Unofficial Mills

When should you move out?

Jono

my advice is stay at your parents for as long as possible :P, Paying mortgage and council tax aswell as weekly shopping bills amongst other bills is a costly affair.

Only bonus is getting away from the parents/family by moving out and gaining more privacy. I moved out when I was around 20ish, haven't looked back. Although saying that my parents are only a 5 minute drive away from me if I Do need to 'borrow' anything.

Well, I'm 20 and I still haven't properly left home, I just live in a separate house in Birmingham while I'm at uni. I'd say that after you've left uni would be a good time to start thinking about getting your own place, that's probably what I'll do anyway. I'll be 22 when I graduate so that would probably be the right time to start thinking about moving out, I'd want to start asserting my independence and all that.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

I reckon this is entirely down to individual environments and circumstances. I wound up leaving home comparatively late in my mid 20s (though was lucky enough to more or less have my own place and incredible freedoms there).

If I'd had the chance to stay away for uni though, I think I'd have taken it - everyone seemed to be having so much more fun...!

Nowadays, from what I read in the newspapers, we're supposed to be "boomerang" children - leave home to go to uni, then come back after uni, then keep moving out and back home again for the next 20ish years. The cost of moving out and getting a house is probably the main reason people stay at home later and later.

I'll be graduating in a little over a year's time (scary thought!) probably just before I turn 21, and while I would like to get my own place or a place with friends at that point, it's likely that I'll end up moving back in with my parents at least in the short term because I have no idea what I want to do or really where I want to be living. I may leave the country for a while after I graduate, but I'll probably end up with the parents when I come back. My sister is 23 and still living with my parents, but that isn't through choice, she's too ill to get a job.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

im 19 and at home, i stand on my own two feet and earn my own money and contribute. so i don't see the problem. the way my life is panning out then i will be single when i move into my own place whenever that may be. so in that respect whilst i may be alone, it will be better financially.

on the grid.

I left home at 19, first to work in Spain, then off to Uni with a full grant, student loan, part-time bar job and full-time summer temping work. I won't pretend I didn't need the odd handout from the parents on occasion though. I loved going home to be made a fuss of after every term too!

My parent however, have kept my room with all of my junk in it, and have told me I can always be there for as long as I want/need to. I've been back to live with them for a few months a couple of times, contributing financially, but found the loss of privacy a complete nightmare.

All in all, I think it is so important that you always have somewhere to go if you need to, and that it is a parents' job to provide this security.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Its a really difficult question to answer...cos ideally you cant move out until you have enough money to support yourself independently, and rents and living costs tend to be so expensive... I really feel sorry for todays teenagers!

And also indirectly for the parents of teenagers...who dont necessarily want stroppy teenagers at home!

Maybe we really need to campaign for affordable social housing for young people!

Its a really difficult question to answer...cos ideally you cant move out until you have enough money to support yourself independently, and rents and living costs tend to be so expensive... I really feel sorry for todays teenagers!

And also indirectly for the parents of teenagers...who dont necessarily want stroppy teenagers at home!

Maybe we really need to campaign for affordable social housing for young people!

I completely agree with you.

Another thing that really frustrates me is that on a teacher's salary, I've always had to rent. I'd love to have been able to (be able to) afford my own place, but have never been in the position financially to do so.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I feel so sorry for youngsters who want to get their own property, as renting is just paying someone elses mortgage.

Imo it the rich property developers who buy up all the run down type houses, get them up-date and earn a massive amout of profit.

Not to many years ago, you could buy a decent sized property and do it up, as and when you pleased. There is nothing like that around now !

I watch a programme on BBC1 about house buying and these property developers own about 200 houses and of course rent them out for horrendous amounts.

I am trying to downsize at the moment and its impossible, as a 2 bedroom house is more than the 3 bed I am in now.

If they stopped the PD then you youngsters will have a much better chance to get your own home.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually I do own the road

I'm quite lucky, I managed to get a handout from my parents who wiped off a third of my mortgage in one go meaning I was able to afford to get on the property ladder, albeit a 2 bed ground floor flat. Maybe one day I will be able to afford a bungalow but certainly not for a number of years the way the property market is going. Since buying the flat prices around the area have gone up nearly £30K.

