Which commercial station is top of its game?

12 minutes ago, IamNotFromUK said:

LBC is pretty great IMO

A good suggestion. They seem to be getting the multimedia mix right. I've had to listen to government press conferences for work while driving and while Radio 4/5 cut away, between LBC and LBC News they cover it.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:58 PM, Jono said:

A good suggestion. They seem to be getting the multimedia mix right. I've had to listen to government press conferences for work while driving and while Radio 4/5 cut away, between LBC and LBC News they cover it.

I'm not sure about their content as in political left-right balance and such, as I know too little about UK politics, but I think the whole station imaging is great. It's fast, it's important. Well, maybe a little bit too important, but it sounds really professional. I like their presentation style which is engaging, serious and relaxed at the same time and listeners are a big part of the output. I work in a public radio station in my country (similar to your Radio 4) and I think that UK talk radio is a gem. We are way too bureaucratic back here.

1) For the talk-based networks: LBC has come on leaps and bounds, very well-established brand now, often on top of breaking news and does 'what it says on the tin'. TalkRadio is hampered by a line-up consisting (largely) of pub-bore presenters, but is doing well pushing it's constant streaming. TimesRadio deserves credit for relying on sponsorship only (no adverts as such) - Style is deliberately more 'dry' than the others, but I put an hour aside for John Piennar.  TalkSport2 is building a reputation for ACTUAL sports coverage, as opposed to the acres of inane 'banter' on the main TalkSport.

2) For the music-based networks: There are quality shows to be found in many places, but there's no one station I can stick with for an extended period of time. They all default to too many blocks of overly-predictable playlists, too-long ad breaks, and too many restrictions on what the presenters can do. Still, honourable mentions for: Chris Evans & Graham Norton on Virgin, Frank Skinner & Bush & Ritchie on Absolute and Simon Mayo on Greatest Hits. I sometimes fantasise about one combined station, which would give room (and breathing space) to all of them ...

3) Just to note that I regret it now seems to be out-of-the-question altogether for any show to divide its time equally between talk and music. Nick Abbot was able to do that for a time on the old 'Virgin 1215', in a richly entertaining way.

On 1/28/2021 at 11:04 AM, Darren m said:

Capital dance is good I listen to mistajam on sat nights it’s like his radio 1 dance anthems show but with a fe ads which I’m used to now 

I Love that station, and having Jam on it is even better, it seems he's allowed more links and voice than any other global station, or show apart from Moyles maybe? certainly loads more links that you'd get on heart or Capital 

I wonder if he negotiated that - looks like hes off for a week now wonder who is covering 

The station is clearly a success as it has a breakfast show now which is a good sign