Unofficial Mills

Greg's new afternoon show

Dave1

but there was one where Edith went round the country doing various jobs, & that one where they went into a workplace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/gregjames/2009/07/day_1_of_the_summer_jobs_tour.html

before the show went towards movies there were some nice features, i cannot recall what most of them were

Ah.

Edith's show "about the movies"

Greg's show "......................."

... Something for everyone so it's not limited to a select listenership other than those who want Edith back.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so Greg has taken someone else's idea & feature again,

games, live lounge interview from Jo,

listener phone-in & innuendo bingo from Scott.

what has Greg's show got that the commercial shows on air at the same time don't have/do, if they (listeners) didn't like Edith's movies show, why would they move back to r1 when they can get exactly the same on a commercial station they already listen to.

:)

i don't really want to go on about Fearne in Greg's thread, it's not the new show people don't like, they just don't like Fearne, the same features are in the show & nothing has changed much feature wise.
Edith could have done the show in this new format easily fail to see the need for a dj change then.
So you would refuse to listen to Greg, but wouldn't mind if Edith did them. Yet you are telling us we're the ones with the vendetta? :)

So you would refuse to listen to Greg, but wouldn't mind if Edith did them. Yet you are telling us we're the ones with the vendetta? :)

it wouldn't make any difference, who was doing the show.

you won't listen to Fearne's show & nothing has changed on that show except the dj.

How unique of Greg to use features similar to other shows. I had forgotten that Edith had invented the concept of a movies-based radio show.

how ironic that everyone loves the afternoon show now Greg is the dj & everyone hates the lunchtime show now Fearne is the dj :rolleyes:

anyone can sit there & play music, not everyone can carry a show.

i get the feeling that nobody here is going to admit that the show has disappointed them.

as i said, i'm not going to get into a argument about it, because i know what you are all like & you just want to get a reaction.

There was WAAAAAAY to much coverage of films on Edith's show- once a week would've been more than enough. I did begin to warm to her near the end though, I must admit.

I don't see what's all that special about Greg- maybe if Scott wasn't around he'd seem more unique. I don't dislike him at all, I just wouldn't go out of my way to listen and I don't see what all the 'fuss' is about.

how ironic that everyone loves the afternoon show now Greg is the dj & everyone hates the lunchtime show now Fearne is the dj :rolleyes:

Simply not true. I'm not going to judge a show after two days - we'll wait and see how things unfold over time.

What I will say is that I like both Edith and Greg as radio personalities. They are good to listen to when they are just informally chatting. It was when Edith talked films that my interest waned. On the other hand I really dislike listening to Fearne talk on the radio, regardless of what she's talking about.

Simply not true. I'm not going to judge a show after two days - we'll wait and see how things unfold over time.

same here, its just that you lot hyped Greg up.

everyone seems to be railing against Fearne's show, i'm just saying that the features so far have been poor & the show doesn't have that something that the other shows have to make it different.

as i said, im not going to dislike Greg because he took over Edith's show, like everyone did when Colin & Edith took over from Mark & Lard.

i wonder if Jono & myself will ever agree ?

there must be something handshake.gif

it wouldn't make any difference, who was doing the show.

you won't listen to Fearne's show & nothing has changed on that show except the dj.

Exactly. But to me that is what annoys me. It's like saying "we'll just sack the DJ and carry on like nothing has happened". If Fearne was to impress me I'd want new ideas. Grimmy did that and after a big song and dance he won me over. The fact they've made it sound like a big holiday stint frustrates me.

i get the feeling that nobody here is going to admit that the show has disappointed them.

I've already given my views. I said I thought it was an alright first show. I didn't say it was perfect and said I much preferred Greg on early breakfast as he's a spontaneous DJ and I'm not such a fan of his 'stiff' formatted shows. That said it's easy listening and I prefer it to constant movies talk.

There was WAAAAAAY to much coverage of films on Edith's show- once a week would've been more than enough. I did begin to warm to her near the end though, I must admit.

I agree. I liked Edith's show on a Monday when she wasn't talking movies. I am looking forward to her weekend breakfast show because it might breathe some new life in to her radio work.

I don't see what's all that special about Greg- maybe if Scott wasn't around he'd seem more unique. I don't dislike him at all, I just wouldn't go out of my way to listen and I don't see what all the 'fuss' is about.
No one has said he's a radio legend or anything. I think Alan's somewhat built up that image with his overreactions. I threw the word 'genius' into it (which Alan pulled me up about - quite ironic seeing as Edith regularly used it!) but this was because I had found this innuendo particularly amusing.

My opinions on a Radio DJ stem further from just what I hear on the radio. It includes cover work, it includes interactivity away from a microphone, and it includes personality.

I like Greg especially based on personality. When I sent in some content he personally spoke to me to thank me. I have met him before at the Christmas party. And he even has posted on Unofficial Mills when he first joined. He has regularly wished the website happy christmas too. He's a keen responder to e-mails too and has the blog. All that I like in a DJ and it is something I fail to see in a lot of the newer presenters and maybe opens my mind more to his shows.

