Unofficial Mills

What pisses you off about Radio 1?

Viv

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TIM WESTWOOD....slightly head-inducingly annoying and one to avoid when i listen to 1xtra/r-1 on a saturday evening---god, i have to even listen to Capital radio to avoid the WESTWOOD and his cronies, :(

Hacer a los demás lo hacen otros de vosotros, Sólo ser feliz :)

When was the last time Fearne actually did a show for R1? In the past month i only seem to have heard Reggie or Scott on the sunday.

I dont mind some crossover between radio and tv presenting, or if someone is really ill etc but I do find it irritating if I feel that presenters treat their radio appearances as if they didnt matter. In that case I think they should step aside for a presenter that really wants to be there. ( As Kelly osbourne appears thankfully to have done.)

Really find the Grimshaw trails grating, 10pm+ is a no go time for Radio 1 now days, used to end up listening all the way through but now I've been listening to Richard Bacon instead.

So are the weekend shows, Friday night gets so boring with all the countless dance songs, the Saturday night Urbanathon is really unbearable and Switch is like Radio1's CBBC slot, with OMG's and JoBros... I can feel my brain cells and soul dying.

Oh and Greg James is far too early for anyone to listen too, hes one of the only good shows to listen too and I cant listen live anymore because I have to try and have a life. Which is a shame!!

How good new music lasts on the playlist about a week and is low down while we are subjected to awful new tracks from bands like the Arctic Monkeys until the cows come home. I liked that shinedown track but that must have left the playlist within a week. Yet arctic monkeys was played twice today in some shows. Isn't it the home of new music?

The request show annoys me. Still too much playlist in it sometimes but thats because sometimes thats all people know to request. Or if someone requests a song by an artist Fearne or Reggie suggest the newest 1 like with Saturday someone asks for Pokerface so Reggie says I have Papparazzi so he played that instead

james_ryder.png

The 'Stay up with Grimshaw' trails really annoy me. As if Switch isn't bad enough, it's Grimmy overload right now. On the topic of Switch: 'Face in a Bowl'? Are we 10? It's insulting!

Quite a few of the new trails nark me, but they're probably just me. The 'BBC Radio One' jingles, normally in Newsbeat, are silly. They're out of time and I can't talk along with them anymore. :(

I also want to see this 'brilliant' TV advert that they made and dropped at the last minute. Nothing ever came of that, did it?

I don't like to pick out negative things, especially with loving Radio One as much as I do, but some things really make me tick.

The 'Stay up Grimshaw' trails really annoy me. As if Switch isn't bad enough, it's Grimmy overload right now. On the topic of Switch: 'Face in a Bowl'? Are we 10? It's insulting!

Is that a command for Grimmy to stay up ;)

1) Nick Grimshaw

I dont know where he came from, I dont know why Radio 1 took him on, I just want him gone. I HATED weekend breakfast when he was doing it, and actually listened to the Moyles and Mills podcassts while he was on instead. I've been unfortunate enough to have heard the nighttime show on occassion as well and I also think thats dreadful.

2a) Moyles getting slated for the slightest thing.

Yes he's a bit like Marmite, either love him or hate him, but lately it seems a lot of people bad mouth him for the slightest thing. I'm waiting to hear the backlash to his (correct) comments about the Michael Jackson thing last night which he made on air this morning. Yes he has a bit of a tendancy to go on about things a lot to begin with, the new found love for cooking and the Comic Relief climb for example, and he enjoys a good rant now and then. But most people do that in every day life anyway. I saw some comments on a video on youtube of him interviewing Peter Andre, and some of them were just insults for the sake of insults. Leave the man alone, forget any preconceptions you have and you might just find you enjoy the show. Nobody can be liked by everyone, but from having listened to what he has to say on the show and from having seen his various TV work he seems like a genuinely nice man whose heart is in the right place.

2b) Cheggers Pop Quiz

anything to do with Keith Chegwin makes me want to turn off whatever he's appearing on. It never was, and never will, be a worthy replacement to Carpark Catchphrase. The clips of him speaking are irritating, the theme tune is irritating, the whole feature just irritates me

3) Jo Wiley.

