Unofficial Mills

Matt and Mollie to replace Dean and Vicky

Ash101

2 minutes ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

Given the announcement of Jamie joining Vick, stating how popular he was with the younger listeners, I can’t help but wonder what the announcement for Matt & Mollie is going to be?

I’m ‘too old’ for R1, so it has me wondering whether they are either finally realising the value of experienced presenters, or clutching at straws because the ship is sinking?

It’s time for R1 to get EXPERIENCED presenters. There isn’t many on the current schedule. So many free agents up for grabs that would be amazing on R1 

Alex Mansuroglu from Kiss

Tinea Taylor from Kiss 

Lauren Layfield from Capital 

surely there’s gotta be a convo there!

3 minutes ago, Sarah Johnson said:

It’s time for R1 to get EXPERIENCED presenters. There isn’t many on the current schedule. So many free agents up for grabs that would be amazing on R1 

Alex Mansuroglu from Kiss

Tinea Taylor from Kiss 

Lauren Layfield from Capital 

surely there’s gotta be a convo there!

I think that Alex Masuroglu should stay at Kiss as he is an asset they need and a goiod talent they shouldn’t pass on although the two mentioned succeeding his name on your list no longer work at the stations they were at think there needs to be chances for those who haven’t had experience on national radio to have a chance at presenting on the station in key slots. I think a national station like radio 1 needs to be where presenters make their names and find it a bit to commercial, too safe and populist to continually trying to pick the players out from the opposing team.

5 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I think that Alex Masuroglu should stay at Kiss as he is an asset they need and a goiod talent they shouldn’t pass on although the two mentioned succeeding his name on your list no longer work at the stations they were at think there needs to be chances for those who haven’t had experience on national radio to have a chance at presenting on the station in key slots. I think a national station like radio 1 needs to be where presenters make their names and find it a bit to commercial, too safe and populist to continually trying to pick the players out from the opposing team.

Alex is leaving Kiss next month so would be a great move over…start of as cover and ease in to a show end of the year.

I disagree with you though. There needs to be a level of experience on national radio surely. Radio 1 isn’t a student radio station, it’s not an audition station. If R1 wants to be seen as the best, then get the best… RMC a great example. Vick Hope another great example. Both national radio experience way before R1. 
That’s just my thoughts on the experience level of talent on the station at the moment. 

22 minutes ago, Sarah Johnson said:

Alex is leaving Kiss next month so would be a great move over…start of as cover and ease in to a show end of the year.

I disagree with you though. There needs to be a level of experience on national radio surely. Radio 1 isn’t a student radio station, it’s not an audition station. If R1 wants to be seen as the best, then get the best… RMC a great example. Vick Hope another great example. Both national radio experience way before R1. 
That’s just my thoughts on the experience level of talent on the station at the moment. 

Radio 1 isn’t a student station but I think it would be more innovative if it was more of a launchpad of careers of broadcasters. Rickie, Melvin & Charlie as much as they’ve been ok in very tiny small doses shouldn’t have been poached. If the experienced argument it’s hard to get any new presenters to go on national if radio 1 for it’s programming got too dependable on poaching national broadcasters the station would show it’s behind the trend and not in front of it. It’s hard enough as it is when got BBC local cuts and most presenters on BBC local being over 40 and not many new positions and the risk not Reprezent London’s forward thinking underground new music community station on the brink of going under. Radio 1 needs to be that space that takes more of a punt and rolls the dice.

It’s not about being the best when you think your best is your competition. Think it could be different for radio presenter like Alex given that he wasn’t presenting a high profile show on his network and it is unfortunate that Kiss are letting some of it’s finest presenters go. I do think that it has to be put into question that the station needs to look for younger talent.

or reassert and evaluate how it markets itself. Remember before Radio 1 did have a weekly Monday night student radio hour over twelve weeks possibly 2016/2017 and think those different slots are lacking.

I think it needs to be a mix of both which it seems to do quite well - obviously it has signed some big names in recent years but also some presenters have come from student radio (Sam and Danni come to mind). 

