Jump to content

If Greg left the breakfast show tomorrow, who would take over?


R1Fan1
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, 1_tw said:

Since then you’ve had Abbie McCarthy come through from local radio who clearly didn’t make the cut 100% & also trialed others from local radio in some of the Christmas slots. Ditto Jess Iszatt more recently, along with Gemma Bradley & Sian. Alongside this they have previously bought presenters across from 1xtra to do cover work & across to the station. So it’s hardly a closed door thing is it.

From September in the weekdays excluding the main presenters (Greg, Scott & Grimmy) you’ve got Arielle whose only been with the station 2~years, RM&C who have only been there about 2~years, Clara whose been there 6 years, Jack whose been there 3? Years & Sian who was new to the station this year.

There’s clearly space for this new talent in the form of Sian, Gemma, Jess, Jeremiah & Jaguar, who I’m sure will be given every opportunity to work their way up, it’s a good balance of new people and the talented presenters who bring people in and retain listeners ala Greg, Scott, Grimmy, Jordan & Matt. Listeners like to know who they are going to listen to when they tune in, they don’t want a revolving door as you put it of talent coming in and out as you put it, they want someone they can relate to.

It fully justifies its funding as it is, with it they are giving them more funding to create focussed streams like Dance & Relax. The podcasts & the streams are the true one where they can find out how listener numbers do, if something doesn’t cut it and doesn’t deserve it’s funding it’s gone. 
 

But the youth requirements are clearly understood.. they are big players on YouTube and TikTok which are where some people go for their entertainment. But what is also recognised is that the station caters for other listeners than “youth” it caters to a wide range of people, if it was just youth how would they justify an early breakfast show when the majority of that age bracket are still asleep? 

As said there’s an issue with the station trying to focus in on the listen statistics. Think the station long term with come under stone scrutiny for spending on stuff that doesn’t over all provide a unique or distinct listener experience to commercial counterparts with R1 Dance sounding like commercial counterparts Jack Saunders and Rickie Melvin Charlie were liekely scouted than goring through an application recess the thing is Abbie McCarthy or few others never become fully fledged presenters feel Sian Eleri was good choice to move over to have bit of Geogrpahical diversity a welsh presenter who provides something fresh and new agree Gemma does that for Northern Ireland as does Jaguar but thing with and what realising is that Jeremiah has show on station for short bit but with some of the R1Xtra move just scouting and part of the internal partnership of the two stations. 
 

I do feel as much Ed talent is love some of the commercialised features and decisions to patch stars and spend on inconsistent projects that doesn’t add value or provide a distinct bespoke programming R1 Dance or Relaxed doesn’t provide that in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


At the risk of disappearing down this same rabbit hole as last time... There is - quite simply - no 'problem' to fix, and even more than that, improvements are being made all the time. The station has recently won a bunch of awards, there is more new talent than that has been for years, the presenter roster is diverse and inclusive.... Of course yes you could put MORE new talent on, or MORE diversity (e.g. Asian voices), but that's missing the point. The goal of equality should be to ensure everyone gets a fair go, and is not discriminated against. Clearly that has been happening at the station for a good while, and there is no need to 'force-fit' any further such changes - we can just let that happen naturally now as talent evolves and grows.

It's also critical to keep a good focus on listener numbers, just as they are doing. It's idealistic to say that that doesn't matter and the station should push the boundaries further in daytime - quite simply without the strong figures, the station would be doomed. If anyone thinks the station sounds similar to commercial rivals in daytime, they really need to reconsider that view!!!

R1 Dance / Relax are low-cost add-ons that will attract a few more people to the station, and they do offer a commercial-free option that is pretty unique. All in all Aled is doing a fantastic job, the station has rarely sounded better and has never had such a forward-looking presenter strategy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

At the risk of disappearing down this same rabbit hole as last time... There is - quite simply - no 'problem' to fix, and even more than that, improvements are being made all the time. The station has recently won a bunch of awards, there is more new talent than that has been for years, the presenter roster is diverse and inclusive.... Of course yes you could put MORE new talent on, or MORE diversity (e.g. Asian voices), but that's missing the point. The goal of equality should be to ensure everyone gets a fair go, and is not discriminated against. Clearly that has been happening at the station for a good while, and there is no need to 'force-fit' any further such changes - we can just let that happen naturally now as talent evolves and grows.

