Unofficial Mills

Weekend afternoons

onlyME

I am big Sam and Danni fans and always think they should be getting maximum exposure. I'm wondering - which show do people on here think gets the most exposure/listeners - Sat/Sun early breakfast, or Fri/Sat/Sun afternoons..? I'm thinking it might be afternoons but I have no data to back that up.

If afternoons, I'd move Sam and Danni there and put James on weekend breakfast.

But with so much change going on... they might be reluctant to mess around with another show. Sam and Danni feel like the heirs of weekday afternoons in a few years

When did Sam and danni start that show, wasn't it fairly recently? Like you say they may not mess with another show and as it comes from Cardiff that's got to be a big factor.

James would be perfect on fri/sat/sun afternoons on radio 1 and would slot right in. Whichever way it happens at the weekend, he'll surely get a show from it. I wonder if he has to give notice with Capital and that could be a hold up

Moving Sam & Danni to weekend afternoons and replacing them on weekend breakfast with a solo presenter does feel like the more natural move. They've doubled up the presenters on Katie's old slot, so they may need to make a saving there. I don't really think 3 duos in a row is necessary.

They only started in September 2023, but I think that is largely irrelevant. These things change for the greater good.

Dev & Alice only did 6 months before they were swapped with Matt & Mollie back in 2018. Grimmy only did it for 9 months before they moved him to the evening slot.

1 hour ago, Ash101 said:

Moving Sam & Danni to weekend afternoons and replacing them on weekend breakfast with a solo presenter does feel like the more natural move. They've doubled up the presenters on Katie's old slot, so they may need to make a saving there. I don't really think 3 duos in a row is necessary.

They only started in September 2023, but I think that is largely irrelevant. These things change for the greater good.

Dev & Alice only did 6 months before they were swapped with Matt & Mollie back in 2018. Grimmy only did it for 9 months before they moved him to the evening slot.

And this move would probably happen in July, meaning their stint at weekend breakfast would be almost a year.

17 minutes ago, ianwilk1999 said:

Does it say anywhere that the weekend show is still tba? James Cusack will no doubt have a part to play in the changes be that weekend afternoons which he's sounds excellent on, or in weekend breakfast if Sam and Danni moved up to afternoons

From the BBC Press Release:

"....and an announcement will be made soon with details of Matt and Mollie’s current schedule time (13:00 – 16:00, Friday-Sunday)"

57 minutes ago, IamNotFromUK said:

And this move would probably happen in July, meaning their stint at weekend breakfast would be almost a year.

Dev and Alice technically only did eight months on weekend breakfast as a pairing before they took over weekend afternoons after Charlie Sloth disappeared. It's not unheard of. But it does then leave another gap to fill, so seems messy.

1 hour ago, Jono said:

Dev and Alice technically only did eight months on weekend breakfast as a pairing before they took over weekend afternoons after Charlie Sloth disappeared. It's not unheard of. But it does then leave another gap to fill, so seems messy.

Yes definately a plausible outcome but it is a messy year for the station atleast when Radio 3 announced their slate of programming changes at once and could’ve got that in order

10 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

I wonder if it might be slightly left field - James Cusack and Lauren Layfield together maybe? 

If that happen it will only be early breakfast, breakfast, official charts and dance anthems left with daytime presenters without having their hand held. Seriously don’t need all this hand holding too many cooks spoils the broth as the saying goes.

James Cusack is an excellent presenter by himself but they have clearly put him with others recently including Mollie and Nat to prove that he can also do it with other people.

He's popular, warm, funny and entertaining and his shows should be on weekly. I'm sure r1 have learnt that going for people that are the opposite of this, is the mistake of how d&v ended up. It's a no brainer for Aled to give him the afternoon show on a weekend and he's the last piece in a very strong weekday and weekend line up now

I can only think the reason this hasn’t been announced with others in the shake up is because it’s somebody new who announcing early would be a conflict on interest as they are on other stations 

James would fit this bill as he seems to do cover for global and radio 1 at the minute with no permanent show as of yet

I can see the swap with Sam and danni however as ash said

It feels very likely it's going to be James. He's been doing plenty of shows for Global including recently at their head office in London so and is clearly well thought of by them. It might actually be a bit of a steal (while not on the Jordan north scale but still) if the BBC signed him up for a full time show and took him away from Global.

It'll be really interesting to hear him on the shows weekend

I would say moving Sam and Danni to be that slot would be the most likely option.  They’ve been sounding great recently. I’d even put them as favourites for next Breakfast hosts now Jordan’s left (not for a while though).  

For weekends they do like putting people together so it could be another seemingly slightly random combo. I’ll have a random punt at Nikita Kanda and James Cusack.

I kind of think the next presenter of afternoons on weekends needs to be a solo presenter. Aled needs to wean listeners of becoming too custom of hearing their radio dj’s hands being held.

What’s this hand holding term you’ve started? It’s a bit insulting. I don’t think it’s hand holding, it’s clearly to create a different kind of show, quite intentionally. It might not be your preference but I think the term hand holding is a bit much 

On 3/2/2024 at 1:43 PM, Jono said:

James is sounding good this afternoon, interesting he's covering Matt and Mollie this afternoon.

I think he sounded brilliant yesterday, he gets better and better and some of the things he does on his shows set him apart massively. The apprentice game was very inclusive and how he invited everyone to it, you straight away feel like its a show for you. Witty and sharp during it and saying to email Aled when a listener said they wanted to be on radio 1 was cheeky.

The Brits mole piece at around 3.20 with the changed voice was a very amusing, I actually laughed out loud and so Mills-esque. He wasn't showing off about going there either and actually said at the end he didn't get a ticket so was going back home to yorkshire. You really can't beat his down to earth relateability and warmth, funnily enough just like the northerner who's departed, all be it he's a bit more showbiz now

Looking forward to hearing James today.