Unofficial Mills

Jordan North's first Capital Radio breakfast show

GrimsbyGal

53 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

A few weeks in and I am actually loving the show and Jordan is a nice mix of his old chaotic self and dare I say it a slick jock.

I think we've all figured out now how much you like it @AndyK77 😂 Personally while I think it's by far the best show on the Capital schedule and better than its predecessor, it still has the shortened songs and other commercial-radio aspects that remind me why I'm a Radio 1 fan. No matter how well this has worked out for Jordan, and all credit to him for landing the job, I can't help but feel that a Jordan and Katie show on R1 breakfast would have been so much better!

I honestly never thought in a million years I’d move from Radio 1 to be a regular Capital breakfast show listener. But it’s got pretty much everything I want - 3 really genuine, entertaining mates having a laugh, playing silly games and it all sounds great. I became a big fan of Chris from his days with Scott, became a Jordan fan on Going Home, and Sian Welby is newer to me but is loads of fun too. 

It’s great and I’ve shocked myself by transferring my listening at breakfast. For me Greg’s show now feels very tired and it’s time for something new. But with Jordan gone that’s unlikely to happen anytime soon. Greg’s had a great run and I’m a fan - but there’s no new ideas now. I still listen to Radio 1 at other times - but this show feels like very serious competition for Greg. 

Yep am very much Capital Breakfast now. Jordan, Chris and Sian are a great trio and it's got that feel of the old shows Jordan and Chris used to do on Radio 1. It doesn't take itself too seriously but is packed full of content and slick.

With Greg he's great but 6 years in you've probably heard it all before plus frankly I can sit through the Capital Playlist a lot more easily than the Radio 1 playlist (where some of the inclusions and omissions can be quite baffling at times).

Plus after things like the Oscars or Met Gala or if there's a particularly big TV show or film or popstar then Greg won't half wang on about it at times. I guess it's partly to be expected with it being a Breakfast show on a young station but it can feel very London bubble and get tired.

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I'm enjoying Jordans new show I do feel it's lacking interaction and silliness with other shows and presenters. IMO that's why r1 is so popular as they have freedom to be idiots on air and Global is alot more professional.

Unlikely to hear any summer games and kidnappings and STB is always at Wembley.

3 hours ago, Darren m said:

I agree I do think Jordan would have been great on radio 1 breakfast I find it the same with Moyles as great as he is it’s. It as good as when he did radio 1 breakfast 

You're absolutely right. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances / timings that have denied us a Jordan (and co) R1 breakfast show. No doubt he'd have been fantastic and arguably even better than Greg is, but can't deny Greg has done really well on the show so pushing him aside for Jordan already would have been a rough thing to do.

So a few months in and I've got to say - I'm really enjoying Capital Breakfast. I've always been a big Jordan fan, and regularly listened to Going Home and loved it.

I tried Capital back when Chris first joined but couldn't get into it. But the combo of Jordan Chris and Sian works so well and makes this a must-listen for me - and I'm finding that it's reluctantly pulling me away from Greg. I love Greg but his show feels a little empty in comparison - I really enjoy the zoo format of Capital and think its shown up what an outlier the Radio 1 breakfast show is to the rest of Radio 1's output which is all about multiple presenters (to great effect!)

And Going Home with Vick Katie and Jamie - I hate to say but I'm just not feeling it. The topics they talk about are a bit cringe, and I think I'm put off by how amateur it sounds on Jamie's part (crashing vocals, very obviously pulling the conversation away from what it was supposed to be about on bizarre tangents, etc). Such a clear downgrade.

I must admit I love listening to the all new breakfast show with Jordan Chris and Sian (kemi) for now I am actually enjoying listening to the show but my problem is I listen to the radio all day and I find it hard to listen to capital fm all day everyday it’s just so repetitive after the breakfast show you have just boring links with the same 15 songs getting played example on the playlist this week you have the sugababes and the wanted getting played just about every hour I’m sorry the capital breakfast is a good listen but the station overall is boring and repetitive they need to make all the other shows as fun and entertaining as the breakfast show 

2 hours ago, Deco36 said:

I must admit I love listening to the all new breakfast show with Jordan Chris and Sian (kemi) for now I am actually enjoying listening to the show but my problem is I listen to the radio all day and I find it hard to listen to capital fm all day everyday it’s just so repetitive after the breakfast show you have just boring links with the same 15 songs getting played example on the playlist this week you have the sugababes and the wanted getting played just about every hour I’m sorry the capital breakfast is a good listen but the station overall is boring and repetitive they need to make all the other shows as fun and entertaining as the breakfast show 

I always listen to Greg in the Morning and then Capital with Jordan in the Afternoon instead of going home (mainly so I can skip past the ads)

Another big fan of the Capital breakfast show here.  I didn't expect to stick with it, but I try to listen back every day (I have Greg on every morning because I am a huge fan of his style and can't think of any other presenters who can do what he does solo on that show every day). I tend to catch up on Capital, either at 10.30am when RMC start, or in the afternoon, depending on what's on in work.

I never was the biggest fan of Vick & Jordan together on going home.  It had some funny moments, but for the most part it seemed to me like Vick playing herself down and giggling a lot,  and Jordan reining in his tangents and was mostly an awkward listen for me.

