Unofficial Mills

2024 predictions

Darren m

Dean and vicky splitting up. Katie moves up the schedule be that a show with Vicky or by herself on weekdays. Vick leaves either Life Hacks or Radio 1 in full. New weekend show for James Cusack and dance show for Connor Coates.  I agree Greg will stay another year

The great thing about Radio 1 changes is that your usually can't predict exactly when things are going to happen. I agree with @bbcaaron about Annie - she will never leave for as long as she can actually do the show. As for Greg - you really couldn't tell... When a presenter is on top of their game their exit is going to be for their own reasons (as it was with Scott) so you can't predict but Greg hits 6 years on Breakfast this year which makes him the second longest ever presenter of R1 Breakfast and I can really see him wanting to do other things with his life

On 1/7/2024 at 8:02 AM, abertom said:

Dean & Vicky to be uncoupled, Matt & Annie Nightingale to be the biggest risks for a departure. 

Greg unless there’s a change in personal life I think will be ok for another year.

Dont think so think it may just be Greg’s year to go. Think Annie Nightingale would want to stay at Radio 1 right until death or severe illness that makes her too ill too do radio she doesnt seem the retiring type I’d think she’d done so before.

On 1/7/2024 at 2:01 PM, ianwilk1999 said:

Dean and vicky splitting up. Katie moves up the schedule be that a show with Vicky or by herself on weekdays. Vick leaves either Life Hacks or Radio 1 in full. New weekend show for James Cusack and dance show for Connor Coates.  I agree Greg will stay another year

I think Mollie would go at the same time as Matt Edmondson have someone to do weekend afternoons solo and Maia Beth take on the Future Pop show. I’m still wondering when Arielle launches her Thursday dance show whether the time of Future Pop will change.

I wonder if Dan P Carter and Benji B will leave radio 1 this year.

I am convinced this is the year Greg leaves the Breakfast Show. Feel like it maybe announced after he officially hits 6 years and then we have Jordan&Katie take over. Greg is on fine form so why not go out when on top. With other changes maybe he would take on a Saturday slot so he does not leave the station alltogether?

Not sure about Matt&Mollie i really enjoy them both but feel Matt could be getting ready to move on.

Lots said about D&V being split i dont see it happening i think Aled may really like them together and has invested a lot of time into this project.

Vick Hope is destined for bigger things away from Radio 1 shame really as i really do like her.

Greg is on top form and I doubt the station would want to change him with all the weekday changes. But yes he could equally say I'm going out at the top and leave while it is in good shape, rather than letting the show go downhill and then leave. Jordan and Katie are obvious replacements.

The Matt and Mollie show clearly isn't getting moved up to weekdays so unfortunately it is a matter of time. I also feel like Matt could be ready to call it and move on. He could easily slot in at Radio 2 now. If Mollie was to stay with that show I think the obvious replacement is James cusack to pair up with her or if Mollie decided to only stick with future pop then James has been brilliant in that slot when he's covered for them and is Radio 1 ready. Of the couple of other presenters that have covered it they haven't matched up to his standard.

Did d&v launch in September, if so and they split this September that will have been 2 years that show has been on air and so wouldn't be classed as a failure. I think Dean covering breakfast made it clear that afternoon show doesn't work.

I also agree, Vick Hope is destined for bigger things away from Radio 1 (A maya jama vibe but much better presenter) with perhaps more tv and would probably leave if Jordan ever moved to breakfast. One move by Greg could be the undoing of both breakfast and drive this year

I agree on Greg. As much as i still enjoy listening, 6 years is a good run on the Radio 1 breakfast show and I think Jordan's ready to take it on. Leave it another year and I think they'd actually bypass him like they did with Scott. Katie will move up to weekdays full time, either with Jordan on breakfast, or on drivetime (with or without Vick). Nat 'Leary gaining Friday and Saturday will more than likely happen.

I think RMC and Matt & Mollie are safe where they are for now. It's a shame that M&M never made it to weekdays, but they're one of the stronger shows on the network, unless one of them decides they want to move on, I see no need to move them on (yet).

It is a very good run and yes if Jordan doesn't get it soon they could very well bypass him. I think Katie will move up to weekdays full time too.

I don't think they would give Nat OLeary katie's Friday and Saturday shows, only because they are content shows and she isn't good at them. Nat leans heavily on 00s and 10s and the music backs her up, she's fell flat when left with only the Radio 1 playlist. I think people like RMC and M&M make it look easy, but as we've heard from other presenters when they get a chance it isn't.

