Unofficial Mills

Matt and Mollie to replace Dean and Vicky

Ash101

49 minutes ago, Rob86 said:

Really great news I think. After Jordan’s exit weekdays really need strengthening. And it is weird that the weekend afternoon programme is clearly stronger than the weekday afternoon programme (IMO). Dean and Vicky IMO hasn’t worked and they really now need to ensure they keep all their strongest presenters - including Matt and Mollie. 

BUT weekdays could sound very London/southern - Greg, RMC, M&M, then Jamie Laing too. Unless they might be thinking of moving RMC and replacing with Katie? I like RMC though. 

Fascinated to know if there may be other changes coming…

I think Arielle replaces rmc and Nat and Ore doing early

Vick and Jamie will break up within a year and Sam and Danni will move in

59 minutes ago, J_B said:

I wonder if this also shows that they’re not as hellbent on drawing in younger listeners with new, younger presenters as they used to be, and are focusing on retaining the listeners they already have over the coming years. Is this sign of a change in approach to come?

I think that the schedule does need a wider age diversity like how I sense there is at other networks like Kiss and Capital I think with Rickie and Melvin in their forties and presenters mostly in late to mid thirties do think there needs a blend of a twenty something that is more gen z or zillenial at daytime whether thats weekend or weekday.

1 minute ago, anothernerd said:

Id be down for Matt and mollie on daytimes - them and Greg are what’s keeping me listening these days.

I think Mollie presenting future pop could at least playlist wise if allowed her a feature of having a future pop track of the day or have a percentage of potentially even 20% of the playlist that would fit Future Pop in weekday show as a compromise of committing to appealing to a ‘youthful audience’

Arielle won't commit to doing a weekend show as her dj commitments. She would realistically do live lounge as she does presenting like Clara and charisma of Annie mac. Would love her on drive. Think people would enjoy that.

Think Ricky and Melvin will leave to host on 1xtra leaving Charlie on dance anthems and Friday cover.

They clearly like Ore and James so want them in full time at some point. Maybe Nat and Ore on early with James and Vicky on weekends. Not sure where that leaves Dean though maybe Chart to begin with or a weekend breakfast if Sam and danni get drive.

1 minute ago, wbroom12 said:

Arielle won't commit to doing a weekend show as her dj commitments. She would realistically do live lounge as she does presenting like Clara and charisma of Annie mac. Would love her on drive. Think people would enjoy that.

Think Ricky and Melvin will leave to host on 1xtra leaving Charlie on dance anthems and Friday cover.

They clearly like Ore and James so want them in full time at some point. Maybe Nat and Ore on early with James and Vicky on weekends. Not sure where that leaves Dean though maybe Chart to begin with or a weekend breakfast if Sam and danni get drive.

I mean that would be different as Radio 1 Xtra on their entertainment shows haven’t got a massive name that they poached from another station Kaylee Golding and Swarzy are poached from Kiss am sure but haven’t become massive personalities or not as by the time they came to 1X. I’m sure they are talented broadcasters but getting Rickie and Melvin to do it would be something that could help the station in listener figures. 

Although if Global did want to relaunch Galaxy or a blend of ‘Heart Dance’ and ‘Capital Xtra Reloaded they would be good for a station like that. 

This is very interesting if true! After the recent talk here about weekends being stronger than weekdays (which I completely agree with), maybe things are shifting for the better.

I'll be the first to admit that back when Scott and Chris were still on R1, I didn't rate Matt & Mollie all that much. I didn't really give them a chance, but given all of the changes and the (sometimes poor) quality of the offering in recent years on weekdays, I am a massive convert.  I love their show when I get to listen on weekends, so a move to weekdays is welcome news to me.

I can't help but feel for Dean in all of this, as I feel he has done himself proud with his breakfast cover this year so far, and proved that he is better than the gig/set-up he was given maybe... I hope there is still a place and opportunity for him.

6 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I mean that would be different as Radio 1 Xtra on their entertainment shows haven’t got a massive name that they poached from another station Kaylee Golding and Swarzy are poached from Kiss am sure but haven’t become massive personalities or not as by the time they came to 1X. I’m sure they are talented broadcasters but getting Rickie and Melvin to do it would be something that could help the station in listener figures. 

Although if Global did want to relaunch Galaxy or a blend of ‘Heart Dance’ and ‘Capital Xtra Reloaded they would be good for a station like that. 

Also Ricky and Melvin start up the 1xtra takeover from dance anthems would be huge. They have experience hosting breakfast on kiss. 

5 minutes ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

This is very interesting if true! After the recent talk here about weekends being stronger than weekdays (which I completely agree with), maybe things are shifting for the better.

I'll be the first to admit that back when Scott and Chris were still on R1, I didn't rate Matt & Mollie all that much. I didn't really give them a chance, but given all of the changes and the (sometimes poor) quality of the offering in recent years on weekdays, I am a massive convert.  I love their show when I get to listen on weekends, so a move to weekdays is welcome news to me.

I can't help but feel for Dean in all of this, as I feel he has done himself proud with his breakfast cover this year so far, and proved that he is better than the gig/set-up he was given maybe... I hope there is still a place and opportunity for him.

I think it may have taken them time to get in the groove but think for an early random pairing they did a good job of making it work. I always enjoyed hearing Matt Edmonson covering Scott Mills with Chris Stark and liked his solo weekend morning show which had a lot of original ideas from Edmonson making for good content.