One thing I don’t think they need is TV names such as Jamie Laing, I think there’s enough big and small radio names that they can use without people like him (although I would have said the same about Mollie King and look how that has turned out)

Just now, abertom said:

Ricky especially and maybe Melvin I think may be more 5 live than 1xtra

Don’t know think recently ditching Elis James & John Robins from the station’s live output to produce their programme as a podcast first show to focus on news and sports stories in their old slot with Colin Murray’s new time slots on Friday and Sunday. I wouldn’t be surprised if once Patrick Kielty leaves they will make his slot to reflect news and sport and feels like primary focus with 5 Live. I could be wrong but I think if not 1 xtra or radio 2 commercial.

If this is true, it's a big turnaround and I didn't see that one coming, but I wonder how many days or weeks it'll be before we find out if this is true or not.

If Matt and Mollie go to weekdays, it surely has to be James Cusack that takes on that show. He's the only one who's covered it and matched up to the quality and notably by himself. Excellent in a duo and as a solo.

I've said it before, incredibly likeable, high quality, funny and original. I'm actually very pleased to see them putting him back on the 1-4 weekend shows again, hopefully it's a well deserved full time show if Matt and mollie are promoted.

10 minutes ago, ianwilk1999 said:

If this is true, it's a big turnaround and I didn't see that one coming, but I wonder how many days or weeks it'll be before we find out if this is true or not.

If Matt and Mollie go to weekdays, it surely has to be James Cusack that takes on that show. He's the only one who's covered it and matched up to the quality and notably by himself. Excellent in a duo and as a solo.

I've said it before, incredibly likeable, high quality, funny and original. I'm actually very pleased to see them putting him back on the 1-4 weekend shows again, hopefully it's a well deserved full time show if Matt and mollie are promoted.

The reports in the press suspect announcement in coming days with the announcement and implies with a swap between Dean and Vicky who could take weekend afternoons.

6 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

The reports in the press suspect announcement in coming days with the announcement and implies with a swap between Dean and Vicky who could take weekend afternoons.

You could move that show to any time slot and it still wouldn't work. It's simply not a vibe. I'd say what about 2am, but then I wouldn't want that for the people including me who have to do shift pattern overs

If true then I am happy.  Radio 1 are in a place where new talent hasn't come up as much through the ranks yet.  Remember Jordan worked his way up for years.  So having Matt and Mollie will keep things stable until that talent comes through. 

I think there might be a three way swap.  M&M to weekday, S&D take over M&M old slot and D&V take over weekend breakfast. 

The other thing could be dean get's early breakfast.  I hope D&V don't get mornings. But would they want the Live Lounge to be outside of London? 

46 minutes ago, riksweeney said:

I'm not even going to sugarcoat it. Good riddance to Dean and Vicky, their show is easily the worst of the weekday shows by a long way. The only surprise is that it took this long for the bosses to realise.

As I said on another thread - I feel sorry for them.  The events are more a reflection on management than the two presenters and this sort of thing can damage a presenters career very badly.

1 hour ago, riksweeney said:

I'm not even going to sugarcoat it. Good riddance to Dean and Vicky, their show is easily the worst of the weekday shows by a long way. The only surprise is that it took this long for the bosses to realise.

Which is why I'm a little surprised they've paired her with Nat in a "permanent" spot as that is an even worse dynamic.  On the other hand I'm sure there are people who are actually fans of that vibe.  

Dean and Vicky's example serves as a reminder that duos should have some sort of connection and not just be thrown together randomly. When you look at other successful Radio 1 duos, you see that either it happened naturally over time (Scott and Chris, Matt and Molle) or they're really good mates (Sam and Danni, RMC). The only recent exception I would say is Vick and Jordan, who were thrown together randomly but managed to make it work.

Btw, I believe Dean and Vicky would be perfectly fine for commercial radio, where the links are more scripted. However, on the BBC, you must have a real connection to make it work.