Unofficial Mills

Best daytime show of 2023

onlyME

Best daytime show of 2023 on Radio 1?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Best daytime show of 2023 on Radio 1?

• Radio 1 Breakfast
    • Rickie Melvin and Charlie
    • Dean and Vicky
    • Going Home with Vick and Jordan
    • Early breakfast
    • Sam and Danni on Weekend Breakfast
    • Katie Thistleton
    • Nat O'Leary / 00s / 10s
    • Matt and Mollie
    • Dance Anthems
    • Life Hacks
    • Official chart show

Oooh good topic!

I’ve voted for ‘Going Home’ and ‘Matt and Mollie.’ I think both of those shows sound very fresh, always absolutely full of content and both duos bounce off each other very well (and I’ll include Katie in Going Home too since she’s a big part of it). 

I think Greg is still sounding great, but maybe coming towards the end of his time on breakfast, same with Arielle on early breakfast too - is a very good presenter but how long will she really want to keep doing early starts for. 

I’d say RMC is the most improved show of the year, having listened more in the last few weeks, it now has some new features, it seems like they get more time to talk in the links and altogether it just feels a bit less rushed and more what I would have expected their show to be like from the beginning. 

Dean and Vicky I very rarely listen to now - I don’t think they’re an awful pairing but they don’t gel together particularly well and I think it’s quite telling when I prefer Vicky with any other co-host and Dean presenting on his own. I also think the production and features on the show feels quite cheap, especially coming after Scott Mills.

I think weekends are pretty solid though, at the moment I wouldn’t change any of the presenters there. Katie (and Matt and Mollie) deserve promotions at some point, when and where they will come from, I’m not sure.

6 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

Oooh good topic!

I’ve voted for ‘Going Home’ and ‘Matt and Mollie.’ I think both of those shows sound very fresh, always absolutely full of content and both duos bounce off each other very well (and I’ll include Katie in Going Home too since she’s a big part of it). 

I think Greg is still sounding great, but maybe coming towards the end of his time on breakfast, same with Arielle on early breakfast too - is a very good presenter but how long will she really want to keep doing early starts for. 

I’d say RMC is the most improved show of the year, having listened more in the last few weeks, it now has some new features, it seems like they get more time to talk in the links and altogether it just feels a bit less rushed and more what I would have expected their show to be like from the beginning. 

Dean and Vicky I very rarely listen to now - I don’t think they’re an awful pairing but they don’t gel together particularly well and I think it’s quite telling when I prefer Vicky with any other co-host and Dean presenting on his own. I also think the production and features on the show feels quite cheap, especially coming after Scott Mills.

I think weekends are pretty solid though, at the moment I wouldn’t change any of the presenters there. Katie (and Matt and Mollie) deserve promotions at some point, when and where they will come from, I’m not sure.

It’s disappointing to see the slump of the quality of the lunchtime to school rush afternoon programme. I’d thought their ideas and features would’ve developed and had one staple leading feature that could draw in audiences and become must listen and had some guests on programme. I don’t think some wise choices have been made of late 

10 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

It’s disappointing to see the slump of the quality of the lunchtime to school rush afternoon programme. I’d thought their ideas and features would’ve developed and had one staple leading feature that could draw in audiences and become must listen and had some guests on programme. I don’t think some wise choices have been made of late 

Do you know - that's a really valid point.

I never listen closely to Dean and Vicky but I get the impression that little or nothing has really stuck.

Compare to Vick and Jordan where many features have stuck over two years.

The two standouts for me at the moment are Matt & Mollie and Going Home with Vick & Jordan (& Katie). Shows packed with content with presenters who clearly get well and work superbly as duos and who get the tone spot on.

I think Mollie plays a big part actually in M&M being as strong as it is - the show is noticably weaker in my view when Jamie Laing has been on instead of her. And Mollie has actually been really strong when paired with Jordan & James Cusack at points this year.

Katie too is great and whether solo or alongside Vick or Jordan has such a likable presenting style that shines throughout. Surely a big daytime slot awaits soon if she wants it?

