Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 slipping out of its age remit

Jono

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Evans went back & didn't Kenny Everett also go back after being sacked, Brand wouldn't have been sacked he resigned, so there is nothing to stop him going back really & has any one said that the BBC accepted his resignation ?

Its not a case of Brand not going back because BBC won't give him a job he resigned and has ruled out working for the BBC again - his choice not theirs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest inxces4308

If you listened to Radio 1 today between 10-1 then thats perhaps where the papers/journalists get this mad idea from.

Think i heard Bellamy Brothers [Let Your Love Flow] followed by Andy Williams [Music To Watch The Girls Go By] .........

I loved it, but i listen all week too, but if you only ever listened to Radio 1 on a sunday then you might get the idea that they arn't playing enough new music.

Guest inxces4308

I do really like the Lie in and love Moyles' show but for some reason i dont like the Golden hour.

Mainly because if i really wanted 'golden' tracks then i'd listen to every commercial station between 9-10am each day for 'The Golden Hour', 'Ten From When', 'Back In The Day', High Schools Hits' - the list goes on.

I think there's a point to this.. showing my age a bit, Radio 1 at the moment reminds me of the days just before Matthew Bannister came along..

Golden Hour / Our Tune is back - DJ's in their mid 30's or older commenting on records that are not to their taste, but are for the core demographic for which Radio 1 exists.. (Nickelback, Basshunter, Kid Rock spring to mind)

The rise of commercial radio "Yacht Rock" (or made-for-major-indie-bands) such as Scouting For Girls, The Hoosiers etc which dominate the "A list" and the sad way the Radio 1 DJ's call them "amazing" shows how out of touch they are (granted, Fearne Cotton thinks everything is amazing) - this is not "new music", this is not exciting for anyone under the age of 35.

We need a new Smashey & Nicey to shake things up a bit.

I think there's a point to this.. showing my age a bit, Radio 1 at the moment reminds me of the days just before Matthew Bannister came along..

Can I just say it's thoroughly enjoyable to read your posts. Someone who knows how to write properly on a forum! :)

I'll have you know that my zimmer frame has a bluetooth volume switch paired with my windows mobile phone thingy to ensure the correct loudness gets pushed to my hearing aid... Jeez. I'll be classed as senile next for being 40.

Seriously though, even I'm interested in newer music, and R2 doesn't cater for that. Where else do I go other than Radio 1? Commercial radio? No thanks.

Well I'm old enough to remember the good old days and Radio 1 has never sounded so good. As Jono said, the GCAP merger which has effectively brought in a national local radio service is just moaning for the sake of it. Moyles may have an older listener base but I can hardly see Zane getting 35 year olds on board.

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

im 14 and i listen to Radio 1...i dont like the less mature presenters like dick and dom etc...i think the beeb worries too much about seeming young nd cool,i have a few friends that listen to R1 but most people do listen to their iPods, sad but true, not as entertaining and a wee bit antisocial (although i listen to my iPod alot, i do admit it can be kind of rude in certain circumstances)

<3 Scott Mills

Haha, it doesn't seem to have a huge amount to do with the thread.

Anyway, back on topic - my mum listens to R1 and she's in her 50s, she hates R2, she's always said that she'll never start listening to it, haha. Although having said that she does think that Moyles talks too much and doesn't play enough music.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

• 2 weeks later...
I don't really know what to say about this article in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/dec/14/radio-1-bbc-audience-age-rajar

So Scott & Chris in effect have to start dumbing down. Just to get the age limit down. Its all a load of rubbish anyway. Its just another case to cause argument like everything else.

james_ryder.png

Well this is clearly done by people with a hidden agenda - Global radio are loosing money because of less advertising revenue coming in (probably due to the credit crunch), so clearly they will want some of the BBC's audience share. If revenues are falling, they need to get higher audience figures, and the BBC have a very large share of the total UK market.

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

What they forget to mention is how much of local radio's audience is actually taken up by old people as opposed to young people, so I don't think they should be complaining. Radio Broadland, for example, is a youth station but I only know of middle-aged people who listen.