She seems to feed off of youth culture in order to survive, she often gets behind bands or artists that arent that brilliant and champions songs that are absolute garbage, the way she talks about La Roux is a brilliant example. Personally I think La Roux is terrible and has a dreadful voice, yet she lovin her when she was in the Live Lounge recently. I also thought the way she brought up what Chris Moyles had said about La Roux's voice was uncalled for and basically shit stirring, there was no real reason to have brought it up and seemed to me to just be her getting a dig in for the sake of it.

4) Sara Cox's sunday show.

Why the hell is a daytime weekend show a pre-record?!?! If she doesnt want to do the 1 show a week she actually does as a live show, she shouldnt be at Radio 1. Pre-recorded shows I can accept, but I dont really think theres a valid reason for having a daytime show as a pre-record every week, its not on partuclarly early so getting up cant be an acceptable excuse, and its finished at 1 so she still has most of the afternoon to be with the family. I cant connect with the show in the same way I did when it was Vernon, or Chappers and Dave doing it live.

5) Switch

Do yourselves a favour BBC, get rid of it altogether. While it may be there to encourage a younger audience, it is pushing out the more loyal listeners. I used to listen to Dave Pearce on a sunday night after the chart show, now I'll find somthing on the tv instead of listening to R1 on a sunday night, and thats on the rare occassion I even listen to the Chart show these days thanks to the ever rubbish, kids tv style presenters, Fearne and Reggie.

6) The ........ show with .......

When Scott fills in for Chris, it is advertised as "The Chris Moyles Show With Scott Mills", and in a similar way we also have "The Scott Mills show With Greg James". While I think Greg and Scott are more than worthy stand-ins on their respective shows, I think that they should stop advertising it as the same show just with a differnt presenter. When Chris is off, Scott and co bring with them their own style of banter and features. There is no tedious link, there is no Cheggers Pop Quiz (that i've noticed), there is no Rob DJ's Monday Night Pub quiz etc etc etc. In a similar way Greg doesnt generally do OWO etc.

They bring with them their own show, which is absolutely fine by me, but I think it's stupid to advertise it as The ..... Show with ....., The only times I've ever thought it applies is if Greg is called in for Scott very last minute and has banter and does the regular features with Chappers and Becky, or when Chris was off climbing the mountain and Vernon was in with the rest of the team

Not impressed with censorship

Cheggers is simply part of a long line of things that Moyles pushes hard as something funnier than it actually is, and hammers it until it's worthless. Thankfully, they've reduced it down to the Pop Quiz and confined it to it's own segment like they did with Car Park Catchphrase. That's far better than Chegfest which included a new Cheggers jingle every week and that horrible, HORRIBLE Chappers Chappers Dave Dave song and dance which the team should probably be incredibly embarrassed about, to the point of possibly considering suicide over it? Maybe not to that extreme, but it was fucking awful.

Did I mention Rachel and her corporate hyperbole in my original post? If I did, it should be reiterated repeatedly. If I didn't, it needs saying. Corporate Rachel makes me want to rip my ears from out of my head and replace them with hot molten lava. I've turned the show off in anger over Rachel before, due to such great lines as "I've had the latest parody in my head ALL YESTERDAY HAH HAH HAH!" which she delivers after EVERT SINGLE LATEST SONG FAD. I'm not even kidding. And it's obviously a load of bullshit and she's either lying through her teeth or needs to take a vacation away from radio for about... say, a year? She's a great producer, no doubt in my mind, and no one does her job like she does. But her on-air presence can be painful at times. And every song is great, and everything ties into the great work of the BBC and all the great things it does and all the great DJs on Radio One, even though at least 50% of the DJs on the station are about as enjoyable as a blowjob from your Grandad.

So I hear, anyway.

Then again, I often wonder if I'm a closet sexist as Carrie often does my head-in too.

Saying that though, Dave has his moments. I've lost track of how many awful TV shows he's labelled as "genius". They really do pander to the lowest common denominator sometimes, which is expected but sad nonetheless.