Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Big Weekend to return to Dundee in 2023

radio1fan

10 hours ago, radio1fan said:

Big Weekend might be returning to Dundee this year if The Courier newspaper are to be believed 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/dundee/4088245/bbc-radio-1-big-weekend-dundee-may-2023/

Always think there should be fewer ticket press allocation for newspapers that break the embargos (or spoil announcements!).

• 3 weeks later...

I do question the long term future of radio 1’s big weekend on the tour and the current state of it. 6 music now announced that their festival year after year will come from greater Manchester wonder if there’d be similar changes to radio 1’s big weekend shrinking the size of the scale of the festival

• 3 months later...

Still find it bonkers BBC Three isn't used for Big Weekend coverage but Reading and Leeds is on there.

It's supposed to be one of the flagship BBC music events but just ends up on TV close to midnight?

On 5/26/2023 at 12:51 AM, DC said:

I can't wait for One Big Sunday 2001, in Carlisle. Can't miss Victoria Beckham.

Think they've done Dundee before, haven't they? Retro.

Lucky Greggor getting to do early breakfast during Big Weekend week.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:20 AM, Jono said:

Think they've done Dundee before, haven't they? Retro.

Lucky Greggor getting to do early breakfast during Big Weekend week.

Yes I think have done big weekend their before I’m hoping they do Swindon again next year lol

On 5/26/2023 at 11:30 AM, Darren m said:

Yes I think have done big weekend their before I’m hoping they do Swindon again next year lol

Yeah sure they did Dundee at some point, may have been mid to late 00's.

on the grid.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:30 AM, Darren m said:

That was a banging year - they had a Radio 1's Surgery tent - which seemed a fun idea but was never repeated.

On 5/26/2023 at 9:33 PM, Darren m said:

Should have given Ben Hensley the headline slot tonight my radio is blasting

Ben Hemsley is brilliant. All of his productions capture the peak of dance music around the 90s and early 00s. Remember hearing Danny Howard talk to him, he grew up hearing the classics from his mums collection.

on the grid.

I always find it weird they don't put their top presenters on from the start of Big Weekend. It's always new talent on weekend breakfast. By contrast the Hits network have their big stars on all weekend for Hits Live.

On 5/27/2023 at 10:17 AM, Jono said:

I always find it weird they don't put their top presenters on from the start of Big Weekend. It's always new talent on weekend breakfast. By contrast the Hits network have their big stars on all weekend for Hits Live.

I guess it's because every significant DJ is in Dundee, and it would ruin the start of the day.

Also, can someone record all of the live Big Weekend coverage and put it on mixcloud (11am-9pm)

It's always brilliant when the DJs mix for shows. Everyone thinking Arielle Free talking about her UTI ? 

Katie saying she was sick in a waffle house ?

Sly digs about Greg being the Joe Biden of R1! He said Matt is only a week younger, haha.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:04 PM, TheSaviourisHere said:

Whats everyones thoughts on the coverage so far?

Enjoying it. Thought the morning was funny. Snuts making me regret selling my tickets but struggled to make the sums work this year.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:05 PM, Jono said:

Enjoying it. Thought the morning was funny. Snuts making me regret selling my tickets but struggled to make the sums work this year.

Yeah felt last night was great all the dance line-up together. And Greg,Matt,Arielle and co this morning were great love it when they all get together. I'm glad the weather is good for them.

Jordan getting into trouble making the audience swear before Jonas Brothers ? They've been very sweary on stage compared to the other presenters!

Apparently Thirty Seconds To Mars are having 'technical difficulties'. Twenty five minutes late already.

Jared Leto was on Radio 1 earlier so not sure it's that they haven't arrived. I know they had a cancelled flight and lost luggage!