Unofficial Mills

Jonathan Ross quits the BBC

fathomer90

Well- after months of speculation it's finally happened:

Jonathan Ross has announced he is leaving the BBC, after 13 years working for the corporation.

Ross, 49, who is one of the BBC's highest paid stars, said in a statement he had decided not to renegotiate his contract when it ends in July.

The star added that his decision to leave was not "financially motivated".

In 2008, the controversial host was suspended for making a series of phone calls to actor Andrew Sachs on Russell Brand's Radio 2 show.

One of the biggest stars at the BBC, Ross currently hosts his own Friday night chat show, Radio 2 show and a film review programme.

It was reported that his BBC contract, which secured his services until July 2010, was worth an unconfirmed £18m.

But it was expected that Ross would be asked to follow other big stars at the BBC, such as Bruce Forsyth and Chris Moyles, and accept a pay cut.

"Although I have had a wonderful time working for the BBC, and am very proud of the shows I have made while there, over the last two weeks I have decided not to re-negotiate when my current contract comes to an end," he said.

“ Working at the BBC has been a tremendous privilege, and I would like to thank everyone who has watched and listened so loyally over the last 13 years â€

Jonathan Ross

"While there, I have worked with some of the nicest and most talented people in the industry and had the opportunity to interview some of the biggest stars in the world, and am grateful to the BBC for such a marvellous experience.

"Lucrative offers"

"I would like to make it perfectly clear that no negotiations ever took place and that my decision is not financially motivated.

He said that he had previously turned down "more lucrative offers from other channels" because the BBC was "where I wanted to be".

He added: "As I have said before - I would happily have stayed there for any fee they cared to offer, but there were other considerations.

"I love making my Friday night talk show, my Saturday morning radio show and the Film Programme, and will miss them all."

The star said he will remain working for the BBC until the summer and will continue hosting the Bafta Film Awards, Comic Relief and other BBC specials.

"Working at the BBC has been a tremendous privilege, and I would like to thank everyone who has watched and listened so loyally over the last 13 years."

Jana Bennett, director of BBC Vision, said she could "understand" Ross's decision "following a difficult year".

She called him an "extremely talented broadcaster" and said all his programmes had been a "great success".

"I'm pleased that Jonathan will continue to apply his considerable abilities to the remaining six months of Friday Night, Film 2010 and his Radio 2 show," she said.

"I'm delighted that he will continue to present the Bafta awards and Comic Relief for BBC Television."

Ross has thanked fans posting on micro-blogging site Twitter, "Thanks for all the kind words about my decision. I feel sad that I can't keep making the shows so many of you love!"

The announcement comes a day after it was revealed that Graham Norton had signed a two year deal with the BBC.

Haha. Bill Bailey just said on Twitter that he's free to do Friday night shows. Now that would be good.

Sad to hear Wossy is leaving the Beeb, they are foolish to have treated him the way they did, and to let him go. Sure he'll pop up somewhere else pretty soon after his contract ends.

What will become of the four poofs?

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I wont be sorry to see the back of the annoying t**t. I dont know how he ever became so successful anyway. Mind you, its only a matter of time before he turns up somewhere else getting paid a better salary. All that money for all that trouble............. :x

friday night with chappers and dave !!!!!!!!!!

Maybe 3 years ago they could have gotten a show.

Replacements?

-Adam and Joe

-A return for Parkinson

-Graham Norton getting a more serious chat show

-And since we are here...Scott Mills

That's all I could think of right now.

Y4Ar5.png

shame really for Wossy, but he has been through a lot over the last year & he is held up as a example when anyone wants to moan at the BBC about something, just like his pay, he wasn't on £16 odd million, he gets paid for each show separately, Radio-2, Chat-Show & Film 2010, their are only six people who know how much he gets, himself, his wife, the boss of the BBC, his agent, his accountant & the tax man.

maybe he just wanted a break from it all, Jane is doing better & getting more work in movies by way of writing & he will do alright, not sure if ITV will take him though maybe CH4 or even CH5.

its going to be funny for all the people celebrating now that Wossy is going only to find that the chat show will be taken over by Graham Norton :giggle: if people don't like Wossy i cannot see those same people liking Graham.

i hope it isn't Graham Norton though, don't get me wrong i do like him & his chat shows are good, but i only watch them if there is a guest on that i like because you get to see a different side to them, i just cannot take Graham Norton seriously & he couldn't do a serious interview either, Wossy can do both he is very good on his Film 2010 show when interviewing & there is no messing about like on Friday Night with Wossy.