It's also critical to keep a good focus on listener numbers, just as they are doing. It's idealistic to say that that doesn't matter and the station should push the boundaries further in daytime - quite simply without the strong figures, the station would be doomed. If anyone thinks the station sounds similar to commercial rivals in daytime, they really need to reconsider that view!!!

R1 Dance / Relax are low-cost add-ons that will attract a few more people to the station, and they do offer a commercial-free option that is pretty unique. All in all Aled is doing a fantastic job, the station has rarely sounded better and has never had such a forward-looking presenter strategy!

I do find equally focusing too much on listener number making the sound not distinct to commercial outlets providing something that sounds similar to commercial outlets with no advertisements as the distinction factor of the streams will prove an issue for the station of trying to overly competenaHd unfairly so with private competitors.

Feel the station as much accolades it’s gets there maybe time if BBC repeatedly produces more of the same the political factors of its funding may become something that trumps the audience reach and industrial acclaim of its productions.

Did I ever say I’d force fit people in the name of diversity, No? I said that if the presenting team of Radio 1 doesn’t sound like Young Britain there maybe an issue and that some in the industry and on the station still have and race unconscious biases and find certain peoples in hiring are more favoured than others.

The station seems to be focused on passive and non essential programming feel that it needs clarity of how they don’t fail to gain support for a growing number of people who don’t like how the bbc at large is funded and is deciding to invest. Feel it’s too much Keep calm and carry on.

Itz obvious that there’s a level of a broadcaster out of touch with its youth audience by returning BBC Three to a live terrestrial format. Feel that Aled isn’t moving things forward where stations like Kiss Fresh maybe come a leader in new homegrown music focusing on new artists and talent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

 

Itz obvious that there’s a level of a broadcaster out of touch with its youth audience by returning BBC Three to a live terrestrial format. Feel that Aled isn’t moving things forward where stations like Kiss Fresh maybe come a leader in new homegrown music focusing on new artists and talent. 

With all due respect Aled is definitely moving things forward. Presenters who don’t have slots like Rakeem, Dean, Sam & Danni and Jess have been doing lot of slots. Equally, this Friday early breakfast and Christmas thing have given a roster of new presenters who at least some of will be heavily on the station in 5-10 years. He’s also, in the last year, shown the door to Maya, Alice, MistaJam, Dev, Annie and Diplo. Yes, some of these left of their own accord, but the ones who didn’t, like Annie, chose to leave before they were pushed. If that’s not moving things forward, I simply don’t know what is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some good points here but there is a problem Radio 1 has faced since the 90s and that’s getting the line right between being a different sounding youth station (thought I’d argue it is as much about music as “youth”)  and being popular.

Loose too many listeners and it’s a problem, chase listeners at the expense of sounding different and it’s a problem.

Right now I think they have it about right.  

Grimmy needs to go simply as his show sounds the most dated on the station and Scott is clearly preparing to move to Radio 2 when the time is right for him. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

Some good points here but there is a problem Radio 1 has faced since the 90s and that’s getting the line right between being a different sounding youth station (thought I’d argue it is as much about music as “youth”)  and being popular.

Loose too many listeners and it’s a problem, chase listeners at the expense of sounding different and it’s a problem.

Right now I think they have it about right.  

Grimmy needs to go simply as his show sounds the most dated on the station and Scott is clearly preparing to move to Radio 2 when the time is right for him. 

 

I just feel that sometimes having radical shock to the system allows to shake up then re find that middle compromise think right now BBC at a whole needs that shake up then find a settling point. I just think it shouldn’t be afraid to play the long game here and now. As without shake ups it’s having presenters and shows past their prime. With the 90s last time had radical rethink think it needs something that finds itself again racial 30 years on should be every generation radical moment then find it’s feet and settling point. Find listeners figures are consistently high and sometimes them it’s a good time to play risk as then the popular of today becomes the unpopular tommorow. Feel that Radio 1 does tap more the elder millennial when Radio 2 also offers for millennial. Feel like it’s going to have issue of winning over the Genrarion Z and younger and that’s what needs to be priority now for the station.  
 

