Unofficial Mills

Moyles breaches OFCOM code

Jono

Will Young didn't complain and judging by the quote it was a typical off-the-cuff song he had come up with done in jest. I think Will would recognise this. It doesn't seem something intended to upset the gay community. He was talking to Radio 1 at the BRITs so couldn't have been too fussed.

I don't know what he said (don't often listen that early in the morning) but I'm guessing its another case of "politically correct" Britain and a bunch of complainers.

Didn't badly bleeped TV (which was well funny) have to end because of stupid complainers.

Sorry if for any spelling mistakes, I'm dyspraxic.

Guest inxces4308

Full Story, not much added but its a pile of shit anyway:

Mar 23, 2009 - Chris Moyles has been found in breach of an Ofcom rule with his impression of Will Young that he aired on BBC Radio 1 on the 20th January this year.

Moyles, while discussing Will Young’s birthday with his team, gave his own take on two of the singer’s hits, Evergreen and Leave Right Now. He then proceeded to imitate the singer, adopting an effeminate, high-pitched voice. On the former, he substituted the song’s lyrics with his own, including the line, “It’s my birthday, gonna wear my new dress tonight”. While on the latter he sang, “I get camper by the hour, oh, would you look at the muck in here. I’m Will Young and I’m gay.”

Ofcom received eight complaints from listeners who were concerned that Chris Moyles ridiculed Will Young because of his sexuality. The complainants also said that

the comments were offensive and derogatory towards the gay community.

In response to the Ofcom’s enquiries as to whether the material had contravened Rule 2.3 of the Code – material that may cause offence must be justified by the context - the BBC responded that Young was not being ridiculed because of his sexuality, though they did concede that Moyles’ comments were misjudged and unacceptable. Adding that the Controller of Radio 1 had since spoken to both Moyles and his production team about the matter in an effort to remind, “not to inadvertently perpetuate certain stereotypes.”

In summing up, Ofcom stated that it was concerned both by the material, and in particular the language used and the tone and manner in which the comments were made. Adding that it had potential to cause considerable offence. Judging that the programme had breached Rule 2.3. It’s the second time that Moyles’ prgramme has breached the Ofcom Code.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.4535

The Daily Mail must be in a quandary - a chance to get at Moyles and the BBC but in doing so having to support a pro-gay opinion.

They'll implode!

8 complaints. Millions of listeners. Hmm.

I'm gay and I've never found Moyles offensive in the least. My friends tease me with worse and I give as good as I get. Some people are too precious.

how was it offensive ?

Will, talks in a slightly high voice, is effeminate/camp & says he is gay, Moyles did a fair impression then.

for example Rory Bremner does impressions sometimes in a derogatory manner, isn't that then wrong, & what about the David Walliams 'Gay-ominter' in the Sun newspaper, shurley that's also offencive to David & gay people.

im willing to bet that none of the eight people who complained are gay, thus their opinion doesn't really count.

:)

I remember hearing this and thinking it was a bit risqué.

The comments about 'well, Young wasn't offended' are irrelevant in this situation because people's problem with it is the possible 'homophobic' angle; I don't agree, it was done in jest, but it does have the potential to be offensive to some.

Don't say to complainers 'get a life' - if they feel this was out of order, they have a right to complain. Its all very well saying 'don't listen' but if it adds to a negative stereotype then something should be done.

However, it was, as I say, done in jest, and nothing more should be said on the matter.

Do I as a taxpayer fund OFCOM ????? because if I do i want a parlimentry watchdog to look into why they are wasting my money like this. We're in a recession, if OFCOM have got nothing better to do than chase up meaningless comments then maybe the money could be diverted into say... getting the economy going.

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

Do I as a taxpayer fund OFCOM ????? because if I do i want a parlimentry watchdog to look into why they are wasting my money like this. We're in a recession, if OFCOM have got nothing better to do than chase up meaningless comments then maybe the money could be diverted into say... getting the economy going.

yes you do

:)

These left wing do gooders should except that they are not doing any good in society people are now scared to have a joke and a laugh with people because of it. I understand if people get offended by racism and stuff like that but has Chris ever been racist? no them 8 lossers should get a life.

....Wow.

Anyway, How could Moyles be homophobic? He's friends with Scott isn't he? Aled works on his show doesn't he? I understand that people have a right to complain, we all do.

So maybe we should complain about the complaints! Let's REALLY get OFCOM's head spinning ;)

www.drainpipeclothing.com

Did anyone listen to todays show. Its not on the iPlayer yet which sometimes means BBC think some content isnt suitable. ODD :confused:

Also interesting note on Parfitts fake Twitter:

andyparfittAnother day, another Moyles gay comment to deal with. We can only use @ahj as an excuse so many times. Have fun @BBCRadio1PR

james_ryder.png

See I think he did overstep the mark on this one. I heard it when it went our and thought it was a bit too much. It's not whether Will Young was offended but rather the overall tone that Chris was portraying. If the beeb we're gonna do anything like suspend him they'd have already done it. I doubt he's got off Scott free but we'll never know. Anyhoo it's been dealt with now presumably anyway.

Sometimes here, sometimes not.