Unofficial Mills

The Devil Wears Primark

Jono

Channel 4 have pulled this show which was due to air last night - a controversial documentary about the business practices of low-cost clothes stores.

But is Primark really that different to any other clothes store? Where do you shop and do you shop in Primark?

Yes I shop in Primark. I'd rather pay low prices for the low-quality sweatshop made goods than high prices (like in designer shops). After reading No Logo by Naomi Klein, I was slightly put off, but there's not much we can do about it really because there's so few places that can guarantee they don't use those kind of practices. I understand the economics behind Export Processing Zones and if they don't get the cheapest prices from one, they get it from another. National regulations don't apply in EPZs either so it's a bit of a catch 22 situation.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Guest CancerForTheCure

I only get pyjamas from Primark. It's not about the low cost for me, it's the quality that I don't really like. At the moment Zara and Bershka are probably my favourite shops, and River Island occasionally. I just think there is something really dodgy about Primark.

I mainly shop at Primark, H&M, Topshop, Dorothy Perkins and Next occasionally. I go to Primark purely because it's "disposable fashion" and cheap, and the quality seems alright.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

Well the only things ive bought out of 2 pair of shorts :P Like swimming ones and camo ones for a combined total of £12 id have paid £25+ for the camo ones alone in some shops.

Why did the show get pulled? is that why without a paddle was on?

My Photos are online at www.markohare.com

Not sure, maybe Primark were threatening Channel 4 with legal action over it or something, I've checked all the news sites but haven't found anything about it so far.

"Channel 4 pulled a potentially controversial documentary about the business practices of low-cost clothes stores, called The Devil Wears Primark, from its schedule last night for editorial reasons."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jun/02/channel4.television

I've never ever been to Primark. In Spain, when I did do any clothes shopping (I hate it) it was in Zara (Spanish company), Mango, Bershka or a really cheapie place called Stradivarius.

Need some summer clothes, so where are the best places in your opinion? I haven't got a lot of cash, but am not obsessed with fashion. I buy stuff that suits me.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I've never ever been to Primark. In Spain, when I did do any clothes shopping (I hate it) it was in Zara (Spanish company), Mango, Bershka or a really cheapie place called Stradivarius.

Need some summer clothes, so where are the best places in your opinion? I haven't got a lot of cash, but am not obsessed with fashion. I buy stuff that suits me.

H&M! I love it. Or Topshop. Or Next, that's alright.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I went to bershka and got a really cool black tshirt with like klaxons style neon colours for.... 10Euro! thats like £8 thats well good! And i never knew Zara had a mans section :)

My Photos are online at www.markohare.com

I was in Zara today, they have some quite nice clothes. The shop makes it look like it should be more expensive than it is, the clothes are actually reasonably priced but laid out like expensive ones.

H&M aren't bad, decent quality, just watch out for the emo/nu rave stuff they seem to think all young people want to wear.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Guest CancerForTheCure
I was in Zara today, they have some quite nice clothes. The shop makes it look like it should be more expensive than it is, the clothes are actually reasonably priced but laid out like expensive ones.

I know, it looks very posh. And most of the time it's really good quality, you'd expect it to be much more expensive :)

I went on a shopping spree in Zara. I bought 6 dresses, 2 coats and a pair of jeans. I don't remember how much it cost altogether, but I wasn't too scared for my dad to find out when he asked for any leftover money.

I did that in TK MAXX once. I bought sooooo much. It came to £237.49, give or take a few pence... :shock: In all fairness I bought a silk dress and loads of shoes... and lots of other things.

I do shop in Primark quite a lot for pyjamas and shoes. PJs from Primark are amazingly comfortable. They're lovely and big.

I really wanted to see this as its quite relevant to my degree! All clothes shops are the same. They all have their clothes produced in China, Vietnam, Indonesia etc etc

I mainly shop in H & M and Topman, shopped in Primark for the first time on saturday and was quite pleased at what you can get in there!! Spent £30 and got 4 shirts, 6 pairs of sports socks and 4 pairs of boxers... brilliant!

Guest CancerForTheCure
I really wanted to see this as its quite relevant to my degree! All clothes shops are the same. They all have their clothes produced in China, Vietnam, Indonesia etc etc

I mainly shop in H & M and Topman, shopped in Primark for the first time on saturday and was quite pleased at what you can get in there!! Spent £30 and got 4 shirts, 6 pairs of sports socks and 4 pairs of boxers... brilliant!

I'm not a big fan of H&M for girls but I always send my boyfriend to shop in there, they do have fairly decent male clothes. Topman is brilliant! If only I was a man... ;)

Do not go in Primark, Oxford Road, on a Saturday afternoon. It was the most stressful thing in my entire life. The queues went on forever and seemed to never end .. I ended up just walking out!

Primark's clothes are made in some awful places - feel sorry for the people that make them. The programme has probably been dropped due to the threat of legal action, which is usually the case.

507033771.183.1247039672.png

Guest CancerForTheCure
Do not go in Primark, Oxford Road, on a Saturday afternoon. It was the most stressful thing in my entire life. The queues went on forever and seemed to never end .. I ended up just walking out!

Primark's clothes are made in some awful places - feel sorry for the people that make them. The programme has probably been dropped due to the threat of legal action, which is usually the case.

Even though I don't shop in Primark, when I went to London with my friend, Primark was the only shop in which we could afford anything :D So I just bought looooots of pyjamas ;) I refused to look at anything else. It was very packed actually (yes it was a Saturday afternoon)