Unofficial Mills

Dean new presenter of early breakfast

Jono

4 minutes ago, IamNotFromUK said:

Yeah, it's a big demotion for Dean. Early breakfast is usually the first career step at Radio 1 or a promotion from doing a weekend show. Dean seems like a nice man, but I feel he was catapulted to the weekday show too fast, and we're seeing the result of it.

I do feel a little sorry for Dean and Vicky.  The show hasn't worked but I am inclined to blame management more than them.  Dean's recent Breakfast covers have shown that he has more potential than some of us gave credit.

2 hours ago, UnofficialStark said:

Does this feel like a bit of a demotion for Dean? Going from weekday afternoons to EB?

Certainly is when afternoons is considered a move up from early breakfast it is where Scott and Greg started out.

I could see him being genuinely happy about this.  He obviously was aware of their show being poorly received and this provides not only an out but an opportunity to do as @1_tw said above.  It's a much better springboard in to becoming a "star" imo even if also a demotion.

I really don't understand why people think this means Dean might be the next breakfast presenter, or even a stand in? Sure, he's done Breakfast a few times now – but the early breakfast presenter has never been the breakfast cover presenter on anything except an emergency basis (late presenter, really last minute sickness). 

I've not enjoyed the afternoon show, but I don't mind Dean – yet it's hard to see this as anything but a lesser show. 

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

I really don't understand why people think this means Dean might be the next breakfast presenter, or even a stand in? Sure, he's done Breakfast a few times now – but the early breakfast presenter has never been the breakfast cover presenter on anything except an emergency basis (late presenter, really last minute sickness). 

I've not enjoyed the afternoon show, but I don't mind Dean – yet it's hard to see this as anything but a lesser show. 

Matt and Mollie were a comfortable breakfast duo because putting them on breakfast wouldn't disrupt the weekday schedule. Now, they don't have that choice, which means it has to be someone from the weekdays. I don't see Vick, Katie and Jamie, because three presenters could be too heavy in place of Greg. It can still be M&M, but also Dean.

Your point about early breakfast presenters not covering breakfast is fair, but Dean is not a traditional early breakfast presenter, as his profile is arguably higher than that of the usual early breakfast presenter, and he has already covered the breakfast show.

Not sure about Dean presenting breakfast permanently - with the current trends it must be at least a duo. 

53 minutes ago, IamNotFromUK said:

Matt and Mollie were a comfortable breakfast duo because putting them on breakfast wouldn't disrupt the weekday schedule. Now, they don't have that choice, which means it has to be someone from the weekdays. I don't see Vick, Katie and Jamie, because three presenters could be too heavy in place of Greg. It can still be M&M, but also Dean.

Your point about early breakfast presenters not covering breakfast is fair, but Dean is not a traditional early breakfast presenter, as his profile is arguably higher than that of the usual early breakfast presenter, and he has already covered the breakfast show.

Not sure about Dean presenting breakfast permanently - with the current trends it must be at least a duo. 

Agree, I do think there's 2 options when it comes to Greg's Breakfast cover going forward....

1) Matt & Mollie (with Sam & Danni probably covering them in the afternoons)

2) Dean

I do think Katie would also be great, but do you let her go solo with the other 2 remaining on drive? As it's obvious Vick has no interest in Breakfast, cover or otherwise.

Funny to think Greg has had so many people cover him on Breakfast (Scott & Chris, Matt & Mollie, Jordan & Katie, Dean) when Grimmy basically only ever had Scott & Chris.

im not surprised, i knew change was coming. & alot of it makes sense just from succession planning. with what you hear as rumours. dean & vicky didn't work, so cut there losses  not their fault they just havent found their right place yet & it an almost impossible job to replace scott & chris. early breakfast is normally where you go, learn make your mistakes unnoticed, before you get a high profile job.

arielle free was never going to be on daytime so it just a seatfiller. & dean will probally be trained up now to take breakfast or mid mornings when either leaves

5 hours ago, lochnessa said:

I could see him being genuinely happy about this.  He obviously was aware of their show being poorly received and this provides not only an out but an opportunity to do as @1_tw said above.  It's a much better springboard in to becoming a "star" imo even if also a demotion.

Same. I also feel with the Early Breakfast show there is a much better opportunity to form a closer connection with the listener, as it will be a particular kind of person that is awake and listening then. I think Dean is great at doing that when presenting by himself, and I think that format is something that suits his presenting style perfectly.

The early afternoon slot is the hardest in my opinion as it’s something people dip in and out of whilst working, and is where presenter familiarity definitely helps. The early breakfast show feels more intimate and I think he’ll do great there. I think Dean having sole ownership of a key daytime show will be great as well. I can see how to some it could be seen as a demotion, but if I was Dean I’d see it as a promotion being given my own key daytime show.

4 hours ago, IamNotFromUK said:

I think moving Matt and Mollie to daytime does indicate putting them on Breakfast after Greg leaves in a few years isn’t out of the question. With the existing set of presenters, they are the only popular option, without recruiting externally now (which would likely be very expensive). I know historically they would prefer to give younger presenters the opportunity, but I’m not sure whether they’d compromise a huge drop in listeners overall on their flagship show, if their options were limited.

The question would be whether the Breakfast slot would fit with their personal schedules and they would take it. It seems likely we’ll have Greg for another 1-2 years at least now, so things could develop for other presenters before then which could change this.

I am really pleased for Dean that he is getting a show of his own. I'll be honest, I don't think I ever listened to his show when he was on weekends, and I know people have commented how much better he was then compared to when put on afternoons with Vicky (no shade to Vicky here).

I used to be up at the crack of dawn, early enough to listen to early breakfast, and the style and tone of presenter is so important at that time in the morning.  When Dean has covered Greg on breakfast this year, I think he could be the perfect fit to lift the mood of the early morning listeners.

Can't help but feel there is a demotion there, of course - but a fresh start for him to hopefully put the controversy of 'taking over from Scott' behind him, and show his own worth as a presenter in his own right.

Hard to see it as anything but a demotion - going from the Afternoon slot succeeding Scott Mills and recently doing a fair bit of Breakfast cover to now Early Breakfast which is deemed a more off-peak slot.

Though it may work out better in the long run for Dean. He seemed to draw a lot of the ire with criticism of Radio 1 recently and with his fast-track to weekday afternoons and then covering Greg recently there was the risk of him being seen as a bit of a 'golden child' fuelling even more backlash especially when popular DJs like Matt & Mollie and Katie were overlooked

Whereas now he has a chance to make a slot his own and build a little community with the Early Breakfat crew. Plus with Matt & Mollie and Katie on daytimes now it's less likely to be viewed as him getting slots over them.