which is unfortunate as some callers will have less time to tell their full story.

The show is currently 2 hours, if they cut out all the music maybe the talk will be 1 hour anyway, with the new 1 hour show the talk will just be more condensed.

Less music, more surgery talk the better.

I didn't think of that. It would make sense.

Switch with Annie and Nick can be OK sometimes, but I think Tom Deacon's new show is the first one that people in their 20s will be unable to enjoy. He strikes me as incredibly childish and irritating. The rest of the lineup seems OK, but I don't see the sense in having Grimshaw and Mac on at 10. What will they do if Deacon's already done the 'wackyness' earlier in the evening?

I'm 18 years old and normally a big fan of Radio 1. But I find Switch extremely patronising, childish and downright irritating. Deacon, Grimshaw, Mac, they're all the same. I like The Surgery, I like the chart show but when Radio 1 deliberatly try to target a youth audience they seem to develop and odd sense of humour that just doesn't appeal to me. I'll catch The Surgery and Chart once in a while but will avoid the rest like the plague.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I'm 18 years old and normally a big fan of Radio 1. But I find Switch extremely patronising, childish and downright irritating. Deacon, Grimshaw, Mac, they're all the same. I like The Surgery, I like the chart show but when Radio 1 deliberatly try to target a youth audience they seem to develop and odd sense of humour that just doesn't appeal to me. I'll catch The Surgery and Chart once in a while but will avoid the rest like the plague.

I don't know - I'm 21 but I find Annie and Nick alright if I want some background noise. It's a bit hit and miss depending on the guests.

Maybe we will see Tom Deacon becoming the pre-teen show with Annie and Nick developing more into something for the older teens overlapping with young adults due to the timing of the show.

I actually thought now Grimmy is on his own show they'd axe Grimmy for Tom Deacon.