Unofficial Mills

Chappers gets full time gig on 5Live

Jono

BBC Radio 1's Mark Chapman has secured a regular spot on BBC Radio 5 Live as host of a new Monday evening show.

Starting on February 8, Chapman's new programme will include discussion about the latest sports news, along with football commentary and regular features.

Running from 7pm to 10.30pm, the weekly show will also carry topical football debate from The Monday Night Club and the 5 Live Football League segment with contributions from Mark Clemmit.

Chapman has been a regular voice on 5 Live in the past, including stand-in slots on football phone-ins 606 and 5 Live Sport. He joins 5 Live after ten years as a sports reporter on BBC Radio 1, coupled with various TV appearances on BBC One's Final Score.

"I'm excited and honoured to be joining the biggest sports radio station in the land and can't wait to get started," said Chapman.

Radio 5 Live Controller Adrian Van Klaveren added: "Mark's already well-known on 5 Live through the times he's presented 606 and 5 Live Sport. He'll be a great addition to the 5 Live sport lineup."

Earlier in the week, Chapman was also confirmed as presenter for the London and South East edition of the BBC's new Monday night Football League show Late Kick Off.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a196610/mark-chapman-grabs-regular-5-live-slot.html

Sounds like Chappers is going to busy on Monday nights then 5Live until 10:30pm and BBC1 an hour later. Are both live? A live TV show usually requires a few hours preparation before the show.

Chappers 5 Live show will be live as some Monday nights it will feature live EPL matches. His show on BBC 1 won't be live I don't think as the north west host of the show Tony Livesey show on 5 Live is on at the same time as Late Kick Off

Great news Mark. Wish you all the best. Life will be so much more dignified. No more dressing up as a frog for you...

Your last tweet made me laugh muchly incidentally.:

'Have just discovered that the best of fleetwood mac is really good to run to! Is it any wonder I am not on radio 1 anymore?!'

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

• 4 weeks later...
I can only assume it was in the pipeline for a while as he's replacing Arlo White.

This was not in the pipeline before he left Scott's show as Arlo White was not offered his new job in Seattle until after Christmas. Anyway been good to hear him this week good debut Monday night show. He was also on Tueday Night filling in for Mark Pougatch and is on tonight again filling in for Ellie Oldroyd

This was not in the pipeline before he left Scott's show as Arlo White was not offered his new job in Seattle until after Christmas. Anyway been good to hear him this week good debut Monday night show. He was also on Tueday Night filling in for Mark Pougatch and is on tonight again filling in for Ellie Oldroyd

He's got a good gig going on at Five Live. A regular slot, first choice fill in, on top of that fill in work on BBC TV and regular work on ESPN. His career is going from strength to strength at the moment, keep it up Chappers.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

• 2 months later...

A bit of an update of Chappers Five Live career. He seems to be impressing a lot of people recently. He will be one of two main anchors for the World Cup but perhaps mos impressively he will present Five Live's coverage of The Champions League Final, a huge gig and the first time Five Live's Champions League coverage won't be hosted by Mike Ingham in a long time. These two jobs confirm that Chappers isn't just the Monday night man any more he is one of their senior football presenters. Well done Chopper.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Big well done. As much as people may hate what I am going to say, his career has gone from strength to strength since leaving Radio 1. Good on him

Undoubtedly, I said for the last year or so of him being on Scott's show, he is far too good simply to be Scott Mills' sidekick and read Newsbeat Sport. His quich rise up the Five Live ranks has proved this. Comedy Dave also did a good job on Five Live the other night, suggesting to me he's a more than capable presenter.

ChrisHewgill.jpg