Otherwise it’s case that other stations or outlets may seem to provide public service broadcasting. There’s the trend od wanting the BBC defunded by the boomer generation feel if it loose trust with the young per audiences will see young people wanting money going into it or feeling that the BBC is an essential service. Think it’s case that will it be a service that it is popular with a passive audience the broadcaster has to find that more engaged audience who really believes that BBCR1 represents young people and young being 13-25 or stretch to 30 that there may not need as many BBC Music radio stations  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

Some good points here but there is a problem Radio 1 has faced since the 90s and that’s getting the line right between being a different sounding youth station (thought I’d argue it is as much about music as “youth”)  and being popular.

Loose too many listeners and it’s a problem, chase listeners at the expense of sounding different and it’s a problem.

Right now I think they have it about right.  

Grimmy needs to go simply as his show sounds the most dated on the station and Scott is clearly preparing to move to Radio 2 when the time is right for him. 

 

Think with Capital Dance, Kiss Fresh, LBC News, Talk Sport, Greatest Hits Radio, Virgin Radio & Times Radio all getting really good at doing something that the BBC stations doing with star talent offer something that a listener would turn to fit the mood or switch the dial. Do you keep doing the same while the commercial sector invests in building the quality of their output and investing into making it something that listeners intend to tune in engage and grow connections with a non bbc station.
 

Does BBC say more of the same or does it do something different? I’d choose the latter 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

I just feel that sometimes having radical shock to the system allows to shake up then re find that middle compromise think right now BBC at a whole needs that shake up then find a settling point. I just think it shouldn’t be afraid to play the long game here and now. As without shake ups it’s having presenters and shows past their prime. With the 90s last time had radical rethink think it needs something that finds itself again racial 30 years on should be every generation radical moment then find it’s feet and settling point. Find listeners figures are consistently high and sometimes them it’s a good time to play risk as then the popular of today becomes the unpopular tommorow. Feel that Radio 1 does tap more the elder millennial when Radio 2 also offers for millennial. Feel like it’s going to have issue of winning over the Genrarion Z and younger and that’s what needs to be priority now for the station.  
 

Otherwise it’s case that other stations or outlets may seem to provide public service broadcasting. There’s the trend od wanting the BBC defunded by the boomer generation feel if it loose trust with the young per audiences will see young people wanting money going into it or feeling that the BBC is an essential service. Think it’s case that will it be a service that it is popular with a passive audience the broadcaster has to find that more engaged audience who really believes that BBCR1 represents young people and young being 13-25 or stretch to 30 that there may not need as many BBC Music radio stations  

Simply... Just no. In the 90s, the station was stuck in the past, with presenters who appealed to an ageing audience. It has widely been debated whether that radical shake-up was done well, or could have been just as successful if done in a much less abrasive way, and certainly some of the execution at the time was clumsy with some presenters brought in who lasted only a short while (since they simply didn't work at all). But this is entirely missing the point... There is NO need for a radical shake-up right now. The presenters and shows are not 'past their prime', apart from perhaps Grimmy who will most likely move on in the next year. The absolute WORST thing Aled could do right now is a radical shake-up. Listeners would desert in their droves, the reputation of the station would sink and all the hard work done in recent years would be thrown away. We're never going to agree on this, but for someone who claims to have the best interests of the youth market in mind, you seem out of touch with the reality of youth-focused broadcasting. Please don't try to use BBC3 as an analogy - indeed the BBC leadership have handled that badly, but it has nothing to do with the quality job that the team are doing at R1.

As for the 'sound' of the station - it doesn't need to sound specifically like 'young Britain' in order to appeal to it, as long as the voices are diverse and inclusive, which they clearly are. There's simply no evidence of unconscious bias in recent signings at the station, and fortunately it has avoided the horrors of any 'box ticking' appointments. Simply put, many of the UK's top broadcasting talent  work there, and the fact that some major stars clearly choose to continue to present at R1 despite offers of significantly higher wages at commercial rivals says all you need to know about the credibility and reputation it has.

