Unofficial Mills

What's in a name?

Jono

Thanks to Lucinda for pointing this story out, quite amusing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7312412.stm

According to a new survey names effect how we perceive someone. A 'Lisa' or 'Brian' are the least successful, whilst 'Helen' and 'John' are least lucky. As for least attractive? 'Ann' and 'George'.

It may explain Ann Widdecombe's problems, but does it explain how George Clooney isn't considered that successful?

It's 'Ryan' and 'Sophie' that are considered most attractive.

The most amusing bit has to be that 'Hugh Janus' has commented on the article saying it'd ludicrous.

Which could explain why we like George Clooney so much, but I can't say I've gone around thinking Ann Widdecombe is anything special.

George and Ann are supposed to be the least attractive names, Ryan and Sophie most attractive, which is why they reckon George Clooney might have been more successful had he been called Ryan.

People often spell my name wrong but at least there are few occasions where there are other people with the same name to be confused about. My parents were cruel though, giving me 3 middle names, because I can never fit them on a damn form.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I don't think any name can identify anyone as attractive. Unless you're a really ugly baby, there's no way to tell how they will grow up to look when your parents name you.

Anyway, in my experience, I've found Thomas and Laura as an attractive person's name, but I have weird attractions too...

I do think of names in terms of the people I've known with those names, I think everyone does. Like if you know a Sarah who isn't a nice person (no offence to any Sarah's here) you tend to not like that name. My parents gave me names they thought were nice, unfortunately, they liked too many names, but couldn't afford to have 8 children so divided the names between their two children.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Ooh, mine means "whole" or "universal."

http://www.behindthename.com/name/emma

Find out the meaning of yours through this link here:

http://www.behindthename.com/

The only thing I can find of my name is:

MARC

Usage: French, Welsh

Pronounced: MARK (French) [key]

French and Welsh form of MARK

..which is a bit pathetic :lol:

The most heroic act is the one that no-one knows about.

Ooh, mine means "whole" or "universal."

http://www.behindthename.com/name/emma

Find out the meaning of yours through this link here:

http://www.behindthename.com/

SIGRID

Usage: Scandinavian

From the Old Norse name Sigríðr, which was derived from the elements sigr "victory" and fríðr "beautiful, fair".

I told you it was something like that. I'm really good :D

Quite surprised that website knew my name, by the way.

Il n'y a qu'un devoir, c'est d'être heureux; il ny'a qu'une vertu, c'est la justice -Denis Diderot

Well, 'Natalie' is either French or Slavic (according to 2 different sites) and means 'to be born from'. Hmmm, NICE imagery there!?

Ooooh! It means Christmas Day too. Think I'll stick with this definition.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

MICHAEL

Usage: English, German, Czech, Biblical

Pronounced: MIE-kul (English), MI-khah-el (German) [key]

From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) which meant "who is like God?". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers.

This was the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.

Now Bow to me.

kthnxbye.

>> I'm on here every now and again... <<

http://www.offthechartradio.co.uk

<table width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="normalcell">HEATHER </td></tr> <tr><td class="minicell" style="padding: 3px 3px 3px 20px; text-indent: -10px;" valign="top"> Gender: Feminine

Usage: English

Pronounced: HE-dhur [key]

</td></tr> <tr><td class="normalcell" style="padding-right: 10px;"> Means simply "heather" from the English word for the variety of small shrubs with pink or white flowers which commonly grow in rocky areas. It is derived from Middle English hather.</td></tr></tbody></table>

That is pretty rubbish. Going to go try find a better meaning.

I use middle name as it's far cooler than my first name I think and that name database emma posted has proved it right go me.

SEBASTIAN

Usage: English, German, Polish, Finnish, Romanian

Pronounced: se-BAS-chen (English), se-BAS-tee-an (English), ze-BAHS-tee-ahn (German), se-BAHS-tyahn (Polish) [key]

From the Roman name Sebastianus which meant "from Sebaste" in Latin. Sebaste was the name a town in Asia Minor, its name deriving from Greek σεβαστος (sebastos) "venerable" (a translation of Latin Augustus, the title of the Roman emperors). Saint Sebastian was a 3rd-century Roman soldier martyred by arrows after it was discovered he was a Christian. This was also the name of a king of Portugal who died in a crusade against Morocco.

Download the Adam and Joe & Jon Richardson podcasts now!

NEIL

Usage: Irish, Scottish, English

Pronounced: NEEL

From the Gaelic name Niall, which is of disputed origin, possibly meaning "champion" or "cloud". This was the name of a semi-legendary 4th-century Irish king. A famous modern bearer of this name was American astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first person to walk on the moon.

cloud eh?, always seems to be one following me around these days :(