Unofficial Mills

Greg James for Radio 2

TheSaviourisHere

No chance. I reckon Greg will beat Moyles' time there and then some. I don't think from listening to Radio 1 recently, that they have anyone who's capable of truly stepping in his shoes. When Grimmy left Greg was always on the cards, nothing like that in the wings now. 

Maybe Jordan North at a push, but still too early for him even imo.

on the grid.

On 1/17/2023 at 6:28 PM, DC said:

No chance. I reckon Greg will beat Moyles' time there and then some. I don't think from listening to Radio 1 recently, that they have anyone who's capable of truly stepping in his shoes. When Grimmy left Greg was always on the cards, nothing like that in the wings now. 

Maybe Jordan North at a push, but still too early for him even imo.

Nah at least bit over a decade until Jordan would move on from 1 to 2. Theres only Greg and Adele out of the ones that are at radio 1 to 2 in the next few years

Surely no chance of Greg moving to Radio 2 to replace Ken - Radio 1 probably wants a bit of stability after the changes these last few years. Though if Greg were to leave Breakfast on R1 in the next year or two I can't see beyond Jordan & Katie being his replacements. Vick doesn't seem keen on the Breakfast gig full-time again and I can't see who it would be otherwise. 

Ken leaving R2 is massive news - many won't remember anybody but Ken in that slot. Big shoes too for whoever succeeds him to fill.

On 1/17/2023 at 6:54 PM, coffeeandgin said:

Surely no chance of Greg moving to Radio 2 to replace Ken - Radio 1 probably wants a bit of stability after the changes these last few years. Though if Greg were to leave Breakfast on R1 in the next year or two I can't see beyond Jordan & Katie being his replacements. Vick doesn't seem keen on the Breakfast gig full-time again and I can't see who it would be otherwise. 

Ken leaving R2 is massive news - many won't remember anybody but Ken in that slot. Big shoes too for whoever succeeds him to fill.

Think the art of the successor is just not to over thinking putting on a different pair of shoes. Think like when Nick Grimshaw took over from Moyles and the fact that Bruce will go straight to competing with Radio 2. You got to be ok with shedding some listeners. Think management will make sure that they are prepared for drop in listeners in the first measured RAJAR of it. Over thinking it will kick the nerves in and that will over do it. Think the height of how its built up is a lot but would be a lot so would assume that who ever takes over would keep distance from the comment sections.

I could be proved wrong... But for a slot like that, I can't see them going too radical with Ken's successor, i.e someone already well established at R2, and not someone parachuted in like Greg James or Vernon Kay*

*I know Vernon is somewhat on the schedule with his BBC Sounds series (which goes out in the early hours on R2), but he has TV commitments that see him regularly on the other side of the world.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:20 PM, NathanS said:

I could be proved wrong... But for a slot like that, I can't see them going too radical with Ken's successor, i.e someone already well established at R2, and not someone parachuted in like Greg James or Vernon Kay*

*I know Vernon is somewhat on the schedule with his BBC Sounds series (which goes out in the early hours on R2), but he has TV commitments that see him regularly on the other side of the world.

Yep, I cant see them being too out there. It probably be the safe and most cost effective decision. Think Greg maybe if he didn’t know or not he maybe not one to promise. He doesn’t seem one to overthink the duration of his tenure. I think its wise not wanting to promise anyone how long he would stay. Something strikes me that if he needed to stop doing breakfast as more of breakfast from the routine of the early start and the pressure of it he will be sensible in making the decision that he needs to do when he needs to do for himself.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:26 PM, NathanS said:

I did chuckle at a response Greg put on a Twitter thread where Richard Osman called for Liza Tarbuck to replace Ken. Someone put "Is it too early for Greg", Greg replied "Not at all, his show starts at 09:30"

well it’s right that it’s not too early for greg since he starts breakfast at 0700. Liza Tarbuck would be good with more airtime shes good when shes on tv which isn’t enough

31 minutes ago, Jono said:

I think someone like Claudia Winkleman or Jo Whiley is still more logical, another female in the daytime line-up. 

Think maybe its more Jo Whiley though Claudia would be good. Maybe they could consider doing something like Radio 1 does. One do four days and one do Fridays and Saturdays. Do think for evening show if Jo leaves it. Marc Riley, Edith Bowman, Steve Lamarq would be good names even Radcliffe and Maconie. But if this was several years later Clara Amfo would be a clever fit but seems not the time.

52 minutes ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

Or would they move Zoe to Kens Slot as she is high profile and then have Greg replace Zoe?

Do think that the idea that James would do an overnight switch from Radio 1 to Radio 2 breakfast overnight is bananas and unrealistic think he’d likely do one weekend show first or even do drive. But think it’s few years too early and would seem but too much too soon. Think it would need gradual ease and to do a bit of a different breakfast show which sure he will have the chance to do Radio 2 Breakfast

On 1/17/2023 at 11:49 PM, Bluestraw said:

Doubt Greg will beat Moyles' record but won't be going to R2 now! My money's on Trevor Nelson getting mornings, with Adele Roberts taking late nights. Can see a female replacement for Vine eventually, based outside London.

Think he could announce his departure at the end of the year and at latest out early 2024 but think he may do a few projects in transition to next major radio show.

I mean like Evan Davies eventually left Newsnight for PM it could be someone like Victoria Derbyshire, Tina Dahealy, Though covered the slot highly doubt when steps down Chris Mason, Phil Williams given he’s working there now and done stuff on Times Radio and 5 Live would be a fit for more softer lunchtime show

On 1/17/2023 at 7:48 PM, Jono said:

That’s a long shot not going to happen way to early in career to move to 2 and cant see Zoe being moved of breakfast think they may not want to get to many big bucks in the Radio 2 switch around

I think to keep the Radio 2 Breakfast show as it is in its national position think they would try to give the presenter a lengthy period of breakfast. Like Wogan and Evans did it for sometime maybe it be more like 8 years to a decade these days. Think they don’t want to boot people out any thing less if they can doubt they would make changes when Zoe keeps things head down though maybe dropping some listeners still quite stable and heads down