Unofficial Mills

Doctor Who

demonhorse

On that note, 1970s!Tom Baker is now one of my biggest crushes :P

Aaah. Now I understand what you have in common with our Kelly... Welcome btw.

To all Doctor Who doubters: It really isn't necessary to watch Doctor Who from the beginning . You can catch up on any episode, no problem. Everyone knows the basics. Time Lord, travels through time, has a police box that's deceptively large on the inside, fights monsters... That's pretty much it.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself that you've never seen it Kirsty!;) Bit like Scott and his rubbish TV history (only started watching Friends a year ago) and Jono's aversion to James Bond.

I thought tonight's episode was pretty good. Loved The Doctor using a water pistol on a nasty monster. It was pretty emotional too, as usual.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aaah. Now I understand what you have in common with our Kelly... Welcome btw.

See, Kelly? I've been a member here barely a week and you've already ruined me! :P

On topic, I liked the episode as a whole. Not too sure towards the end when we had that bit of Tinkerbell Jesus Doctor God though.

"I've always empathized with your mad cow."

That's nothing to boast about. Cross Ref. Jono and James Bond.

Seriously?

There's someone else who's never watched a Bond movie? I always seem to start them and get bored after the first 10 minutes.

But then again, I only started watching Who this year because my mum hates it and as I don't have a TV in my room, couldn't watch it so i never got into it. Now I have the iPlayer/my mum has decided that she does like Tennant. Also, Torchwood - Amazing. Most people who watch it that I know never watched an episode of Who.

I think I can tolerate Ms Tate - just. The mark of an actual actor though is they make you forget that they aren't really the character they're portraying. For example David Tennant was completely convincing as Casanova when he was in that, now he's completely convincing as the Doctor. John Sim was completely convincing in Life on Mars, then again completely convincing as the Master on Doctor Who. And a short, middle aged, dumpy Dame Judi Dench totally convinced me that she was Cleopatra.

When I see Ms Tate, all I see is Ms Tate.

UM is a nice place

Ahhh I liked Dr Who today.

I am now debating whether it's worth winding up my housemate by texting her something along the lines of 'I can't believe he got shot!' as she has told us she can't watch it till tomorrow. She's at home for the next two weeks though... so would have forgotten by the time I see her next. Possibly.

There/ They're/ Their. Different words.

Haha. Bad Bumbley!

Good episode. Less jokes than usual, but I thought it made a pertinent statement about child labour/treatment of livestock. Catherine Tate was irritating every now and then - but I think she's supposed to be. She's become the Doctor's conscience now. She'll do.

Martha's back next week!

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I have noticed on other websites I post on that Catherine Tate is acquiring a lot of defenders, though there is still a sizeable minority that loathes her.

Philosophical Question of the Day: Is a 'sizable minority' technically 'a minority', or possibly 'a majority'? Hmmm. Nati ponders.

Anyone here watch it?

what did ya think?

I thought it was bloody good.

*fuller review coming soon when I've watched the repeat either later tonight or tomorrow.

I've never been into Doctor Who. I did try watching it when David Tennant came on the scene, but I couldn't stand Billie playing a chav and her chav family. It was just annoying and disappointing they had to do that. ¬_¬;

Then there was the nurse, I think she was? I only saw one or two episodes with her in and I liked it, but I kept missing it because my TV didn't work (except for my gaming consoles) and I didn't make an effort to see it any other way as it's not something I'm used to watching and wasn't really too fussed about.

And now they've put Catherine Tate in it who I can't staaannnd. I can't look at her without seeing that little chavvy school girl.

When will they put a companion in it that I like, and don't end-up with no TV to watch it on!? Ah well...