The evolution of R1 at present is something the BBC are, and should be, immensely proud of. Aled is doing a fantastic job, and nothing needs to change.

 

So now to get back on topic.... my answer is still Matt & Mollie!! Though hopefully Greg will be around for a good while yet :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bluestraw said:

Simply... Just no. In the 90s, the station was stuck in the past, with presenters who appealed to an ageing audience. It has widely been debated whether that radical shake-up was done well, or could have been just as successful if done in a much less abrasive way, and certainly some of the execution at the time was clumsy with some presenters brought in who lasted only a short while (since they simply didn't work at all). But this is entirely missing the point... There is NO need for a radical shake-up right now. The presenters and shows are not 'past their prime', apart from perhaps Grimmy who will most likely move on in the next year. The absolute WORST thing Aled could do right now is a radical shake-up. Listeners would desert in their droves, the reputation of the station would sink and all the hard work done in recent years would be thrown away. We're never going to agree on this, but for someone who claims to have the best interests of the youth market in mind, you seem out of touch with the reality of youth-focused broadcasting. Please don't try to use BBC3 as an analogy - indeed the BBC leadership have handled that badly, but it has nothing to do with the quality job that the team are doing at R1.

As for the 'sound' of the station - it doesn't need to sound specifically like 'young Britain' in order to appeal to it, as long as the voices are diverse and inclusive, which they clearly are. There's simply no evidence of unconscious bias in recent signings at the station, and fortunately it has avoided the horrors of any 'box ticking' appointments. Simply put, many of the UK's top broadcasting talent  work there, and the fact that some major stars clearly choose to continue to present at R1 despite offers of significantly higher wages at commercial rivals says all you need to know about the credibility and reputation it has.

The evolution of R1 at present is something the BBC are, and should be, immensely proud of. Aled is doing a fantastic job, and nothing needs to change.

 

So now to get back on topic.... my answer is still Matt & Mollie!! Though hopefully Greg will be around for a good while yet :)

I think I’d very much have to say and conclude this as needing to agree to disagree, again never said anything about ‘box ticking’ maybe just have a Think bout points made. Stand by comments but feel all am able to say after making points clear agree to disagree. Think sometimes on this forum there’s a sense of being content with the status quo and not up to taking on the nuances needed in such discussions. Happily put the full stop on the conversation.

feel radical shift is needed so that there isn’t a station that’s too old to be young 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a bit late to the party... but some very interesting points on both sides, i can certainly see valid points about change etc.

However, i certainly think that Radio 1 are already in a good place... and that Aled has actually made brilliant progress in the short time he has been in the job. Radio in general has already had an issue in attracting younger listeners, i do not think the radical changes suggested would achieve that. You'd just put off your existing audience. They've always done well to place themselves where their audience are, especially on social media. They jumped straight onto Facebook and Twitter as they grew big, just like they've since done with Snapchat, Instagram and now TikTok, which is a vital way of engaging with their target audience.. and being present as a 'youth brand'.

In terms of the linear radio side of things. Again, i cannot see what they cam do more 'radical' without scaring off a lot of listeners. The listener reaction often proves they're doing something right. Especially with their focus on mental health, one of the most important issues relating to the audience. Also, there has always been older listeners to Radio 1, a lot of them you'll never shake off... that's fine too. It was either Greg himself or Ben Cooper who said somewhere that if you strike a fine balance of not alienating the parents... their children will listen in too, who often stick with the station themselves as they get older. That's one of the reasons why putting Greg on breakfast was a good decision. 