Jordan with Chris and Sian has turned into a must listen.  I get that it's very different from R1, ads, shorter links etc are some of the criticisms. But, they have a lot of features, they seem to make the links count and get into interesting topics, different topics every day. Maybe it's just my age, but I feel like they are celebrating all things average that most people would be able to take part in. It's laugh out loud radio that I really wasn't expecting it to be, having never been a Capital listener before. I miss Sian already, but Kemi is doing a great job filling in, she seems a great fit so far.

Breakfast is the only show I listen to on Capital, so I can't comment on how repetitive it gets throughout the day. I imagine it's no different to a whole day of R1 at the moment though. I find that Capital seem to sprinkle more variety into the playlist daily and throw a few old school tracks in there to mix it up more. To me it feels like the Radio 1.5 I have been waiting for. Playing the Birds of a Feather theme tune is acceptable here and it's okay to admit to going to bed at 8pm. Perfect!

Maybe I haven't been listening long enough for the playlist to grate on me yet. I am fidning the R1 playlist repetitively dull at the moment, but that's partly because I am not that much invested in the presenters/shows that are on after Greg at the moment. In the same way I am not interested in anything else on Capital apart from breakfast.  When Scott said 'Oh god it's not Tiesto with The Business again?' during the last lolathon I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking the same! I was listening because it was Scott & Chris.

Jordan jumped in a secretive way, that would annoy anyone who invest in someone let alone Aled. 

I don't think you can compare Radio 1 to Capital anymore as Capital is aiming older at two difference audiences like Hits Radio.  Radio 1 is still focused on youth which is good.  With Capital expanding it's age range it now has a chance on gaining reach which means it has a greater chance of overtaking Radio 1 because that's something Radio 1 can't do, expand. 

I can't listen to Capital and the Breakfast show seems to be full of old gimmicks.  I mean Roman did the tattoo thing over 8 years ago. Do something Original! 

I know Jordan made a point of being free when he left the BBC but I think Jordan is now in a place where he is over exposed. He's done to much to quickly.  The Tour, Podcast, Capital, Sponsored Ads and now This Morning showbiz segment.  I seen a few comments now from 'I've properly gone off Jordan North' to "Why is Jordan North everywhere, he’s like a rash who won’t fuck off". Maybe those BBC rules were protecting him after all. 

I like Jordan and still think Radio 1 should have given Jordan the afternoon show solo or with Katie to design it his way.  He would of had more freedom than on drive.  Breakfast is not everything these days. 

4 hours ago, callspy said:

Jordan jumped in a secretive way, that would annoy anyone who invest in someone let alone Aled. 

I don't think you can compare Radio 1 to Capital anymore as Capital is aiming older at two difference audiences like Hits Radio.  Radio 1 is still focused on youth which is good.  With Capital expanding it's age range it now has a chance on gaining reach which means it has a greater chance of overtaking Radio 1 because that's something Radio 1 can't do, expand. 

I can't listen to Capital and the Breakfast show seems to be full of old gimmicks.  I mean Roman did the tattoo thing over 8 years ago. Do something Original! 

I know Jordan made a point of being free when he left the BBC but I think Jordan is now in a place where he is over exposed. He's done to much to quickly.  The Tour, Podcast, Capital, Sponsored Ads and now This Morning showbiz segment.  I seen a few comments now from 'I've properly gone off Jordan North' to "Why is Jordan North everywhere, he’s like a rash who won’t fuck off". Maybe those BBC rules were protecting him after all. 

I like Jordan and still think Radio 1 should have given Jordan the afternoon show solo or with Katie to design it his way.  He would have had more freedom than on drive.  Breakfast is not everything these days. 

I’d have given Jordan and prob Katie breakfast shifted Greg til later 9-9:30 and added in an extra shift to fit them all in and when Greg wanted to move on would have extended Jordan.

Going back to the point about afternoon I believe that is why and I get the outrage at the time why Scott was moved to the afternoon from drive to a. Reduce the age and b. Give him and Chris more freedom and have drive doing more corporate content 

2 hours ago, abertom said:

I’d have given Jordan and prob Katie breakfast shifted Greg til later 9-9:30 and added in an extra shift to fit them all in and when Greg wanted to move on would have extended Jordan.

Going back to the point about afternoon I believe that is why and I get the outrage at the time why Scott was moved to the afternoon from drive to a. Reduce the age and b. Give him and Chris more freedom and have drive doing more corporate content 

Financially your extra shift plan wouldn't have worked. Jordan made it clear he wanted a big breakfast show and with Greg still doing well and wanting to stay, that just wasn't an option at R1. Jordan in the afternoons would have been brilliant but wouldn't have met his career goal nor would have paid super well.

The way it all happened left a bad taste both ways IMO, but seems circumstances combined to make it inevitable.

The music on Capital is a bit repetitive but I am not sure it is so much worse than Radio 1 these days.   Radio 1 probably has the odd more surprising track and a bigger variety of genres.

As I have bored people before - I am a big fan of the show. Yes it is pretty structured and yes Jordan is a much more professional and less random version of himself but it's a great listen, fun, warm and feels very familiar in the morning to have everything in the same place each day.

I often leave Capital on much of the day partly due to having been really busy at work and it is just wallpaper and partly as the Radio 1 line-up isn't must-listen for me these days.