It's a huge shame that M&M didn't make it to weekdays and didn't pick up the 1-3:30. It's unfortunately a case of if there isn't any development for the show will they see it as a time to freshen it up, or leave as is for stability. Remember it's nearly a year and a half since they didn't get afternoons. Matt looks and sounds very Radio 2 now. I'm 50/50.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:23 AM, BBCAaron said:

Dont think so think it may just be Greg’s year to go. Think Annie Nightingale would want to stay at Radio 1 right until death or severe illness that makes her too ill too do radio she doesnt seem the retiring type I’d think she’d done so before.

Well that's one prediction that came true ?

I’m confident we’ll have a new Breakfast show host (very likely Jordan + ?) come September. And just seen that Greg is presenting ‘Saturday Live’ on Radio 4 every Saturday morning for the next 6 weeks. Think that’s the biggest sign I’ve seen so far that he’s thinking about what’s next. 

I know it’s not radio one but I can see Roman leaving capital breakfast and someone else joining Sian and chris stark 

rumoured last year and subtle changing to the branding of the breakfast show to 

“capital breakfast with Roman Chris and Sian” opposed to the previous “with Roman kemp” make it sound like they are pushing the continuity of Chris and Sian . Global never like big schedule shakeups

3 hours ago, Rob86 said:

I’m confident we’ll have a new Breakfast show host (very likely Jordan + ?) come September. And just seen that Greg is presenting ‘Saturday Live’ on Radio 4 every Saturday morning for the next 6 weeks. Think that’s the biggest sign I’ve seen so far that he’s thinking about what’s next. 

The fact Greg is doing other radio work away from Radio 1 is reminiscent of Scott doing Radio 2 shows and we know how that went... 

Right around Christmas, Greg was making comments about doing stuff again next year. The Gregg Wallace tree call, getting Harry Styles up a Cherry Picker, Jona Lewie Time. 

Obviously it’s not solely up to him, but it would not surprise me if he has at least another full year in him on Breakfast. There’s been so much change across Radio 1 under Aled —compared to what we had previously — I don’t think a consistent 12 months for the daytime line up is a bad thing 

1 hour ago, anothernerd said:

Matt will leave - probs head to the land of commercial, virgin radio or heart maybe?

Lauren Layfeild gets a weekend show by the end of the year.

Yeah I could see Matt at commercial or Radio 2, he could quite easily fit in at both. I also think 2024 will be the year he calls it. He's a great broadcaster and it's just a shame he didn't go to weekday afternoons with mollie which they deserved.

If Lauren Layfield was to get a weekend show, I think it would only be Life Hacks with Katie after Vick moves on from it.

I believe it's been said here before, her Capital shows were very that was x and this is x. I don't think she's a good solo presenter and I'm afraid I can't get on board, feels quite inward facing and also feels a bit "London" and isn't that era of Radio 1 done?! No northern vibes come across. Even a few of my 'know nothing about radio colleagues', said oh no I don't rate her when friday early breakfast was on.

I'm bang in the middle of target audience and doing a 40 minute segment on your random thoughts in the morning was so old hat that I rolled my eyes. Getting a cow to moo on air that didn't actually work was cringe and Katie did this weeks ago. There's much stronger new talent for a full time show, but Life Hacks with Katie if vick left maybe...

I still think Matt and Mollie sound good - I hope they stick around for longer. 

I think Arielle will stop doing Early Breakfast this year but stay with Radio 1 (she’s got her new Thursday night dance show).

Perhaps James Cusack for Early Breakfast? 

And I wonder if Vick and Katie might do a job share on Breakfast co-hosting with Jordan? Half the week each? Outside bet but don’t think either would want it full time. 

Yeah I hope they stick around. I really rate M&M.

I think it's been noted before Vick has said on air she doesn't want to do breakfast again. Jordan and Katie were brilliant together so that is my guess, then James Cusack gets Katie's weekend show. Or outside bet if Matt did leave for elsewhere, they go for Mollie and James somewhere on the schedule, as I don't think that run out they did was for nothing.

I don’t think Greg will leave breakfast this year and think he’ll leave in 2025 (summer).

If he was to depart, wouldn’t be shocked to see Jordan take over breakfast with Mollie King maybe. Katie would be first choice although either her or Jordan would have to relocate as they’d have to decide whether to do the show in London or Manchester. 