In terms of sounding like their commercial rivals... i'd say R1 strike the balance well between serving their remit and appealing to a wider audience (which is what they've always done... listener figures will always play apart in justifying it's existance being funded by the licence payer). It's not just about the listeners and the DJ's.. i'd say they're doing a greater job than ever supporting the music industry and emerging talent... breaking them through as artists. There's more songs than ever breaking through to daytime... music you would not hear on similar CHR stations. Their specialist content is next to none... especially Jack Saunders show. As a CHR station, you'll always get the big hits you hear elsewhere.. R1 do well getting the right balance of hits and giving newer artists daytime exposure (although with it going more music heavy in recent years.. so has the repetition of tracks coming around again in a shorter space of time, although that's a minor gripe and still nowhere near as bad as most Global stations.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In terms of DJ's. You'll just have the opposite impact if you suddenly turn over the daytime schedule, just like that... because of the nature of the station, the listeners listen often for the personalities themselves. Just because presenters have been there a long time, doesn't mean they should be moved on. Scott & Greg's recent awards.. plus regular listener feedback on air and online proves they're doing something right. I'm sure Aled and his team will have a good idea if they're connecting with their target audience. The problem R1 had in the past was the overall station sounded out of touch. That's certainly not the case nowadays, in all aspects (music, the chat and features etc.) Changes will always be gradual. I'd say the last year has seen more radical change than the past 10 years preceding it. For me personally, it's changing too much with my favourite presenters leaving, plus the messier show times (that's more a personal thing of not liking change)... but i accept that changes will happen and the station sounds fresh. 

I personally don't really understand the point about talent not coming through quick enough. There's never been more chance for talent to come through. The Christmas and bank holiday slots, Friday Early Breakfast. From that... it appears Dean McCollough could become a regular daytime cover presenter (in the same way Jordan was), Rakeem Omar has popped up again after his early breakfast stint finished last week. Now there's an example of giving cover opportunity to a local radio voice (he appears on my local BBC Station, BBC WM during the week... in fact he's been on both WM & R1 last week). Sam & Dani seem to be given the cover gig for Sundays 4-7 (Life Hacks/Chart First Look). I'm sure within 5 years some of the names above will be part of the stations future. Jess Iszatt is another one from BBC Local (although she's on one one of Bauer's Magic Fm spin off stations too) who is becoming a regular voice on the main stations specialist shows, as well as R1 Relax. Going forward i assume she'll be the regular cover for Sian,and Jack.

 

There isn't a part of the schedule that hasn't changed in the past few years. The only person who i think has naturally come to the end of his career at R1 (or at least on weekday daytime) is Grimmy. I actually think he gets more stick than he deserves off the general public. He is actually good at what he does and he did well to take Breakfast in a different direction to Moyles, but he's done the top dream job, he's coming up to 3 years on drive... i suppose he's a big name but i think September should've been the time Jordan was moved to drive.. it would've made perfect sense. Grimmy is still a big draw for the station, so even if they moved him to Fri-Sunday 10:30-1, that's still a big slot which i think his show would suit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NathanS said:

In terms of DJ's. You'll just have the opposite impact if you suddenly turn over the daytime schedule, just like that... because of the nature of the station, the listeners listen often for the personalities themselves. Just because presenters have been there a long time, doesn't mean they should be moved on. Scott & Greg's recent awards.. plus regular listener feedback on air and online proves they're doing something right. I'm sure Aled and his team will have a good idea if they're connecting with their target audience. The problem R1 had in the past was the overall station sounded out of touch. That's certainly not the case nowadays, in all aspects (music, the chat and features etc.) Changes will always be gradual. I'd say the last year has seen more radical change than the past 10 years preceding it. For me personally, it's changing too much with my favourite presenters leaving, plus the messier show times (that's more a personal thing of not liking change)... but i accept that changes will happen and the station sounds fresh. 

I personally don't really understand the point about talent not coming through quick enough. There's never been more chance for talent to come through. The Christmas and bank holiday slots, Friday Early Breakfast. From that... it appears Dean McCollough could become a regular daytime cover presenter (in the same way Jordan was), Rakeem Omar has popped up again after his early breakfast stint finished last week. Now there's an example of giving cover opportunity to a local radio voice (he appears on my local BBC Station, BBC WM during the week... in fact he's been on both WM & R1 last week). Sam & Dani seem to be given the cover gig for Sundays 4-7 (Life Hacks/Chart First Look). I'm sure within 5 years some of the names above will be part of the stations future. Jess Iszatt is another one from BBC Local (although she's on one one of Bauer's Magic Fm spin off stations too) who is becoming a regular voice on the main stations specialist shows, as well as R1 Relax. Going forward i assume she'll be the regular cover for Sian,and Jack.