The Breakfast shows is still strong and Greg one of Radio 1's best but I am starting to tire of the Breakfast show just a tad.  Maybe it's just a case of becoming too familiar with the show after so long - there's only so many times you can listen to 'Yesterday's Quiz' or 'Rehearsing for the worst thing' without it becoming a tad samey . 'Ten to Ten' too does risk quickly going from fun to giving 'Going Home Song' PTSD flashbacks. Whereas I feel Greg comes into his own on those fun events and games R1 do every so often.

3 hours ago, coffeeandgin said:

I think Mollie plays a big part actually in M&M being as strong as it is - the show is noticably weaker in my view when Jamie Laing has been on instead of her. And Mollie has actually been really strong when paired with Jordan & James Cusack at points this year.

Agree with all the above and I totally agree with this. Mollie is brilliant and I said this at the time, when she did those weekend shows with James Cusack they were very good for first shows and probably made management think there's something here we could develop full time.

I've said this before in a post earlier this year:

"James is definitely the Jordan of a few years back. A nice surprise to hear him out of the blue on Friday, we were on call and my work mates who have zero interest in radio said he's really good.

The thing he did with Dean on the phone was very Scott-esque and if its true that he thought of it that morning after getting the call up, thats a very creative presenter. The whole show was an entertaining listen and to say it was last minute, you have to wonder how good he'd end up being with a regular show.

I know others have said this in chat and other topics, I'd be very surprised if they didn't give him his own show next year, it's long overdue."

Like others have said, I think there will be a second announcement and they would be mad not to put him on FT now with how much he's come along.

There are 3 shows I always try and catch up on: Radio 1 Breakfast with Greg James, Going Home with Vick & Jordan and Matt & Mollie.

They cannot be beaten in terms of content vs quality vs time listened. All 3 of those shows make me feel like I am missing out if I'm not across what has happened in any given week.

Greg is still sounding as fresh as ever and is the best communicator on the station by far.
Vick & Jordan are a very relevant listen and always seem to push the boundary a little bit.
Matt & Mollie are packed with good features and quality content.

Honourable mentions for Katie Thistleton (both on her weekend show and when she joins the Going Home throuple), and Sam & Danni who are really finding their feet this year having done a great run on Summer EB & now Weekend Breakfast.

Interesting comments above about Rickie, Melvin & Charlie - I loved their evening show, but gave up catching up on any of the current show about 18 months ago because it was just too music heavy and not worth the skimming time. May try and dip back in.

On 12/11/2023 at 6:42 PM, Dan18F1 said:

Oooh good topic!

Sadly, I think Matt & Mollie's time for promotion has come and gone which is a shame. Listening to them over the weekend made me think it's a shame they're stuck on weekends. They even seem to be increasingly moving away from using them (at least together) as breakfast cover.

Greg is my only must-listen show at the moment. Vick and Jordan always seem to be having a good laugh when I do tune in, but timing-wise I don't usually at that time of day. I do listen to their podcast, and if the show was given a daily podcast I would definitely be listening to that.

Same with Matt & Mollie and Sam & Dani really, I enjoy their shows when I do get to listen, they bounce off eachother well and have good features, but I wouldn't make it a priority to listen back.

Sadly the magic of 1pm when Scott and Chris used to be on is no more... they made such good things happen in that slot and it's a shame nothing has seemed to have grown from Dean and Vicky's show. That said, I have been meaning to listen back to their panto from this week to see if it's any good...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 7:21 PM, coffeeandgin said:

The two standouts for me at the moment are Matt & Mollie and Going Home with Vick & Jordan (& Katie). Shows packed with content with presenters who clearly get well and work superbly as duos and who get the tone spot on.

Katie too is great and whether solo or alongside Vick or Jordan has such a likable presenting style that shines throughout. Surely a big daytime slot awaits soon if she wants it?

The Breakfast shows is still strong and Greg one of Radio 1's best but I am starting to tire of the Breakfast show just a tad.  Maybe it's just a case of becoming too familiar with the show after so long - there's only so many times you can listen to 'Yesterday's Quiz' or 'Rehearsing for the worst thing' without it becoming a tad samey . 'Ten to Ten' too does risk quickly going from fun to giving 'Going Home Song' PTSD flashbacks. Whereas I feel Greg comes into his own on those fun events and games R1 do every so often.

Could not disagree more!! Matt is 100% better with Jamie Laing in my opinion!