I think that Matt will depart this year, he’s been hanging on for a good while now, and his solo shows and ones with Jamie (Laing) indicate that Mollie is the one probably making that show stronger… 

I do think that, if Greg was to leave in 2025, Vick would go with him, and then there’d be new presenters on drive entirely. If Katie isn’t on breakfast then probably her, if she is, then Sam & Danni probably (and rightfully so) have the next daytime slot in the bag. 

when it was announced that Arielle was taking a Thursday dance slot she said on Instagram that she’d be staying on early breakfast. That being said, I suspect that someone like Lauren Layfield will take over Thursday and Friday EB. 

I see James getting a weekend slot based on either Katie getting promoted or Matt leaving, but he probably won’t do EB given that he’s never hosted it before. If anyone was to get EB permanently I’d say it’ll probably be Ore Olukoga. 

From likely to unlikely:

-James Cusack to get a full-time show. Surely only a matter of time and he's been on cover increasingly frequently recently.

-Maia Beth takes Future Pop full-time. She's pretty frequent cover on there already and it's an easy way to get another new DJ onto the station.

-Vick to leave Life Hacks. She's stopped travelling up to Manchester on a regular basis for it plus was away over the summer and not sure how much longer she'll want to give up her Sundays.  Katie & Lauren Layfield too feels a very obvious duo to have on Life Hacks.

-Dean & Vicky split up. It's been 18 months and that show just hasn't stuck and frankly both sound better either solo or alongside other DJs. Think Vicky might be the one to lose out if so - she's weekend cover way more frequently than you'd expect a weekday DJ to be (Charlie and Vick's Saturday and Sunday shows being permenant roles).

-One of Matt Edmondson or Vick Hope to leave Radio 1. Would happily have both remain but does feel as good as he is as if Matt might be on borrowed time on Radio 1. Plus Vick has so much else going on outside Radio 1 and if she's not doing Breakfast there's nowhere to go on Radio 1 post Going Home that wouldn't be a demotion.

-Jordan to get Breakfast. Wouldn't be shocked if Greg called it a day for a new Breakfast show come September. 6 years would be a great innings and could see him either taking another show on Radio 1 or leaving Radio 1 entirely - between Tailenders, his books with Chris Smith, shows on Radio 4 etc he has plenty to keep him busy.

If so Jordan in a male-female duo is the obvious choice - suspect it would be Katie but don't rule out Mollie King.

-If above did happen then don't rule out Dean getting Drive in some form. Aled really seems to rate Dean for some reason - he very quickly rose up the ranks and him doing the New Years week cover on Breakfast seemed like it might have something more to it - especially given Jordan & Katie were on Going Home that week so seemingly available that week.

I agree with all of these above and could see them all happening, even the ones as far as unlikely. I think it's more likely to be Katie than Mollie on breakfast but you're totally right in that Greg does have a lot of other things going on including some other radio.

The most obvious one at the top, it's a no brainer to give James a full time show on the station. It feels well overdue and Radio 1 is somewhat missing a presenter like him. There hasn't been a strong Northern solo male come along since Jordan all them years back.

The amount of love for Greg on this forum about Scott mills is just odd. They are literal opposites of each other. Greg has the lowest listenership of any breakfast host on R1. Clearly, outside of this forum he isn’t as loved as all of you think. 

If Matt is too old for R1 then so is Greg as they’re the same age and Jordan isn’t that far off both of them. I do think many of you would love the website to change to ‘unofficial Greg’ but if you’re true Scott mills fans then you know Matt and Mollies show is very similar to his. 

Jordan will most likely get breakfast but with Mollie. I can’t see Katie moving down to London especially considering her husband works in Manchester. Or they split studios but that will inevitably have tech issues. Mollie makes the most sense as she has the gravitas and Katie can sub in for her. 

Drive will go to RMC and Vick Hope will do Live Lounge. Dean and Vicky will be split and Dean will most likely go to Matt and Mollies slot unless James takes that. Vicky might do life hacks by herself. Maia will take over future Pop. 

The question is where Matt fits in, does he get paired with Jamie on the 13:00 show or continues the weekend slot but with Jamie? 

What a bizarre take. I think Greg and Scott are pretty similar in style because they both have listener based shows?

The average listener numbers have fallen overall, I don’t think that’s enough to attribute to one presenter. They’ll go down even further with whoever is next because that’s just how youth radio RAJARs are going…