 

There isn't a part of the schedule that hasn't changed in the past few years. The only person who i think has naturally come to the end of his career at R1 (or at least on weekday daytime) is Grimmy. I actually think he gets more stick than he deserves off the general public. He is actually good at what he does and he did well to take Breakfast in a different direction to Moyles, but he's done the top dream job, he's coming up to 3 years on drive... i suppose he's a big name but i think September should've been the time Jordan was moved to drive.. it would've made perfect sense. Grimmy is still a big draw for the station, so even if they moved him to Fri-Sunday 10:30-1, that's still a big slot which i think his show would suit. 

I think would sped things up and will agree to disagree that do find BBC is in general out of touch still at what it needs to do to get a youth audience. Find sometimes speeding things out and switching things up is important to avoid listener fatigue of having same features same playlist with not a large rotation of content that’s one thing I’m implying. As said agree to disagree. Feel even shows have changed as you said but there’s matter of when things change it’s not distinct with the previous show that inhabited that slot Mills,James,Grimshaw,Roberts, and few other changes hasn’t largely made an impact.

Do feel that Jordan is still very predictable choice for Drive and Grimshaw on weekends means yet of same content and over all no change in output. I’m unsure with content of Radio 1 Relax on Sounds already why they invested in an online stream of on demand shows and simulcast content.

Sometimes presenters change but pretty much same shows and content. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

I think would sped things up and will agree to disagree that do find BBC is in general out of touch still at what it needs to do to get a youth audience. Find sometimes speeding things out and switching things up is important to avoid listener fatigue of having same features same playlist with not a large rotation of content that’s one thing I’m implying. As said agree to disagree. Feel even shows have changed as you said but there’s matter of when things change it’s not distinct with the previous show that inhabited that slot Mills,James,Grimshaw,Roberts, and few other changes hasn’t largely made an impact.

Do feel that Jordan is still very predictable choice for Drive and Grimshaw on weekends means yet of same content and over all no change in output. I’m unsure with content of Radio 1 Relax on Sounds already why they invested in an online stream of on demand shows and simulcast content.

Sometimes presenters change but pretty much same shows and content. 

But Greg James’ breakfast show is a stark contrast to that of the previous Nick Grimshaw breakfast. It’s based upon the people, the listeners.. it’s listener centred which is a far cry from the celebrity centred breakfast show that Grimmy did.

Arielle’s early breakfast is again different with Radio 1 dance, different features and feeling generally more energetic than Adele’s.

Weekend breakfast with Adele, to be honest is the only one which is disappointing, it’s been a carry over and a slight tweak of her early breakfast days. But then again with the listener numbers at that time of morning on a weekend is it really necessary, not forgetting that Friday isn’t included anymore.

Scott obviously hasn’t changed for ages, but that formula works, it’s well liked, they eventually change the features around, yes, some are tired at the moment but also been very restricted by what can be done in a pandemic, the same goes for all shows actually.

Radio 1 relax has thus far seemingly been well received, not forgetting that half of the content which is destined to be on there - Sian’s chillest show hasn’t begun presenting yet. The numbers will speak with the streaming as that’s one thing that can be fully tracked. But for very little money it’s a good addition.

Like it’s been said many times above we’re all going to have to disagree as things are at the best they ever have been and the vision you see clearly isn’t going to happen anytime soon. The radio station is on a high with the changes that are taking place and the streaming on a whole is being well received.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1_tw said:

But Greg James’ breakfast show is a stark contrast to that of the previous Nick Grimshaw breakfast. It’s based upon the people, the listeners.. it’s listener centred which is a far cry from the celebrity centred breakfast show that Grimmy did.

Arielle’s early breakfast is again different with Radio 1 dance, different features and feeling generally more energetic than Adele’s.

Weekend breakfast with Adele, to be honest is the only one which is disappointing, it’s been a carry over and a slight tweak of her early breakfast days. But then again with the listener numbers at that time of morning on a weekend is it really necessary, not forgetting that Friday isn’t included anymore.

Scott obviously hasn’t changed for ages, but that formula works, it’s well liked, they eventually change the features around, yes, some are tired at the moment but also been very restricted by what can be done in a pandemic, the same goes for all shows actually.

