Unofficial Mills

Ken Bruce leaves Radio 2

DC

16 hours ago, Jono said:

The Comments section is hilarious - They are torn between decrying the 'death' of Radio 2, and decrying Ken Bruce himself for being a wimp with his 'unloved' comment ...

20 minutes ago, Old Codger Fan said:

The Comments section is hilarious - They are torn between decrying the 'death' of Radio 2, and decrying Ken Bruce himself for being a wimp with his 'unloved' comment ...

I think from the article it paints a picture that maybe the BBC was happy to see him go and felt ok with not having his contract renewed of course its spun a few issues into the mix but with the reports of error meaning they didn’t get the timing right for contract renewal I know its could be reading in between the lines and writing ones conclusion that isnt there but they didn’t seem keen on keeping him there. If as BBC Radio 2 saw the departure of Steve Wright’s ‘big show’ presenters from MistaJam, Simon Mayo to Venessa Feltz being poached for commercial sector and dead set on keeping him you would’ve ensured his contract renewal and reassured him that he would stay on. Eventhough. Loads of BBC stars are still there that said it doesn’t go without saying that stars like Scott Mills get offers that he could’ve gone for but turned down. In the end it didn’t seem that its the station for Ken Bruce as the station plays more contemporary dance-pop which given the generation that grew up around Radio 1’s early days of going to Ibiza and playing stuff from house, trance and garage are in late 40s to 50s. So it makes sense with Tiesto and David Guetta in their fifties think with Radio 2 its now has as said and been around with it before has the issue of the ageing population and trying to serve the middle age population and its setting into. Think for the listeners of Radio 2 since the 80s and 90s when they would play older music and assume would’nt dare to play more dance poppy music of what Radio 1 at the time would play. Think it’s more the Radio 2’s older listeners and figures like Bruce gradually fell out of love with the station. If you aren’t nostalgic its easier to evolve and move with the times. Think Radio 2 doesn’t want to be stuck in time when Greatest Hits Radio offers that

33 minutes ago, UnofficialStark said:

Rylan was apparently dropping hints about a secret announcement and not being on his Saturday Afternoon show anymore. People suspect that it means he might be Ken's replacement.

I was going to mention this earlier as some Twitter users and posters on another forum seemed to pick up on this. I did hear it yesterday but I didn't think much of it at first. Listening back... The way Sally was talking, it was like it was her last traffic bulliten with him (she's off next week, but he's not on the following week and couldn't say why). I just interpreted it as they won't be on air together for a few weeks. 

Who knows.. maybe there is something in it ?‍♂️

47 minutes ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Oh Gawd, I hope not ... Edith Bowman was great doing 'Sounds Of The 80's' last night, so gave me a glimmer of hope for Oooo Gary Davies to get the daytime gig ........

I do think Edith Bowman woudl be great with proper show for her own an evening show if they do ever move Jo Whiley and Trevor Nelso she would be good in either slot liked her on Virgin Radio I think  shes great play of playing a wide range of music. She could easily be used as cover on 6 Music hope they do give her a show soon. 

1 hour ago, NathanS said:

I was going to mention this earlier as some Twitter users and posters on another forum seemed to pick up on this. I did hear it yesterday but I didn't think much of it at first. Listening back... The way Sally was talking, it was like it was her last traffic bulliten with him (she's off next week, but he's not on the following week and couldn't say why). I just interpreted it as they won't be on air together for a few weeks. 

Who knows.. maybe there is something in it ?‍♂️

It would be odd if Rylan did it if they wanted a presenter passionate about playing whats on the playlist the more dance poppy stuff and the throwbacks that go to the more nineties stuff he woudl fit what the stations going for. But woudl be odd that daytime presenters Rickie, Melvin, Charlie, Greg and Adele would be older than him. He would be able to manage a couple of decades if it worked. But it would allow for peoples argument of Radio 2 being like Radio 2 closer

On 1/29/2023 at 4:01 PM, UnofficialStark said:

Rylan was apparently dropping hints about a secret announcement and not being on his Saturday Afternoon show anymore. People suspect that it means he might be Ken's replacement.

