Unofficial Mills

If Greg left the breakfast show tomorrow, who would take over?

R1Fan1

I’m not suggesting this would happen nor would I want it to happen, but if it did happen then who would take over? 

I’d say that Matt and Mollie would be the most likely candidates, maybe Jordan. In years to come I think Jack or Vick & Katie could contest for that slot.

1 hour ago, abertom said:

If Greg left tomorrow I can see Scott and Chris doing it for a period say until September end of summer holidays until a new host is announced 

I'd say that's possible.

I wonder if you might see a pairing like Jordan and Arielle?  They have a great chemistry.

9 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

I'd say that's possible.

I wonder if you might see a pairing like Jordan and Arielle?  They have a great chemistry.

Do like the idea of a pairing as seems like they haven’t had duo for sometime and for a breakfast show it helps to have for entertainment person another person to converse with and could end spell of quality of breakfast as poison chalice. I do definatley feel it would be good next lead breakfast presenter being a femal presenter. Thou Jordan would fit 

17 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

I'd say that's possible.

One thing is change bout breakfast is turn it to a time where have a duo but a third member of the team that would do some on air outside broadcast link ups and some prerecorded interviews with celebs and stuff like someone could be used to do certain a features and could send out to do different things. Sometimes would be good if did round up of entertainment social media trends and chat bits about what’s going on.

2 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

Do like the idea of a pairing as seems like they haven’t had duo for sometime and for a breakfast show it helps to have for entertainment person another person to converse with and could end spell of quality of breakfast as poison chalice. I do definatley feel it would be good next lead breakfast presenter being a femal presenter. Thou Jordan would fit 

No reason why a Jordan and Arielle pairing wouldn’t be equals. Just as Dev and Alice were and Matt and Mollie 

4 hours ago, abertom said:

If Greg left tomorrow I can see Scott and Chris doing it for a period say until September end of summer holidays until a new host is announced 

I think that would fall to Matt & Mollie, personally... with them potentially becoming next hosts, talking hypothetically.

I do think Greg will have a few more years on breakfast, if he wants it of course.

1 hour ago, AndyK77 said:

No reason why a Jordan and Arielle pairing wouldn’t be equals. Just as Dev and Alice were and Matt and Mollie 

Ever so slightly feel that Matt Edmonson does naturally end up seeming the dominant one of the pairing being the one who’s been on station snd in radio longer had lead to the other one developing through pairing 

As others have said, Matt & Mollie seems by far the most likely if that were to happen. Jordan will be better served by going to Drive and building his career further there before being thrust into the breakfast spotlight, though it's certainly possible he'll get that show down the line. Not sure he needs pairing with someone like Arielle, he's a very strong solo performer, though I guess never say never...

32 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

As others have said, Matt & Mollie seems by far the most likely if that were to happen. Jordan will be better served by going to Drive and building his career further there before being thrust into the breakfast spotlight, though it's certainly possible he'll get that show down the line. Not sure he needs pairing with someone like Arielle, he's a very strong solo performer, though I guess never say never...

Agree with this. But we’ve had Moyles, Grimmy & Greg. That’s 20+ years of solo males (by the time I expect Greg will finish). I would be shocked if we didn’t see a female presenter, even if co-hosting alongside a another, on breakfast.

8 hours ago, Ash101 said:

Agree with this. But we’ve had Moyles, Grimmy & Greg. That’s 20+ years of solo males (by the time I expect Greg will finish). I would be shocked if we didn’t see a female presenter, even if co-hosting alongside a another, on breakfast.

I see your point, but... let's say that in 5 years time we had a schedule of Jordan for breakfast, Arielle mid-mornings, someone as-yet unknown in the afternoons, Vick & Katie for Drive and Clara in the evenings. Would it matter that the breakfast show was a male, given the amount of female talent throughout the day?