Radio 1 relax has thus far seemingly been well received, not forgetting that half of the content which is destined to be on there - Sian’s chillest show hasn’t begun presenting yet. The numbers will speak with the streaming as that’s one thing that can be fully tracked. But for very little money it’s a good addition.

Like it’s been said many times above we’re all going to have to disagree as things are at the best they ever have been and the vision you see clearly isn’t going to happen anytime soon. The radio station is on a high with the changes that are taking place and the streaming on a whole is being well received.

Meant Greg’s breakfast is mere extension to what it was in his drive show just super sized on features just as said ageee to disagree on this. Just question whether content is starkly different and there’s not much data to show popularity 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

Meant Greg’s breakfast is mere extension to what it was in his drive show just super sized on features just as said ageee to disagree on this. Just question whether content is starkly different and there’s not much data to show popularity 

He has the show for as long as he wants it according to bosses. That must mean he’s popular or he’d be moved out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I’d put my twopence worth in, as I realise I haven’t posted on here too much since Greg took over breakfast.

Greg’s incarnation of the Radio 1 Breakfast Show is by far my favourite in my time listening to the station (since the last few years of Moyles’ tenure on breakfast), as I much prefer the comedic, listener centric format to the more “showbiz”,  celebrity focused  formats used elsewhere on other youth-targeted breakfast shows (naming no names)

Radio 1 has to be different to commercial competitors, and I truly believe they currently have the most distinctive breakfast show in the market.

It is also one that is easily distilled into short social media snippets, which allow storylines (such as the recent “Tom the Young Farmer” saga) to play out to wider audiences away from linear radio, to hopefully hook new listeners into the show and keep them listening regularly. 

As others have said, the recent awards for Greg, Scott, and the station itself at the ARIAs prove that Radio 1 are getting it right, especially on weekday daytime.

I can definitely see Jordan getting drive when Grimmy moves on, but that doesn’t seem likely until at least 2022, given the refreshed schedule published in April that is due in September.

RMC getting mid-mornings does seem a smart move given Clara’s promotion to Future Sounds, as they always provide an entertaining listen. 

I hope Scott will continue on afternoons, as his show is still one of the best on the station, although I can see him doing more Radio 2 cover shifts alongside it. 

 
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, radio1fan said:

Thought I’d put my twopence worth in, as I realise I haven’t posted on here too much since Greg took over breakfast.

Greg’s incarnation of the Radio 1 Breakfast Show is by far my favourite in my time listening to the station (since the last few years of Moyles’ tenure on breakfast), as I much prefer the comedic, listener centric format to the more “showbiz”,  celebrity focused  formats used elsewhere on other youth-targeted breakfast shows (naming no names)

Radio 1 has to be different to commercial competitors, and I truly believe they currently have the most distinctive breakfast show in the market.

It is also one that is easily distilled into short social media snippets, which allow storylines (such as the recent “Tom the Young Farmer” saga) to play out to wider audiences away from linear radio, to hopefully hook new listeners into the show and keep them listening regularly. 

As others have said, the recent awards for Greg, Scott, and the station itself at the ARIAs prove that Radio 1 are getting it right, especially on weekday daytime.

I can definitely see Jordan getting drive when Grimmy moves on, but that doesn’t seem likely until at least 2022, given the refreshed schedule published in April that is due in September.

RMC getting mid-mornings does seem a smart move given Clara’s promotion to Future Sounds, as they always provide an entertaining listen. 

I hope Scott will continue on afternoons, as his show is still one of the best on the station, although I can see him doing more Radio 2 cover shifts alongside it. 

 
 

 

 

Completely agree here. Personally Radio 1 Breakfast is my fav it's ever been (was never a fan of Moyles but I was probs a little too young really) - Greg provides exactly what you need in the morning, a laugh, some stupid stuff that takes you away from what's actually happening in the crazy world and loads of decent (and a wide variety) of music. As others have said I think this is the best R1 has ever been. There isn't a time when I don't want to listen (whereas previously I would have only listened to selective shows). Even most of the cover is pretty good, like Radio 1 Breakfast with Matt & Mollie works really well when Greg isn't there, likewise with Vick & Katie covering for Scott & Chris.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BBCR1_James said:

Personally Radio 1 Breakfast is my fav it's ever been (was never a fan of Moyles but I was probs a little too young really)  .... As others have said I think this is the best R1 has ever been.  