Turns out he's doing a challenge for Comic Relief this year, hence the cryptic conversation with Sally. Anita Rani is in for him Saturday after next.

The more I think about this, the more I think how it could go very wrong - on both sides of the equation ...

.. For example, GHR would be well-advised to make at least the first hour of KB's show advert-free - They could be a real source of annoyance to those who have enjoyed him for years, otherwise ,,,

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, NathanS said:

For anyone who hasn't read the chatbox. Well done to anyone who mentioned Vernon Kay in their predictions.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tv/10269518/itv-star-replacing-ken-bruce-bbc-radio-two/

I wonder if with such a massive announcements of radio’s most popular radio show to have one of the biggest radio news announcements leaked or released first with The Daily Mail and The Sun. Issue seems that the BBC doesn’t take control of their press and image. It would’ve been better if it come from the BBC themselves

8 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

I wonder if with such a massive announcements of radio’s most popular radio show to have one of the biggest radio news announcements leaked or released first with The Daily Mail and The Sun. Issue seems that the BBC doesn’t take control of their press and image. It would’ve been better if it come from the BBC themselves

I don't think the BBC do a bad job because they kept Steve/Scott under wraps and the fact that Ken was leaving secret especially well as anyone from the GHR side could've spilled. It seems to just be this one that's gotten away from them.

5 hours ago, UnofficialStark said:

I don't think the BBC do a bad job because they kept Steve/Scott under wraps and the fact that Ken was leaving secret especially well as anyone from the GHR side could've spilled. It seems to just be this one that's gotten away from them.

It wasnt in Greatest Hits Radio’s interests as think it was telling that they had the reigns and control over the press around that as they had they social media campaign press announcement all set and planned and social media team that can swiftly respond to potential listeners. GHR probably pre-assumingly wouldnt want a press leak to the bloids. The fact that they had a video of Ken Bruce announcing his new era and ‘Greatest Hits from the third of April is the home of Ken Bruce which looks better PR wise. 

Where as on this one the fact that the bloids got there first its not a win for the press team at the bbc.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing with official confirmation of the claim that Ken Bruce contract was terminated prematurely and has been given early dismissal for conflicts of interests regarding doing same job at a competitor and being a key component of their oppositions brand. With this point I don’t get how say GB News political reporter gets booked (Tom Harwood) for programmes like BBC’s Question Time and Politics Live. Another comparison could be with Jane Garvey and Fi Glover’s move to Times Radio in which they continued to air their final ‘Fortunately’ episodes when their new podcast ‘Off Air’ of their Times Radio show was running at the same time until end of last year

On 3/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, Old Codger Fan said:

Will be interesting to hear how Gary Davies handles the slot tomorrow ~ Bearing in mind that, at this stage, Mark Goodier over on GHR is no competition at all ...

On the subject of GHR and Mark Goodier, he's moving to mid mornings on the weekend. He'll also be the main cover for Ken.

• 5 months later...
16 hours ago, NathanS said:

Considering he's been at GHR since April, he don't half go on about the BBC and Radio 2, he's moved on in his career and so have R2.

I can't see him being that enthusiastic playing the same oldies day in day out either...

As he said he was afraid of turning into a grumpy old man whinging about the new stuff and think he’s already done that with these pressers. I feel Ken isn’t doing himself any favours and hasn’t realised he’s doing the same thing as he’s been doing day in and day out that he was at radio 2. Don’t know how he saw it as a great break from the monotony.

On 9/4/2023 at 7:48 PM, Jono said:

Interesting Ken Bruce saying the new music pushed him away from Radio 2 in the end

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/n...s-real-reason-162040514.html

If Ken regards new music as something from 2002 then his time had come I'm afraid. A lot of Radio 2's new music on their playlist is from established artists like Bev Knight, Keane, Simply Red etc. They are even playing a new song from Dolly Parton at the moment. 

on the grid.