I know Fearne won't be putting us on top of our Christmas card list or anything, but she replaced Spoony, who was good with interactivity like Greg. Edith was pretty good at responding to messages on the old Radio 1 message board too but when they were scrapped she gave up on conversing away from the microphone apart from to the select fan ;)

What I will say is that I like both Edith and Greg as radio personalities. They are good to listen to when they are just informally chatting. It was when Edith talked films that my interest waned. On the other hand I really dislike listening to Fearne talk on the radio, regardless of what she's talking about.

I agree. I think Edith just needed a shake-up of format and I also think Greg (Fearne too) got lucky with the negative press Radio 1 is getting seeing as he's still relatively new, but there we go.

Anyway, I shall give it a rest now because poor old Edith is being made out to be awful due to the comparisons I am being forced to make to explain why I like Greg. I am hoping on Saturday I can praise her new show.

I don't have anything intelligent, or anything really, to add, but I thought I'd like to echo Jono's sentiments. Greg's appreciation of the people commenting on the blog always stood out to me, and the fact he makes an effort with that shows a lot - aswell as the talking on Twitter to people. My favourite times I've heard Early Breakfast have been when he's had free reign, is messing around.

I'm not sure what type of show Greg would really flourish in. He's a good DJ and so whatever timeslot he'll do well, it'll be an entertaining listen, but I'm not sure what would be the show where he really takes off will be: I'd like to hope we can get some of the Early Breakfast magic, but with another timeslot. I'm not sure a team or a sidekick would be best, or which timeslot would do it... he's got time though, and that rambling there is more about finding the show he will be "best" in.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

I know some said that they should have had things prepared ready for the show but I think a lot of it that they need to find the happy medium of what features they prepared will and wont work. Much like Moyles has done over the years try it dont work bin it. Sadly some shows keep the features that clearly dont work. Gregs show is very much listener engaged which is good. With any luck we will get the early breakfast madness is some form.

james_ryder.png

to be honest, in my opinion the show has gotten worse.

I found Greg quite amusing on his early show whenever i caught it, as it was pretty immature and quircky, but for some reason i just dont think it works at this time slot. His features are pretty lame, when compared to, for example, OWO etc., and his general chat is a lot worse than say Edith's or Moyle's is/was.

www.twitter.com/#!/AlistairRobb93

to be honest, in my opinion the show has gotten worse.

I found Greg quite amusing on his early show whenever i caught it, as it was pretty immature and quircky, but for some reason i just dont think it works at this time slot. His features are pretty lame, when compared to, for example, OWO etc., and his general chat is a lot worse than say Edith's or Moyle's is/was.

Give him time. He's never done a show like this before, and he's three days in. I'm not enjoying this show as much as Early Breakfast, he's in generic daytime DJ mode at the minute, not Greg James mode. Hopefully he'll settle down and get back to being his normal self.

Having said that, I'm enjoying listening to his show considerably more than Edith. I find him considerably more interesting to listen to and despite being a massive film fan and a Film Studies A Level Student, listening to Edith drone on about films bored me, so I'm glad of the change. That said I like James King.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Although Greg has yet to find his feet, you can feel in the show that they are trying - the show is very different to Ediths and has a high degre of interaction and audience participation. It sounds like much mor effort has gone into - when tbh greg didnt need to win anyone round - he already has a big following.

What is so annoying about Fearnes show is that you can hear she isnt trying, and they have no ideas about a new show - and you cant see it going anywhere and being a must listen! It wont gain a following. The other annoying thing is that Fearne must have known, or someone on her team, that this was going to be a hard win, and if she even had the slightest interest in the listeners she would be putting the effort in. It sounds like its her show for her and she has been given the show as a reward for HER. the show is about how great she is and not us the listener.

Ok, Greg has been fortunate in keeping his team (neil) and Fearne has to learn to work with a new team but that is no excuse for being a bad stand in. Im expecting jo back next week - just sounds like Fearne in for Jo this week.

He's getting quirkier. I think comments were taken on board. Peter Dickson is good. Random callers is funny. The good afternoon game was great. Far more interactive than Fearne and Edith. My gripe is he shouts people out. I want to hear more than names. Give an anecdote rather than listing names.

PS. To Alan, every day before three Greg focuses on something different. Monday is albums, Tuesday is games, Wednesday is sport, Thursday is music predictions, Friday is movies.

yeah i know Jono,

the albums was done before anyway, i thought the games & sport were pointless as (games as i said before) & the sport was very very poor in detail, nothing more than what had already been said in the news.

today is was just background noise, nothing caught my attention at all, i did hear that 'funny thing on the radio the other-day' thing he does, it wasn't funny though :/ Scott does it much better.

has anyone else noticed that the music now played on Greg's show is a lot different to when Edith was on ?

it seems a lot more pop & much more like the music you get on the crap commercial stations.

That's simply not true. Greg plays the playlist. So did Edith. In fact he gets more free spots than she did because he does the 10 minute takeover.