Unofficial Mills

Are Matt and Mollie the 'future' of Radio 1?

Jono

Matt and Mollie are sounding the best they've sounded since being moved off weekend breakfast on to afternoons, and now they're regularly covering for the Breakfast Show, do you think they'll continue to rise through the ranks? There's something quite 'pure' about their show, and Matt has always had that creativity that has made his show a good listen. Would welcome your thoughts...

I agree that they sound the best they have since the move (back!) to afternoons. I’m not sure they’ll continue to rise though? Quite clearly they’re Breakfast cover for Greg because it’s the best available solution since it was decided Scott wasn’t the go-to.

Maybe afternoons or Drive in the future? But they’d only be swapping 3 days for 4. If they continue to cover for Greg & Scott, they’ll arguably be on quite regularly.

I think their new show sounds really great, really nice to have a really strong weekend schedule again and good to have a weekend afternoon entertainment show. In my opinion, it’s the strongest Matt has sounded since he had his 10-1 shows. 

Depending on when Scott goes, I could see them taking over his show, as I think Jordan is definitely favourite for Drive. Hopefully they take their producer (Louis) with them if they do ever move shows. 

I defo think they are better at lunch time and Adele is perfect on weekend breakfast 

As regards to lunchtimes in general, I think and maintain that Scott and Chris will end up on nights on Radio 2 with Trevor taking the Ken slot, meaning Scott can keep the chart Friday afternoon and be general cover for R2 daytime like Trevor is 

Then M&M to weekday lunchtimes Monday to Friday, Jordan to drive Grimmy to one of the weekend shows maybe the 10-1 slot with someone new on th2 1-4 Sat and Sun slot 

• 4 weeks later...