50 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

I see your point, but... let's say that in 5 years time we had a schedule of Jordan for breakfast, Arielle mid-mornings, someone as-yet unknown in the afternoons, Vick & Katie for Drive and Clara in the evenings. Would it matter that the breakfast show was a male, given the amount of female talent throughout the day?

I do feel there’s zero guarantees with that but it doesn’t set a great precedent that only male white presenters can only get to present flagship breakfast show may represent split in pay and promotion if isn’t done right

9 hours ago, Ash101 said:

Agreed do feel like there will be a time soon that they’d have to ensure that women at the station have equal chance of presenting drive and breakfast and to start to address equal pay

I think part of the problem is that for a long time there haven't been female presenters strong enough / of the right style to do Breakfast.    But I think that's changing, Vick and Katie, Mollie King, Arielle are all really strong music entertainment presenters so you never know.

It should all be on merit anyhow as otherwise that's just patronising to women - just as Greg was definitely the right choice.  I think as much as Grimmy's show sounds tired now, he was the right choice to replace Moyles to make a total break with that era.

I think aside from Jordan and maybe Jack Saunders in time, all the obvious next breakfast candidates are female actually.  

26 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

I think part of the problem is that for a long time there haven't been female presenters strong enough / of the right style to do Breakfast.    But I think that's changing, Vick and Katie, Mollie King, Arielle are all really strong music entertainment presenters so you never know.

It should all be on merit anyhow as otherwise that's just patronising to women - just as Greg was definitely the right choice.  I think as much as Grimmy's show sounds tired now, he was the right choice to replace Moyles to make a total break with that era.

I think aside from Jordan and maybe Jack Saunders in time, all the obvious next breakfast candidates are female actually.  

Think it’s recognising there are female talent in the industry who work hard and on merit don’t have still equal opporgtunies as male counterparts in the radio industry. It’s not patronising to readdress the gender imbalance in the industry 

51 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

Totally right. There were zero female candidates better placed for the role when either Grimmy or Greg took on Breakfast. Plus like you say, it should always be on merit. 

Yes it’s good to address gender balance but “for the sake of it” always risks undermining the talent you’re actually putting there.

It’s a shame Alice has left as she would have been my ideal female candidate for either breakfast or drive. 

1 hour ago, Ash101 said:

Totally right. There were zero female candidates better placed for the role when either Grimmy or Greg took on Breakfast. Plus like you say, it should always be on merit. 

Yes it’s good to address gender balance but “for the sake of it” always risks undermining the talent you’re actually putting there.

It’s a shame Alice has left as she would have been my ideal female candidate for either breakfast or drive. 

Seems rather lazy and complacent rake of addressing things on merit. How can with examining other presenters for the role do you know Greg or Grim were the best for the role. Is it merit if women and non white, non internal bbc, disabled people are never considered for the role it’s not merit if there’s institionak biases and can’t state why Greg James or Grimshaw were better placed candidate. The fact it’s well there were no candidates doesn’t sound right as it seems like it’s a closed door ad BBC should have open selections to ensure they aren’t discriminating against people who don’t work for the station

1 hour ago, Ash101 said:

Agree completely about Alice - should have been destined for bigger things.  

1 hour ago, Ash101 said:

It’s not for the sake of it it’s readdressing a problem that station has still got internal diversity and equality issues when recruiting talent do feel the Christmas cover applications for non bbc local, student and other stations has aided in helping readdress this but the station needs to super-speed its commitment to providing new talent that represents a diverse audience 

1 minute ago, BBCAaron said:

Seems rather lazy and complacent rake of addressing things on merit. How can with examining other presenters for the role do you know Greg or Grim were the best for the role. Is it merit if women and non white, non internal bbc, disabled people are never considered for the role it’s not merit if there’s institionak biases and can’t state why Greg James or Grimshaw were better placed candidate. The fact it’s well there were no candidates doesn’t sound right as it seems like it’s a closed door ad BBC should have open selections to ensure they aren’t discriminating against people who don’t work for the station

But you can’t compare filling a Breakfast presenter role with say the civil service filling a role.  There is a very very limited pool of people who are right for that job.