i am surprised that he didn't carry on doing Film 2010 though :( then again there is nothing stopping him re-joining the BBC next year or doing shows freelance because he has is own production company who help with Friday Night with Wossy.

i cannot see him disappearing from our screens forever though :)

:)

Sources close to Ross said the star had already had offers from US TV, as well as commercial channels in the UK including ITV and Channel 4. A spokesman for ITV said that the broadcaster had not made any offers to Ross, although sources say that the door is not closed on Ross projects.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jan/07/jonathan-ross-quits-bbc

Maybe he will go to America to do a late night talk show...but he doesn't last long because Americans find him rude. Yes rude not wude.

they seem to like Russell over there.

better Wossy than Parky or Wogan ever was, whenever they had a guest on their shows all they did was lick the gusts arse, Parky the best chat show ever don't make me laugh.

Wossy will do the next six months go to Russell & Katy's wedding & take it from there :)

don't think he would go to America though, he would love it & so would Jane for her movie work, but i don't think he would go because of his kids, never know though.

Moyles at R2 ! definitely cannot see that happening.

they seem to like Russell over there.

better Wossy than Parky or Wogan ever was, whenever they had a guest on their shows all they did was lick the gusts arse, Parky the best chat show ever don't make me laugh.

Wossy will do the next six months go to Russell & Katy's wedding & take it from there :)

don't think he would go to America though, he would love it & so would Jane for her movie work, but i don't think he would go because of his kids, never know though.

Moyles at R2 ! definitely cannot see that happening.

Parky had a great chat show because he was a very good listener. The key to his show is that he was able to set up his guests to talk candidly without saying a lot himself. It was content-based presenting rather than personality-based like Jonathan Ross is. Both good shows in their own right but clearly both set up in a different way.

I think...

Parky had a chat show where celebrities talked.

Ross has an entertainment/chat show...like getting out strange gadgets, having a food fight with Gordon Ramsey, things like that.

Strange we don't have more chat shows like those two. America seems to have tons of them.

Y4Ar5.png

Parky had a great chat show because he was a very good listener. The key to his show is that he was able to set up his guests to talk candidly without saying a lot himself. It was content-based presenting rather than personality-based like Jonathan Ross is. Both good shows in their own right but clearly both set up in a different way.

Parky never asked any questions, he just let them drone on about what they were there to sell & promote.

the chat shows in the USA are different to the ones in the UK, David Letterman used to be good but it's just stale now, Jay Leno was the best but now someone else has taken over the show, they are not so much chat shows but more of a commercial for what that days guest has to sell or promote, since Wossy came back from his break he has been markedly improved.

Wossy is no fool, he knew that the knives were out and he would have to take a sustantial pay cut in the summer. By making this announcement now, its on his terms and it stops the tablouds claiming a victory for their campaigns. He has efffectively put himself in the marketplace for the next 4 months so he can see what offers materialise, Very clever. Even more than Russel Brand, Wossy is like marmite and cuts a line across the generations. Older people don't get him at all. I'll miss him on TV and his radio podcasts but think he'll be back doing specials under his control for all channels pretty soon. He may say some controvertial things but he gives a lot of himself and thats why we love him. Thoroughly top bloke!

Parky never asked any questions, he just let them drone on about what they were there to sell & promote.

the chat shows in the USA are different to the ones in the UK, David Letterman used to be good but it's just stale now, Jay Leno was the best but now someone else has taken over the show, they are not so much chat shows but more of a commercial for what that days guest has to sell or promote, since Wossy came back from his break he has been markedly improved.

By the best, you mean "shitty hack wanker who loves fucking over all the other more talented late night hosts", right?

Because that's exactly what he is. Letterman is better than Leno ever was, and Conan O'Brien's strength has always been the segments with Conan visiting places. Even Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon seem more into their roles than Lazy Leno has been lately, now that he's pretty much single-handedly killed NBC and screwed everything up royally.

Ross has never been the same since he returned - his style has been greatly toned down and although he's trying very hard to be the UK version of Letterman, it tended to be very self-indulgent and easy at times. Nothing challenging or particularly memorable at all. If anything, Graham Norton has really made his mark in that area because his show is very entertaining in a unique way to other shows of the sort.

It's a shame that he's so into being an American citizen now, because Craig Ferguson is easily the best late night host in America and is Scottish-born and bred. He's probably not made for BBC, but he'd be right at home on Channel 4.