Well, for the old farts amongst us, the early 90's was hard to beat, but yes, the station is certainly in good health at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, radio1fan said:

Appears they are using R1 Dance for the Scotland opt-out, with Danny on R1

I assume the format will be similar to Rock and Roll Football on Absolute, with match updates between the usual music 

 

2 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Well, for the old farts amongst us, the early 90's was hard to beat, but yes, the station is certainly in good health at the moment.

Said before would do things bit differently but overall Jack Saunders, Sian Eleri, Clara Amfo, Scott & Chris, Matt & Mollie, Vick & Katie and Arielle do sound good and strong 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The chat and forums on this site used to be fun to come along and read. Not so much anymore.

It’s just constant rant after rant, post after post and paragraph after paragraph from a certain contributor, who actually doesn’t seem to like R1 very much, bulldozing their opinions *sigh*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, LemmeRant said:

The chat and forums on this site used to be fun to come along and read. Not so much anymore.

It’s just constant rant after rant, post after post and paragraph after paragraph from a certain contributor, who actually doesn’t seem to like R1 very much, bulldozing their opinions *sigh*

Comes from someone who’s username is lemme rant. We should be open for different ideas constructive ideas. We don’t need to agree all the time. But things are open for discussion and that’s what I least like do feel we should respect open discussion about different ideas. As saw some stuff that the blog was sharing that think different for and that should be a good thing I’m young person 20 feel good team of presenters but like anyone else passionate about radio want to share my ideas. After all it’s the station for young people the station should be ours and to say what we want about it if it does come across like a rant I don’t mean to be harsh or overly critical feel fhat the station could do more things to appeal to young people i like the station but as always nothing is without its flaws. 
 

Said it at the start if you’re username is lememrant seems hypocritical to tell others not to rant if that’s how you see it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Graeme said:

What becomes dull is the same post over and over tho, it has to be said.

the forum isn’t a debate that needs to be ‘won’ - different ideas can coexist - all be right and valid - without slogging the same point o’er and o’er

I’d you directing it at myself by all means say so.  Others rehash points the thing is if topics come up again expressing view may see some points repeated with if topics come up again as part of discussion. Did I ever say it’s about it being won feel sometimes with some people almost thinking the same or not exactly embracing points. It’s not about slogging over or winning. But it’s being Frank and honest without trying to be disingenuous. I respect peoples right ro opinion on there. Just promoting a different oersowxtive that if it’s one person bringing that largely it seems like rinsing it because there aren’t as broad idea on here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BBCAaron said:

Comes from someone who’s username is lemme rant. We should be open for different ideas constructive ideas. We don’t need to agree all the time. But things are open for discussion and that’s what I least like do feel we should respect open discussion about different ideas. As saw some stuff that the blog was sharing that think different for and that should be a good thing I’m young person 20 feel good team of presenters but like anyone else passionate about radio want to share my ideas. After all it’s the station for young people the station should be ours and to say what we want about it if it does come across like a rant I don’t mean to be harsh or overly critical feel fhat the station could do more things to appeal to young people i like the station but as always nothing is without its flaws. 
 

Said it at the start if you’re username is lememrant seems hypocritical to tell others not to rant if that’s how you see it 

Don’t go worrying about my username. My history will show that I don’t constantly spam these forums, but instead save my ranting until someone needs to be told to stop going on and on. 

Please give the rest of us a break. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LemmeRant said:

Don’t go worrying about my username. My history will show that I don’t constantly spam these forums, but instead save my ranting until someone needs to be told to stop going on and on. 

Please give the rest of us a break. 

But it seems bit hypocrical that’s why pointed out. Not so much spamming if adding in point. I understand my thoughts are often different from the rest of the group and think being autistic sometimes say things more Frank or repetitive, or extensive if I’m interested in and it’s something that am interested in.

Atleadt thought we could be able to exchange things and give points without stating other persons ranting or spamming. Thought it’s a forum and one open to different views 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...