21 minutes ago, wbroom12 said:

With the Radio 2 sister station that came recently I do think there is a gap in the market that they could’ve explored that Radio 1 Xtra doesn’t serve if the Radio 2 Extra was more like 1 Xtra but for the elder bracket of black British audiences that isn’t best served by the station in playing more of the heritage genres and the early sounds of black British culture from ska, roots reggae, socca, bashment, soul, funk, jazz, blues, dancehall early golden age hip hop and R&B and classic garage and jungle.

This would makes sense in correlation with Mollie's cycling challenge too. I heard the announcement this morning and thought it almost odd, because it's usually a weekday presenter doing the charity challenge - so maybe this change has been in the pipeline for longer than expected (I suppose around the time that the bosses found out Jordan intended to leave)

7 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

With the Radio 2 sister station that came recently I do think there is a gap in the market that they could’ve explored that Radio 1 Xtra doesn’t serve if the Radio 2 Extra was more like 1 Xtra but for the elder bracket of black British audiences that isn’t best served by the station in playing more of the heritage genres and the early sounds of black British culture from ska, roots reggae, socca, bashment, soul, funk, jazz, blues, dancehall early golden age hip hop and R&B and classic garage and jungle.

Lots of good presenters available.

Spoony, Trevor, Angela, rickie, Melvin, romesh

Bbc needs to take it sister stations more seriously. 1dance is all repeats. Need to look at how global runs the capital stations with regular hosts

If the news is true then fair to say none of us would've had how Radio 1 has gone so far in 2024 on our bingo cards.

Surprise after surprise. First Jordan's departure then Radio 1's choice of replacement and now Matt & Mollie moving onto daytime when I think we all thought the chance had been and gone.

39 minutes ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

Another outsider still think they could recruit Emil Frenchie

I do wonder if he's primarily on Absolute though these days - been quite a while since I last heard him on Radio 1 and it seems now that if they need somebody to cover in Manchester then Nat O'Leary or James Cusack these days are first port of call.

Wow 😮 I didn’t see that coming! Radio 1 love a curve ball, don’t they?! I think they will be great, they’ve got good chemistry and listeners like them. I remember Matt from the days where he told people not to text in and ask for a  shoutout 😂😂. Matt’s an acquired taste but he’s definitely mellowed. They will be good and split Dean and Vicky up 

Just now, wbroom12 said:

Lots of good presenters available.

Spoony, Trevor, Angela, rickie, Melvin, romesh

Bbc needs to take it sister stations more seriously. 1dance is all repeats. Need to look at how global runs the capital stations with regular hosts

Agreed, Capital Dance works really well with a proper drivetime show with features, competitions and interviews live I think Radio 1 Dance could work if played less of the generic dance playlist of hit and and classics with dance anthems and the repetitive playlist I think if they went to do more underground dance music for it’s dance station. As think people would choose Matti Chaibi, MistaJam and Charlie Powell over Charlie Hedges’s dance anthems repeats or any the workout and generic playlist programme.

I think there is obvious tweaks to be made to the proposed new stations but if say for Radio 2 Extra with names like Trevor Nelson, Aleighcia Scott, DJ Spoony, David Rodigan, Craig Charles and Rickie, Melvin & Charlie, Don Letts, Seani B and Eddie Kadi think would be able to have a more secure pool of presenters than Paul Gamboccini, Bob Harris, Tony Blackburn and Johnnie Walker who are the most likely picks for programming for the intended plan of Radio 2 Extra. 

Think it would make it more possible of retaining the more veteran talent at 1 Xtra than avoiding any further departures like Ace who has gone to Kiss.

2 minutes ago, Darren m said:

Dean and Vicky must be quite upset though esp as scott and Chris had the show for 10:years 

Unless there is more to it I don’t know whether the official BBC presser has been published but might be the tabloids jumping the gun and getting the scoop in early and leaking before BBC have any chance of keeping it embargoed and as a big surprise announcement. I think Dean McCullough maybe more comfortable than Vicky in terms of cover choices as he is the only one out of the pair to have done breakfast cover and has done it solo. Interesting of what will be said behind the scenes to keep the two presenters happy with the changes.

I seem to recall some on here not huge fans of the Matt & Mollie pairing during the Weekend Breakfast days and certainly the Dev & Alice pairing seemed the slightly more popular of the pairings created in 2018.

But the move to afternoons seemed to signal a real turnaround and it's a cracking show - has that 'Scott and Chris' type feel to it and has often had me in tears of laughter. Fajitagate in particular remains one of my favourite Radio 1 moments on any show

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ2DL9AJRpd/

37 minutes ago, coffeeandgin said:

I seem to recall some on here not huge fans of the Matt & Mollie pairing during the Weekend Breakfast days and certainly the Dev & Alice pairing seemed the slightly more popular of the pairings created in 2018.

But the move to afternoons seemed to signal a real turnaround and it's a cracking show - has that 'Scott and Chris' type feel to it and has often had me in tears of laughter. Fajitagate in particular remains one of my favourite Radio 1 moments on any show

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ2DL9AJRpd/

Fajitagate was one of the things that made me pay attention, their shows have such comedy gold and a tasteful amount of innuendo thrown in, I find them so funny. They are definitely up there at Scott & Chris territory I think.

Given the announcement of Jamie joining Vick, stating how popular he was with the younger listeners, I can’t help but wonder what the announcement for Matt & Mollie is going to be?

I’m ‘too old’ for R1, so it has me wondering whether they are either finally realising the value of experienced presenters, or clutching at straws because the ship is sinking?