Unofficial Mills

Spend time with the Chris Moyles team

Jono

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in limbo with the show right now. I just can't motivate myself to bother to listen on the iPlayer. I used to listen as soon as it was uploaded and now I'm lucky if I even remember to try. I heard bits of last week - the banter, as always, was good. The "Who am I" game is ok but will outstay its welcome very quickly. And nothing is making me want to hear it.

I feel, sadly, that the show may have jumped the shark with me.

I'm in limbo with the show right now. I just can't motivate myself to bother to listen on the iPlayer. I used to listen as soon as it was uploaded and now I'm lucky if I even remember to try. I heard bits of last week - the banter, as always, was good. The "Who am I" game is ok but will outstay its welcome very quickly. And nothing is making me want to hear it.

I feel, sadly, that the show may have jumped the shark with me.

Now you see I think I can see where you're coming from - you're comparing it to classic Moyles. I haven't had much opportunity the last 12 months to listen to Moyles live and I've just had the opportunity to hear a lot recently. From my perspective I think it's great radio and still nothing like anything else you'd hear in the UK on the radio. So right now I'm a very happy customer but I think for a long term consistent listener there is probably elements that have been watered down and disappoint.

I think I'm probably UM's most intelligent person (fact people). So many brain cells, my mind may explode. In fact, it's scary!! :hahaha:

May I remind you two, I now have an award for posting (bronze award in the UM winners category for BLOGS). Next year, it will hopefully be GOLD.

Watch & learn, Juggy & Stig - watch + learn. :-) Want posting tips?? Ask me!!

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I think I'm probably UM's most intelligent person (fact people). So many brain cells, my mind may explode. In fact, it's scary!! :hahaha:

May I remind you two, I now have an award for posting (bronze award in the UM winners category for BLOGS). Next year, it will hopefully be GOLD.

Watch & learn, Juggy & Stig - watch + learn. :-) Want posting tips?? Ask me!!

Again, no, it's an internet forum. I'll refrain.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Want posting tips?? Ask me!!

How can anyone not take you up on this? You wouldn't believe how often I've wondered how to write shitty Heat-style thread titles for posts that are as interesting as watching a dog lick its own balls, or how to take innocent posts the wrong way and end up rambling incessantly like a neurotic spinster mentally unhinging as the words spew onto the page, or how to alienate as many people on a forum - especially if they work for Radio One - as humanly possible in such a short space of time.

We have so much to learn from your wisdom.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Right so prediction time. I think “Summer on Radio 1” which is on the schedule for Friday to Sunday 1-4 from June sticks around longer than the other changes in July. I think that lasts until September which is when we get the new weekend afternoon show. I think they’ll want to give Danny longer on air to see if they improve. I can’t see that happening, so my guess is in September they move Sam & Danni to weekend afternoons (at that point they’ll have been on weekend breakfast for a full year), and they bring James Cusack in to do weekend breakfast. 
    • If Aled decides to give Danny a full time role, even as part of a duo / trio, it'll be the most disappointing decision of his tenure. The fact Danny is still on air and hasn't been quietly moved on 'due to a change in plan' is bad enough!
    • I'd say Danny has been given a fair hearing - and hasn't been up to par. You don't want Radio 1 to be a closed shop - but not being able to usually get the Whatsapp number right should be a dealbreaker. Errors happen even to the best DJs at times but if you can't get the Whatsapp number right you really shouldn't have a regular role on the station. But if they really are that desperate to have Danny on the schedule full-time then pair him up with somebody who can actually handle the technical side. You think of all the capable DJs who are in duos and trios and then you have just have a rookie like Danny left solo.  The LGBTQ+ point too I have to say if true as a gay man feels a case of proper discrimination. It's good to have LGBTQ+ representation for sure but the key thing is that the DJ is good at the end of the day and say in 2021 there was loads of LGBTQ+ talent on Radio 1 in Scott, Grimmy and Adele Roberts among others but at the end of the day they were strong DJs entirely there on merit. And even now there's still LGBTQ+ talent on Radio 1 who are there primarily because they're bloody good broadcasters. Danny is not one of them.
    • There is a reason you don't know who is doing weekend afternoons yet. The plan is still to see how Danny Beard's trial goes on weekend mornings. Newspaper clippings have demonstrated Aled has been keen to push Danny Beard at the weekend and to give him a fair hearing. The plan looks to be to wait and see whether he improves in the next few weeks. The bosses still want more LBGTQ+ representation on the station.
    • I think they should just bring that back as was. It's been nearly 20 years, so do it with a whole bunch of new DJ's. 
    • I think this year has taught us we know nothing 🙂 Nobody would ever have credibly predicted Jordan leaving and all the changes that followed.   I have another interest outside radio and it is exactly the same - the stuff you never expect to happen is exactly what does.
    • Yeah they make the weekend shifts go so much quicker. Like today, the piece about Matt falling asleep in the cafe was funny, it's clear to see why they're going to weekdays. It could well be they were thinking of Danny for it and like you say have decided against that, or like I said at the start it's James Cusack and the slow down on the announcement is him getting out of his contract. Remember he works for radio 1's main rivals. I think it's quite telling that he's doing more r1 cover than usual, tomorrow and then a further 3 weekend shows in a row
    • Nat in for Dean with Vicky between the 28th-30th May.
    • I suspect they’re gonna tie the announcement into something, or they’ve changed plans. I know we’ve said it as a joke but I wonder if Aled was planning on giving it to someone like Danny Beard, but he’s decided against that after the last few weeks. Seems clear to me, though, that if Jordan hadn’t left, then Katie would’ve taken Dean and Vicky’s slot and Matt and Mollie would’ve stayed on weekends, which probably explains why they haven’t picked a replacement yet. If it was going to be the obvious choice, I.e. James Cusack, surely they would’ve announced it by now..?
    • Yep think they mentioned that this is their penultimate weekend of shows but then they will also be on air during Big Weekend and they mentioned they'll be doing 'Party Anthems' on stage during Big Weekend which sounds intriguing. Will miss Matt & Mollie on weekends - they in particular have made that Friday afternoon slot their own - but they'll be great on weekdays. Do wonder if 'Summer on Radio 1' is just a placeholder name until they decide on who will cover the interim. While it's obviously not the case it does feel like they've forgotten there's that weekend afternoon slot to fill given no permenant presenter has been announced for it yet.
    • Zoe Ball is back on the breakfast show on Monday.
    • Just listening to matt and mollie at work and heard them say it's their second to last show on weekends
    • And Arielle mentioned in her Instagram post that her final early breakfast show is the 27th of June - the Thursday before Glastonbury 
    • When Matt covered breakfast on 22nd April, he said their new show was starting in 10 weeks, so that’d be the 1st July.
    • Would love for it to be like the Summer Friday Thing that me and @DC were remisincing about recently. Lots of events going on that could easily form part of it.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/summer/cardiff/thursday/1.shtml