Unofficial Mills

Christmas 2023

GeekTalk51

Since this is the first Christmas for a good few years we’re presumably getting a lineup of non-new presenters, I’m wondering what people’s predictions/hopes are.

Pretty certain we’ll be hearing a lot of James Cusack.  Katie Thistleton will presumably be covering one of the weekday slots.  Jordan almost certainly on breakfast for a couple weeks (unless he’s unavailable, but Matt has kids so I don’t know who else then).  

Another interesting question is will it still be anthems, or is that just to make it easier for the new presenters (I suspect the latter).

What are people thinking?

32 minutes ago, Darren m said:

Yea I think Jordan on breakfast and James on drivetime 

I think Jordan from now will do most of Christmas day’s breakfast for the rest of his career at the station and become a staple like Scott’s breakfast was. James maybe a good shout for drive and possibly with the scrapped Next Geneation takeover someone like James could end up doing one of the daytime shows like drive from Christmas Eve to the start of the Jan when the first full working week comes back Sam & Danni, may end up doing one of the crimbo limbo slots.

I’d wonder if they may end up having a special of RMC looking at the live-lounges of the year. I said this on previous years they really could have a good thing in giving a window shop to the evening programming with Future Sounds of 2023 with Victoria Jane, Jack Saunders, Maia Beth, Nels Hylton, Jess Iszatt, Benji B providing their favourite songs that happened through the year, sessions, interviews and feature highlights. But also having genre and mood party playlists across the days running up to new year that would be designed for listening back on new years to select party mood.

34 minutes ago, JamTriv said:

Oh yeah I remember seeing something about R1 not doing new presenters this year? Would be quite cool just to have normal presenters? As this is what they used to do before covid no?

It used to generally be the 'B team' plus Scott & Chris would shift over to breakfast. 

2 hours ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

God i am excited at the potential just need the confirmation of no newbies takeover

I know why things were as they were but I have found Christmas a time I tune away from Radio 1 as the anthems shows just become very tedious.  So with more experienced presenters on, hopefully the station can sound more normal.  But I wouldn't guarantee that.

9 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

I know why things were as they were but I have found Christmas a time I tune away from Radio 1 as the anthems shows just become very tedious.  So with more experienced presenters on, hopefully the station can sound more normal.  But I wouldn't guarantee that.

Yep totally agree and used to love predicting christmas line ups years ago. Would love to hear more of the likes of Ore,James,Nat and Sam and Danni over the festive period

I think Jordan doing Christmas Day is a certain. Him doing Christmas limbo week seems a bit of a waste though as take him off elsewhere in the year. I’d imagine because of the dates Greg will have 2 weeks off (first week of Jan is my bet) so Matt/Jordan should get that week.

Christmas limbo week should be the likes of Arielle in daylight,  Sam & Danni, Ore and Nat 

1 hour ago, ianwilk1999 said:

Agree it seems likely Jordan will do Xmas day breakfast. I think I saw that Arielle is doing some work abroad around NYE so I wonder if she will be busy to do that if you take in travel the day before/after.

I think it'll feature Sam & Danni and James Cusack as the daytime presenters for that week

Yes know Arrielle is getting more dance DJing work at the minute and is more in demand. My feeling they need to run essential mix and more stuff of the drum and bass show type of playlist go quite niche in the evening of NYE and in the daytime have playlists of pop/indie/soul-r&b/ rap with the likes of Mollie, Kenny, Jack and Victoria all pre-recorded

Said it before said it again Christmas week should be for upcoming presenters or ones that you don’t hear from much so only have 1 or 2 shows a week.

There’s no point having Jordan and to an extent Katie who you hear loads of and they need a break when listenership is down.

Arielle having daylight hours if she’s around - yes. The rest should be the likes of Nat, Ore, Sam & Danni, James Cusack/Emile (if the latter is not covering Absolute) 

52 minutes ago, abertom said:

Said it before said it again Christmas week should be for upcoming presenters or ones that you don’t hear from much so only have 1 or 2 shows a week.

There’s no point having Jordan and to an extent Katie who you hear loads of and they need a break when listenership is down.

Arielle having daylight hours if she’s around - yes. The rest should be the likes of Nat, Ore, Sam & Danni, James Cusack/Emile (if the latter is not covering Absolute) 

And you only really need 3 to 4 presenters to cover daytime. The commercial radio 6 - 10, 10 - 14, 14 - 18 or 7 - 10, 10 - 13, 13 - 16 and 16 - 19 would be perfectly adequate.

44 minutes ago, ianwilk1999 said:

I wonder if James Cusack will be booked this year with Global, after appearing lots on both Heart and Capital this year, it wouldn't surprise me if he popped up on their stations across Christmas and new year.

I'm not so sure, as he only appears to be regional cover for Global and they tend to not bother with the regional shows for that bit between Christmas & New Year.