Unofficial Mills

Jordan North to leave Radio 1

Jono

11 minutes ago, shippp said:

Yeah it does feel that a radio station that exists as a youth outlet is having trouble finding a purpose and identity when most young people don't and will not want to listen to radio 

I think that the future of the station is still good even if it is only a third of what it is now the station has about 7.3 million listeners at the last RAJAR and has been a increasing focus on growing the on-demand stations. Even if it lost a two thirds of its listeners you still on par as being higher than Radio X, BBC Radio 6 Music and Capital Xtra and much higher than any of the stations exclusively targeting the ageing population of elder radio listeners. 

I think that if worked on accepting itself not as chasing the commercial entities which inevitably will never attract the younger demographic of listeners and tried experimentation and see it as a public service youth community station it might have a sustainable future.

8 minutes ago, JamTriv said:

Oh damm. It looks like they have already updated the schedule! So we won't even get a goodbye show from Jordan? Thats..... a bit rubish. Not a good look for the BBC.

On the press release said his last show will be in March but if he wont be on the drive programme it would feel like they absolutely fudged it up and will leave for many disappointed listeners.

He is not on drive next week been taken off schedule

I reckon they have done a Ken on him, so he sits home being paid for the rest of the contract

It is probably their way, contractual, if he is off air he cant do any damage

13 minutes ago, JamTriv said:

Oh damm. It looks like they have already updated the schedule! So we won't even get a goodbye show from Jordan? Thats..... a bit rubish. Not a good look for the BBC.

Given how bad they usually are at updating the schedule, it's telling how quick they have been here to remove any mention of him near instantly. Add in the lack of a quote from Jordan on the press release and it sounds an acrimonious departure.

Just now, Jono said:

I fear the Ken Bruce stuff seems to have had an impact on how they deal with defections.

With Ken Bruce we heard something straight away and it seemed that his departure of Radio 2 was announced simultaneously that he would be taking his show over to Greatest Hits Radio since there is no announcement by Global or Bauer of him joining Capital or another breakfast show makes this rash change to the schedule feel more baffling. With Ken he was on campaign mode straight away for Greatest Hits but still had two more weeks at Radio 2 or something like that and could say goodbye to Radio 2 and the BBC on-air. But if this contridicts the press announcement. Why?

6 minutes ago, coffeeandgin said:

Given how bad they usually are at updating the schedule, it's telling how quick they have been here to remove any mention of him near instantly. Add in the lack of a quote from Jordan on the press release and it sounds an acrimonious departure.

the fact that from Monday (19/02) the show has been renamed to Going Home on Radio 1 instead of Going Home with Vick and Jordan I feel like says a lot. potentially about the nature of the split and that the Vick & Jamie pairing is planned to be that long 

2 minutes ago, shippp said:

the fact that from Monday (19/02) the show has been renamed to Going Home on Radio 1 instead of Going Home with Vick and Jordan I feel like says a lot. potentially about the nature of the split and that the Vick & Jamie pairing is planned to be that long 

I checked just after the announcement and it still had Jordan, so they’ve definitely changed it. I wonder if with Judge Jordan ending earlier in the week if Jordan’s closer circle knew something was happening before the bosses did.

It’s interesting though, given the engagement on the insta post and on here it’s evident the shockwaves this announcement has had on the community, and shows just how big of a blow this is to Radio 1. Maybe that explains the tone of the leaving message from the BBC.

So who will be presenting Going Home next week?

I wonder if Roman Kemp will announce he’s leaving Capital Breakfast on Monday and at the same time announce Jordan as the new host?

Really looks like Jordan’s presented his final Radio 1 show 🤯