Unofficial Mills

Terry Wogan to leave Radio 2 breakfast

duncan

So the battle commences in January

Terry Wogan has quit the Radio 2 breakfast show. Chris Evans takes over from January.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8241101.stm

Is Terry trying to steal some of Chris' thunder today?

Sir Terry Wogan announced live on air today that he has decided to stand down from presenting Wake Up To Wogan on BBC Radio 2 at the end of this year.

After two stints totalling 27 years, Britains most-listened-to broadcaster has chosen to give up early mornings at the end of 2009.

He will continue on Radio 2 with a brand new weekend radio programme launching early next year, details of which will be announced at a later date.

Speaking on this morning's show he said: "Now, if you'll pardon me, I've a little bit of news of my own. If the mail is anything to go by, most of the listening population have spotted a report that next year, I'm going to turn into Chris Evans. And I hate to tell you, but it's true. I was hoping to break it to you, my loyal listener, more gently. I wanted to be the first to tell you. It's the least I owe you, for endless years, countless hours of morning companionship, friendship, good humour, and laughter. Your loyalty and support has been a beacon of love in my life.

"There hasn't been a morning, no matter how dark and drear, that I haven't had a smile on my face and a song in my heart at the prospect of your company, your marvellous mail, your wit and wisdom. It touches me deeply that I have played a part in your lives, for it seems like generations; mothers and fathers who tell me how they force their children to listen to me in the morning, just as they were forced by their parents. And many many people, alone, ill or sad, for whom Wake Up To Wogan has been a comfort and a consolation. Let me tell you, it will never match what all of you have meant to me…

"This is the hardest thing I have ever done in my broadcasting career, to say goodbye to you in the mornings. But if not this year, when? Five years, 10 ? I'd rather leave while we're in love, as the song says, while the programme is the most popular on British radio, while we still delight in each other's company…

"And so we will, until the end of the year, when my good friend Chris Evans takes over; I know that you'll give him the same love and affection you've always shown to me…

"However, before you heave a sigh of relief at my passing, you needn't think that you've seen or heard the last of me…I'll be there until hell freezes over with Proms in the Park (see you there on Saturday next) and of course, Children in Need. My great and good Togs will still be rallying in that great cause, and I'll be with them every step of the way, including the voyage.

"And in the new year, I'll be starting a really exciting new show, live from the BBC Radio Studio at Broadcasting House in front of you, as my live audience, presenting the very pinnacle of live music, artists, guests, and of course, you, your mail, your warmth, your wit…

"So, this is not goodbye, it's not even au revoir…As they used to say when I was a lad, 'See you later alligator…in a while, crocodile'…"

Bob Shennan, Controller, Radio 2 and 6 Music, comments: "Terry's contribution to the success of Radio 2 over the last 16 years is immeasurable.

"His unique talent has provided millions of listeners with the soundtrack to their morning. Terry is unequivacably the most accomplished radio presenter of his generation.

"I know his TOGs and TYGs would like me to thank Terry for his years of devotion to the programme and I'm delighted that Terry has agreed to present a new, exciting show on Radio 2 next year."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/09_september/07/wogan.shtml

james_ryder.png

@itschrissmith has the right idea:

Predictions for tomorrow's headlines - they'll include the phrase "Good Evans" and possibly even "Wo-gone."

and @gregjames

Big day for radio today. Especially if you're called Chris or Terry. Evans my idol, Moyles unstoppable, Wogan the greatest. Me, a kiss arse

james_ryder.png

They could have choosen a better day to announce this! Definitely an attempt to steal Moyles thunder! :(

Wogan was going to announce it a few weeks later properly but the newspapers reported it before he had a chance to properly announce it so the BBC went ahead with it.

:hahaha:

could have Edith & Cat like they did on Capital.

anyway, it's just a ploy to get us to move to R2 Evans has been confirmed & apparently the R2 listeners don't like the thought of Evans taking the Breakfast Show & one of them said that it may end up with pitchforks & a march on the BBC :hahaha: yeah now you know how we feel here at R1 mob.gif

the listeners of R2 should now move over to R3 or R4 that is if their wirelesses dial can go that far grandad :P

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i just don't think Evans will be anywhere as good as he used to be, of course he has mellowed but he isn't right for R2 Breakfast not with that type of listener anyway, but it is just part of the push to move people over to the other stations.

& yes Wogan made the announcement to steal Moyle's thunder, Wogan made his thoughts clear over the years with his comments about Moyles etc & even more so over Wossy & Brand, good bye & good riddance Wogan you bitter old man & shut the door on the way out.

:)

I agree with an earlier comment about R2 stealing Moyles' thunder. All the reports yesterday were about Wogan with barely a mention about R1!

If im prepared to give Chris Evans a second chance! it will be interesting to see how Moyles and Evans run their shows in competition. Arent the pair of them both fairly similar broadcasters, appealing to similar kinds of listeners? Or is it a semi deliberate move to pull some of Moyles listeners away so R1 could put a younger presenter in the slot?

Just been looking on cm.net :* at the forum section for Wogan leaving. A few things stand out

1. They dont like Scott

2. Someone suggests Colin Murray takes over from Evan on Drive

3. Some dont think Moyles will beat Evans

4. They all seem arsy and dont like an article without proof.

by Yudster

See this is great, Mayo on Drive as a brilliant alternative to the horrible radio 1 offering and Evans on breakfast for when Chris is off and they still insist on using Mills even though it blatantly doesn't work. I'm a happy bunny.

:evil:

james_ryder.png