Unofficial Mills

Arielle Free turns up to Dance Anthems drunk

xxladybarefootxx

12 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

Unless I missed it when scan listening - didn't Charlie play about 15 minutes of music after the on-air bit? So potentially there was some sort of off-air aspect too. I have never been sure if Arielle's feistiness is an act or is a side of her personality.

No it was about 5 minutes 

1 hour ago, onlyME said:

Arielle needs to knuckle down. There's already a new schedule that exists right now that could easily be permanent which removes her from the equation. They could soon give early breakfast to someone else permanently.

And there is another reality here - she isn't THAT important to Radio 1.  BBC must follow the same procedure for everyone I guess but all the same, she isn't Greg or Vick/Jordan.

9 minutes ago, Jono said:

Here we go. I can see her getting sacked. Shame because i really like her. But Charlie was professional i felt with the way she handled it

1 hour ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

Here we go. I can see her getting sacked. Shame because i really like her. But Charlie was professional i felt with the way she handled it

I honestly think Charlie could’ve done better by hitting the music and slamming the mics earlier. If you are going to put a drunk person in their place, you do it off air and put the mics down and don’t allow it to be heard. Play how many tracks you need to before you can move on. I would doubt she’d get sacked. If she is unhappy with any ‘investigation’ or disciplinary action Free would be the one likely to jump ship rather than told to go. But can’t see either party would want it to lead to a departure.

4 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I honestly think Charlie could’ve done better by hitting the music and slamming the mics earlier. If you are going to put a drunk person in their place, you do it off air and put the mics down and don’t allow it to be heard. Play how many tracks you need to before you can move on. I would doubt she’d get sacked. If she is unhappy with any ‘investigation’ or disciplinary action Free would be the one likely to jump ship rather than told to go. But can’t see either party would want it to lead to a departure.

The whole encounter is 30 seconds long..  The circumstances of how and why Arielle was allowed on-air we have no clue but for sure Charlie reacted quickly.

1 hour ago, Lily Georgia said:

The R1 Relax shows on 16th & 23rd August are now with Arielle & Sian.

On Thursday 17th August there's a results party show 20.00-22.00 with Maia Beth & Jeremiah.

On Thursday 24th August there's a guide to Reading & Leeds with Jack 18.00-19.00, a results party show 19.00-21.00, and Future Pop (with Maia Beth) 21.00-22.00.

Can we take from that arille will be back on air then 

2 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

The whole encounter is 30 seconds long..  The circumstances of how and why Arielle was allowed on-air we have no clue but for sure Charlie reacted quickly.

Indeed @BBCAaron Charlie reacted as soon as she realised what was happening, sounds like initially she thought it was banter then realised it was a proper dig and acted

I think Charlie did as well as she could in that scenario - we don't know quite how Arielle made it to air but as soon as it became clear that Arielle was still a little drunk Charlie did fade her down without making too much of a show of it and was able to quickly get another track on.

While I do quite like Arielle, as others have said she’s by no means irreplaceable on Radio 1. Her normal show is off-peak (and a perfect one to put new talent on) and there’s a lot of very capable alternative cover options for dance shows rather than Arielle whether that be Jerry Asiamah, Charlie Tee, Connor Coates or James Cusack.

Also while I'm sure the remarks when made are tongue-in-cheek, you do get the sense from little jokes and remarks that others R1 DJs like say Jordan or Greg make that Arielle can sometimes be a bit more "hard work" than some other Radio 1 DJs.

Though that's not to say she's not a lovely person and as I say I enjoy her Radio 1 shows.

33 minutes ago, Darren m said:

It says on the sun she’   Back

on radio 1 next week 

The only official word is the brief BBC quote.  Everything else being reported is no more authoritative than what has been shared here.

she is back on the schedule for next week and will be unless a decision is taken otherwise.

56 minutes ago, coffeeandgin said:

Also while I'm sure the remarks when made are tongue-in-cheek, you do get the sense from little jokes and remarks that others R1 DJs like say Jordan or Greg make that Arielle can sometimes be a bit more "hard work" than some other Radio 1 DJs.

Though that's not to say she's not a lovely person and as I say I enjoy her Radio 1 shows.

I mean most people can be hard work and think probably there’s many of them in radio. I atleast Arielle seems bit blunt and honesty and something that I respect her for and sometimes that might not always do yourself any favours or make you popular.

3 hours ago, Lee E said:

Indeed @BBCAaron Charlie reacted as soon as she realised what was happening, sounds like initially she thought it was banter then realised it was a proper dig and acted

I think it wasn’t a proper dig it didn’t seem like an intentional offence might bit sticking your foot into it. But think Arielle was just saying honestly what she thought about the song which I mean at the radio 1’s dance weekend the playlist should be set to a higher bar than that Barney horse girl thing. All Charlie had to do was mute the mics and play the music. She’ didn’t have to address anything on air. 

Charlie did rise and give lip back on air and needed to respect a difference of an opinion. Presenters need to be able to say if they find a song sounds bad. As there’s definately needs to step things up a bit.