Unofficial Mills

Prince Harry - Why all the fuss?

Jono

I don't really understand this. Great, he went to Afghanistan, and great he's a royal. But the pages upon pages in the newspapers over the last few days are appalling. I don't want to read about it, it makes him look like a saint because he spent a few months in Afghanistan.

There are boys and girls out there fighting for very long periods with no security or bullet proof vests and don't have the option to go home when they don't feel safe.

Why should he be any different?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I agree, they have the report before other more important news report, but I guess that the deal was that they would get loads of pictures and interviews from them if they kept quite and now it's out they want to use the stuff up!8)

I hate Harry & the rest of the Royle Family, but hey I'm Scottish and I have my points of why I feel this way.

There are boys and girls out there fighting for very long periods with no security or bullet proof vests and don't have the option to go home when they don't feel safe.

Quite the opposite. The reason he's been sent home is because he's causing extra risk to everyone around him. Harry himself wanted to stay.

Anyway, I agree with you about the press coverage. However, it's no different to any other celebrity related story in the media. Famous people doing not particularly extraordinary things gets coverage. The media wouldn't care if I went to a restaurant for dinner tomorrow, but if some Z-list celeb does, it might get a full page spread in some crappy gossip paper the next day.

My thoughts exactly - the amount of media coverage surrounding him really is ridiculous, they dedicated an entire half-hour ITV news programme to him on Wednesday night (I think), was it a slow day for news or something........? Personally I've always thought that the royals get far too much media attention... but anyway, I'm not entirely sure what I think about this Prince Harry thing tbh. On the one hand he should be given the same rights to fight as any other soldier, but on the other he is a member of the royal family and therefore a potential target... hmmmm.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

I'm quite impressed he lasted that long without his cover being blown. They could easily just send him somewhere else soon though. It's a difficult one, modern warfare isn't a single battlefield event with swords and horses, also the Queen is the head of the armed forces but I can't really see her leading us into battle. Not to mention we're in battles in more than one place.

I agree that he would put the other soldiers in danger if he stayed there, it's good that he's doing something worthwhile for the country though.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Credit to him. Where he's been is something nobody else will ever come near to understanding unless they've been themselves. When H is out with his lads, he's not HRH he's just another squaddie and all that entails in getting by without being killed or maimed. I have the same view of his uncle Andrew.

Anyway, he don't arf look like Major Hewitt, no?

discuss

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'

Jono, believe me that's not how it works mate!

How's that then. He's gone into Afghanistan at the least busy time, and even appeared to be wearing a bullet proof vest when he came off the jet back home! There's some out there working with little equipment whatsoever.

That vest won't stop a bullet, well not one of any significance, perhaps a 9mm from a sidearm. All it would do with anything else is slow t down a bit as it rips out the other side of the body. Those vests are to help protect from light shrapnel, they're not worth a w@nk for anything else.

Incidentally, all aquaddies are issued with them. There are better types of body armour out there, Dragon scales is supposed to be the nads, but even our colonial counterparts over the pond aren't issued with that.

Bottom line is, if your in the wrong place at the wrong time, nothing's going to save you, game over.

As an example, if you have a good look down your average street, you won't find one item you could hide behind to protect yourself from a .50 calibre round, something that comes out of the muzzle at around 500 per minute.

How's that then. He's gone into Afghanistan at the least busy time, and even appeared to be wearing a bullet proof vest when he came off the jet back home! There's some out there working with little equipment whatsoever.

Which newspaper(s) do you read, Jono?

In the school CCF we had a tonne of desert equipment, not really sure why, it's not much use in the English countryside. Makes you into a bit of a target really. I did wonder why they didn't send it where it was apparently needed - they took our LSWs (small machine guns) to Afghanistan straight away so we never got to use them.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Im glad that he went and had the chance to do his 'bit', but im also glad that he has now been withdrawn as its not just him at risk but others who are fighting for us!

It was also on *cough day time tv* This Morning that he may now be taken into special branch, meaning no one would know where he is or what he is doing therefor making it more safe for himself and others!!

Friends are the family we choose for ourselves

Maybe i'm just slow but why does being Scottish have any effect on your views of the royal family?

I think he was talking about the Royle Family, I quite liked it my self, thought Ricky Tomlinson was great in it.