• 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I think it's great the amount of choice out there right now. I could happily listen to Greg or Jordan in the morning, Going Home or Huw Stephens in the evening, or Scott and Matt and Mollie in afternoons.  Still a few times when I'm channel hopping but maybe that's healthy to check out what's around.  As that research pointed out, Scott is good for minimal distractions. If you want some chaos I dare say it'll be Matt and Mollie offering that.  Plenty of my friends say it's the Radio 1 playlist that puts them off, even if they like the DJs. So Radio 2 is more preferable. 
    • I quite quickly gave up on Scott’s show on R2 as I realised it wasn’t my kind of vibe. I do listen to the Scott Mills weekly to catch up, because I still think Scott is great, but there is just something missing (for example, he played out some clips recently of the old sleep recording app from the R1 days, and didn’t play ‘go and open the window Garry’ - or if he did, it didn’t make it to the podcast.) I don’t see them changing it now or making it any ‘younger’ than it is.   Matt & Mollie in the afternoon is something that I’m really looking forward to. They are such an interesting and funny listen. It has given me a different dilemma though, as 1pm has been the perfect time for me to catch up on the Capital breakfast show and takes me perfectly to the end of my working day, so now I’ll probably have to forego listening to that and stick with R1 for Matt & Mollie. These shows need podcasts because it’s already giving me fomo. 
    • Even for the older Radio 1 listeners (of which there are still quite a few) Scott’s show doesn’t feel quite right.  (That’s nothing on Scott who sounds good but more the station sound and content). Since moving to Capital Breakfast I haven’t been listening to much Radio 1.  I always found the shows outside of Breakfast and Drive more wallpaper due to my working day and the show content of RMC and Dean and Vicky so Capital is just background noise to me after enjoying Breakfast.
    • I love Scott but if you're a 20 or 30 something that enjoyed his last few years of Radio 1 the Radio 2 show just doesn't translate. Stars from Neighbours or 90s singers just aren't my cup of tea and I can't get enthused about some has been at Radio 2 in the Park or some country music countdown.  Until that changes I will probably more likely listen to Matt and Mollie.  The Steve Wright fans think Radio 2 has turned into Radio 1 but it has a long way to go to win over the older R1 audience. 
    • Radio 2 brought in Scott to bring the afternoon audience age down, but I feel with Matt and Mollie replacing Dean and Vicky they're going to be competing for a similar audience. Will Scott's show evolve to bring in more listeners or do you think they will be comfortable with the audience they currently have?
    • Yes I'm the same with 6Music. Huw Stephens offers something different. 
    • They are an answer. I do listen to 6 Music quite a bit but kind of feel like it isn’t for me unlike the New Music Fix Daily, Huw Stephens who I’d happily listen to. Think it’s a generational thing and music preference. But it’s like how 1 Xtra cut down Snoochie Shy’s nightly show to just Monday and with Wednesday and Thursday with just playlist programme. I just miss the days of having more choice of that time of night.
    • Practically speaking, Riley & Coe on 6Music is the answer to that problem - but I get your overall point.
    • Yes and thats the huge selling point after 6pm as always has been in the evening. As when I started listening to radio 1 about eleven twelve years ago its the station that got me into music new and familiar artists and bands. I think the issue with a lot of the new music shows being crammed in length of the shows and not all is live there’s less chance for a presenter to tell you about the band or artist or have the impression of chatting to the listener by reading out texts and emails or including voice notes. I’m really enjoying Jack Saunders’ new music show as thats how you do a show like that on Radio 1 good mix of genres but from 10pm onwards you don’t have the presenter chatting to the listener or that live feel as sometimes you need at that time.
    • Given one of yesterday’s ‘bangers’ was Noah Kahan’s Stick Season, I doubt it.
    • No chart show on the 24th May because of Big Weekend.
    • How has it been working early mornings as a parent, Chris? Is it harder to juggle than the 1-4 slot?
    • I still think Dua Lipa could make the line-up. She's in the Live Lounge soon. Would be a scoop if they had two of the key Glastonbury performers.
    • Is the three bangers after nine idea meant to compete with Ten Minute Takeover? 
    • Connor Coates is in for Charlie Hedges on Saturday 18th May. Kerrie Cosh is in for Jess on Sunday 19th May.