The BBC and most broadcasters have been fantastic in general at not seeing gender, sexuality, race etc.  I totally support diversity and tick a few minority boxes myself but I’d hate to get a role for any reason other than my ability.

Just now, AndyK77 said:

But you can’t compare filling a Breakfast presenter role with say the civil service filling a role.  There is a very very limited pool of people who are right for that job.

The BBC and most broadcasters have been fantastic in general at not seeing gender, sexuality, race etc.  I totally support diversity and tick a few minority boxes myself but I’d hate to get a role for any reason other than my ability.

It’s not about ticking boxes it’s about realising that there’s biases in hiring leaving people of minority groups with equal talent passed up opportunities to get a job where white, abled or male counterparts still have a better chance of getting in. It’s about recognising peoples of a minority find that they work their socks or too get the foot into the industry but get passed on and doors shut on them where some groups find it more accessible to get a job there. It’s thing that broadcasters need to make it more accessible to get a job. It’s not the same of course as getting a job in the civil service didn’t say that but it’s very exclusive and closed door but needs to be open to more presenters in the industry to find it easier to get more high profile jobs that’s what needs to be done.

5 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

Do you think some people get jobs or easier in the radio industries? Do you think there needs to be more equal chances to move up in the industry? Than relying on small pool of an exclusive selection. Thing is BBC are facing real challenges at the moment it won’t get better if it keeps hiring the same people.

14 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

Do you think some people get jobs or easier in the radio industries? Do you think there needs to be more equal chances to move up in the industry? Than relying on small pool of an exclusive selection. Thing is BBC are facing real challenges at the moment it won’t get better if it keeps hiring the same people.

But what would you do?  I think (as you mentioned) the radio 1 new talent scheme is a great way of building more diversity but that takes time.

I mean I think things are moving in the right direction surely?  when you look at the line-up compared to the U.K. population as a whole..

Clara is the first non-white presenter of the preserve of the evening new music show.

Rickie and Melvin (with Charlie) are taking on one of the biggest shows on the station.

I would be shocked if Jeremiah Asiamah isn’t a major star at Radio 1 in the next few years. 

Females have probably never been so well represented on the station too.

Arguably Asian groups are underrepresented but I suspect that’s partly down to Asian network. 

Regional accents are pretty well represented.

LGB interests are well represented.

How would you do it differently?

(I stress that’s a question and not an attack)

30 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

But what would you do?  I think (as you mentioned) the radio 1 new talent scheme is a great way of building more diversity but that takes time.

I mean I think things are moving in the right direction surely?  when you look at the line-up compared to the U.K. population as a whole..

Clara is the first non-white presenter of the preserve of the evening new music show.

Rickie and Melvin (with Charlie) are taking on one of the biggest shows on the station.

I would be shocked if Jeremiah Asiamah isn’t a major star at Radio 1 in the next few years. 

Arguably Asian groups are underrepresented but I suspect that’s partly down to Asian network. 

30 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

I feel like it’s case that when slots are often need to be filled there’s the thing that choices tend to be mad3 from a small but pre existing group of people already working within the bbc or have links and ties to the organisation feel like diversity needs to attract diversity that allows for presenters working in the industry a chance to be considered for shows on the station and to say let’s try to give more slots ro talent that yes from places from Asian Network but also who haven’t had been previously on a bite national show on one of the rivals or radio 1s rivals.

Feel we must be mindful that the BBC is in a place that has to justify its existence again and tho we speculate who would present on the station still years or decades time. We must realise the means of funding and content is under scrutiny. It’s case that it’s got to if it wants to exist still that it’s thing use to or lose it. Keeping diversity by the same talent of who has been on the stations for years may be difficult way to justify itself as it can’t just keep with ‘BBC’ voices