Even buying the flat was difficult, uphere we operate on "sealed bid" system where you have to bid what you are willing to pay for the property, my place was only on for £47,500 around 5yrs ago and I ended up paying just over £62K and only just secured the property! :shock:

Eek, there's a flat on the same street as me exactly the same as the one I have for offers over £95K :shock:

I'm in the same situation here. All my friends have left for Uni so I'm the only one who is still living with their parents. I work full time but the average price for a 1 bed flat where I live is £180,000. These days you have to give a 20% deposit to get a mortgage, so where on earth am I going to get £36,000 from?

I really don't like the idea of sharing the ownership of a place with a friend / partner, as I've heard horror stories of that turning into a disaster. I know someone who bought a place together with his on/off girlfriend, they broke up and he had to leave without a penny. He lost a fortune. For that reason I'm only interested in having a sole ownership of a property, but that obviously increases the cost!

EDIT 17:01 26/03/08 Ok just out of curiosity I looked into how much a two bedroom flat in my area would cost me and the mortgage repayments that I would have to pay.

I found a 2 bedroom flat for £175,000 which suited my needs quite nicely. Now to be able to buy that I would have to make a deposit of £25,000 and then pay £793 per month for 40 years to pay off the mortgage.

Ok maybe I'm looking too deep into this, but the moving out subject has been happening with me for a few months now, so it's something I'm quite interested in.

I think the idea of leaving home young is old fashioned now, prices and taxes are much to high and it's easier to stay at home until you have finished all studies and got a steady well-paid job.

As much as I want to move out I really can't see myself doing it any time soon.

-

Id like to move out for the freedom etc but I am very reluctant to rent, to me its wasting money unless you have a real need to be at a certain place (i.e Scotts flat in Bristol)

Id rather do what I am doing now, living at home keeping the parents sweet with a few quid a month and trying to save towards to impossible target of a house.

Realistically I want to have £10 - 20K saved, borrow the rest and put down a deposit, then spend 2 years staying home every night as I have no money for anything else!

Thanks Mr Brown, living the dream mate! :(

90758050lf4.jpg

then spend 2 years staying home every night as I have no money for anything else!

Thanks Mr Brown, living the dream mate! :(

Add an 0 to that and it might be more realistic :(

This government has the attitude of ' I'm alright Jack '

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer :x

No wonder people are moving abroad !!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually I do own the road

I moved out of my mum and stepdads when I was about 14/15, I hated my stepdad, been staying at my nans for a few years.

Went back to my mums last year for 6 months, then moved out again :lol:

I can't wait to get my own place, but I'm gonna get one when I move instead of up here, I hate it :lol:

The most heroic act is the one that no-one knows about.

i will move out when i go uni i suppose so i will be....*thinks* 18. so next year. Next year? How scarey!

Think thats bad? I'm having a mid-mid-life crisis, I'll be 20 next year :confused: :lol:

Thats scary...:lol:

I'm not going to move out until I leave school in 2½ years. I'll be 19 then - and not even really moving out because I plan to spend one year in England as an au pair.

But after that I am going to move out properly to go to university in Odense.

Il n'y a qu'un devoir, c'est d'être heureux; il ny'a qu'une vertu, c'est la justice -Denis Diderot

I'm not going to move out until I leave school in 2½ years. I'll be 19 then - and not even really moving out because I plan to spend one year in England as an au pair.

But after that I am going to move out properly to go to university in Odense.

I prefer apples myself....sorry, gods that was terrible :lol:

Wheres odense then?

I prefer apples myself....sorry, gods that was terrible :lol:

Wheres odense then?

Haha :P

Odense is in Denmark on Funen (is that what it's called?) Anyway, on the island in the middle of Denmark.

Odense is where Hans Christian Andersen comes from (I suppose you know who that is? He's a very famous writer born in 1805. You know "The Ugly Duckling" and "The Little Mermaid", right?).

Il n'y a qu'un devoir, c'est d'être heureux; il ny'a qu'une vertu, c'est la justice -Denis Diderot

Odense is in Denmark on Funen (is that what it's called?) Anyway, on the island in the middle of Denmark.

Odense is where Hans Christian Andersen comes from (I suppose you know who that is? He's a very famous writer born in 1805. You know "The Ugly Duckling" and "The Little Mermaid", right?).

Denmarks an Island?? I thought it was a country...:shock: (as you can see, I failed miserably at geography, I couldn't find me a*se with me hands..) :lol:

Nope, never heard of him. I have of the stories though. I thought the Little Mermaid was Disney..:lol: haha!