Unofficial Mills

R1 - not enough recurrents?

Roy H

I think they ought to add a few more recurrent songs to their daytime playlist, I'm hearing these just a bit too often lately:

Pendulum - Propane Nightmares

Panic At The Disco - Nine In The Afternoon

Chemical Bros - Galvanise

Hoosiers - Goodbye Mr A (playing as I type!!)

A.R.Rahman/Pussycat Dolls - J'ai Ho

Jason Mraz - I'm Yours

and the most outplayed song of all time, (not just on R1) The Killers - Human

What do you think?

To be honest, the songs mentioned in the first post aren't THAT bad...
True.

The Killers are not indie, by the way.

Some time ago, there was Jo Whiley who could easily smuggle some indie tracks into her show. Now, there's Fearne. I doubt she has as much influence on the music played on her show as Jo had.

unique...

Playing the same songs over and over again - no matter how good they are - is amateur and one of the differences between BBC and commerical radio
Excuse me, but that is exactly what Radio 1 is doing. The songs on hot rotation are played every three or four ours. And the playlist is rather small. The difference between BBC and commercial Radio is the speech. There's quite a lot of speech on Radio 1. On commercial radio, there is rarely more than a 30 second speech part between every three tracks...

unique...

a few years ago radio 1 used to like to play n.o.r.e - nothin' now and again, when half of the 12 year olds didn't know it becuase it was made in 2002. good to hear greg james play all falls down by kanye west the other day too.

i think it's a great idea to dig up the classics, linkin park points of authority and limp bizkit take a look around would be good to put on the roter. just as long as they don't go through the same 10 songs all the time it should work.

on the grid.

I've definitely noticed a drop in recurrents over the last few months. It used to be a guarantee that the second song in each half hour of Scott's show was a recurrent, with a rarer one at least once or twice a week.

A couple of my favorites' last plays courtesy of XMFan.com:

The Feeling - Sewn

Request: XM 29 - BBC Radio 1

Last Played: July 28, 2009 3:04 PM ET

The Rasmus - In The Shadows

Request: XM 29 - BBC Radio 1

Last Played: August 02, 2009 10:40 AM ET

Could it be late July to early August was a shift in strategy at Radio 1? That's about the time they cut back on the 1tro's and changed the male announcer too.