Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 admits there was too much U2

Jono

The BBC today admitted that it breached its guidelines in promoting U2's latest album, No Line on the Horizon, and that altering its logo to "U2=BBC" was inappropriate.

The corporation's editorial complaints unit said coverage of last year's album launch, which included a concert on the roof of Broadcasting House, amounted to "undue prominence for commercial products or organisations" and breached BBC editorial guidelines.

It said the use of the slogan U2=BBC "gave an inappropriate impression of endorsement", and said a reference to the BBC being "part of launching this new album", in an interview between Zane Lowe and U2's Bono on BBC Radio 1, was inappropriate.

Critics complained at the time of the launch, last February, that the BBC had given the band millions of pounds' worth of free publicity across TV, radio and online.

The commercial radio trade body, the RadioCentre, made a formal complaint. Conservative MP Nigel Evans said it was "the sort of publicity money can't buy. Why should licence fee-payers shoulder the cost of U2's publicity?"

But complaints about an edition of Jo Whiley's Radio 1 show, and a BBC News online report of the U2 concert on the roof of Broadcasting House, were not upheld.

The complaints unit said its findings had been discussed at the Radio 1 and sister station 1Xtra editorial meeting.

It added: "In addition, the Radio 1 leadership team have reminded executive producers and presenters about the issues to be considered in relation to judgments about undue prominence, and the distinction between the reporting of new artistic work and commercial promotion.

"The management of BBC marketing, communication and audiences (the division responsible for the U2=BBC graphic) has reminded all staff of the need to consult the editorial policy team in a timely manner for advice when potentially sensitive issues such as commercial interests are involved. A session on working with third parties will be included in marketing, communication and audiences monthly editorial issues training programme."

"We acknowledge the findings and have taken note for the future," a BBC spokesman said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jan/13/bbc-u2-promotion

this time of year's pretty slow music wise, with not that much new stuff being out since xmas, etc.

Probably why you think it's sounding repetitive/commercial

So true, I noticed this when Lady GaGa started to hang round the top and even get to Number1 ages after the song was released.

Things are about to change, lots of new acts soon, more Saturdays, Kate Nash also.

Y4Ar5.png

There are days when they dont play U2 though. e.g. all was quiet on New Years Day............ :P

One a day by the look of it:

Angel Of Harlem

BBC Radio 2 |

Richard Allinson 10/01/2010

I Will Follow

BBC 6 Music |

Clare McDonnell 09/01/2010

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

BBC Radio 1 |

Scott Mills 08/01/2010

Mysterious Ways

BBC Radio 2 |

Janice Long 07/01/2010

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

BBC Radio 2 |

Jeremy Vine 06/01/2010

Sam

The BBC has admitted coverage of the launch of U2 album No Line On The Horizon last February, went too far - with the sexual favours performed on members of the band by radio presenters, probably being ‘a bit too much’.

The Editorial Complains Unit admitted that renaming its channels U2-1, U2-2 and U2-3 went too far, as did retitling all prime time television programmes with the prefix, “Bono likes†and suffix “you knowâ€.

A BBC spokesperson said, “Although viewers appeared to enjoy programmes such as ‘Bono Likes Eastenders you know’ and ‘Bono likes Dr Who you know’, we recognise this may have given undue prominence to the band.â€

“He does though, like them I mean. Even though they’re such an amazing band, they still….oh sorry. It’s a Pavlovian thing. Someone mentions U2 and the entire BBC jumps into promotional mode.â€

Overstepped

Critics of the U2 takeover last year claim the BBC overstepped its remit by quite some considerable distance.

One viewer said, “The non-stop looping coverage of the bands rooftop concert across all television channels and radio stations for three weeks was probably a little much.â€

“I missed Time Team because of it, and by the end I was willing to buy the U2 album just to make them all go away.â€

Despite accepting mistakes were made, the corporation has moved to distance itself from the sexual favours performed on the band during the U2 takeover over the BBC.

“We are not denying such acts took place, but any penis touching was the presenters own choice, and not official BBC policy.â€

“Jo Whiley playing Bono’s cock live on air as if it was a Banjo string was never agreed in advance, but we like our presenters to have the freedom to go wherever the promotional vehicle decides to takes them.â€

“However, with hindsight, I’m sure Jo would admit that gagging on his engorged penis was the sort of thing much more suited to Scott Mills’ show.â€

http://newsarse.com/2010/01/15/bbc-found-guilty-of-fellating-members-of-u2/

james_ryder.png