Unofficial Mills

Greg James' Mallorca Documentary

Jono

DOCUMENTARY: Sun, Sex and Holiday Madness

On: BBC 3

Date: Thursday 7th January 2010 (starting in 3 days)

Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

The exploits of young Britons abroad often hit the headlines, but are holidaymakers risking more than just their reputations. BBC Radio 1 DJ Greg James joins British tourists heading to party capital Magaluf on the Spanish island of Mallorca, to examine the risks that many seem all too willing to take with their mind, body and soul.

heard him on about it today on his show, think i will give it a miss,

sounds just like them Ibiza uncovered programs that used to be on five years ago or more on Sky.

Well at the time of writing you'd already given it a miss.

I enjoyed it. It's put me and friends off the place. Annoyed the only topless girl was a large one though... ;)

Review in the Independent today -

You know what the worst thing about January is? No, not the snow, or the cold, or the diets or the broken New Year's resolutions. It's the pictures of beach-bound celebrities that litter the pages of every glossy magazine and red-top paper in the land. Not only are they (the celebs) thinner, prettier, better dressed and having more fun that you, but they're warmer than you. So while you shiver over a lukewarm mug of tea in your freezing home that has no heating because the gas pipes have frozen or the electricity line is covered in snow or whatever it is that keeps happening, there they are basking in it. In the heat, and the fame, and the soft glow of the spotlights. Honestly, it's enough to drive anyone to distraction.

Happily, the BBC was offering an antidote to this, in the form of the spew-and-all documentary Sun, Sex and Holiday Madness, which promised to "examine the risks that British tourists take with their mind, body and soul". And examine the risks it did, presided over by Greg James, young pup of Radio 1, who turns out to be a rather charming TV host, too. At 24, he can't be much older than the people he's trailing but managed, all the same, to negotiate the tricky tightrope of joy-killing documentary-maker/sympathetic fun-lover with aplomb.

The basic premise was to follow three holiday- makers at Magaluf (or "Shagaluf," as it's apparently known). So we had Lizzie, an architecture student on holiday to get over working in a chicken factory; Adam, a former serviceman recently returned from Iraq; and Charlotte, a student from Bath for whom a "normal binge" would be 30 alcohol units.

Predictably, things got raucous. Though not, they discover at the end of a week's observation, to the detriment of their health. Adam's hand injury aside, only Charlotte suffers any direct health implications from drinking – reduced lung capacity. Which does sort of make you think that maybe binge drinking isn't such a bad thing after all.

Of more interest was Hannah, a Magaluf tourist-turned-summer worker, who decided to head abroad after a relationship broke down. "Everyone here is running away from something," she observed. "Ha ha!" Before her holiday, she said, she was the quiet one among her friends – now she's flashing her breasts at TV cameras and clambering into flowerpots. The reason? Vodka. "If I haven't had a drink by one o'clock, I start to get the shakes," she exclaimed. On her last night there, she got locked out of her flat by some angry flatmates. "I'll have to find someone to sleep with, then," she told the camera. She did too. Entertaining enough, though hardly anything new. Binge Britain headlines have been one of the most common sights of the decade, and thirsty Brits abroad the subject of many of them. Depressingly, all the attention doesn't seem to have changed things. Ah well. On the plus side, I don't want to go on holiday anymore. Well, not to Magaluf anyway.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/last-nights-television-sun-sex-and-holiday-madness-bbc3brhistory-of-now--the-story-of-the-noughties-bbc2brjimmys-global-harvest-bbc2-1861061.html

Well Greg did a really good job presenting that documentary. But on the down side a young presenter told a young audience "never mind all the experts, binge drinking is normal, it's fun and it's nice to go on a booze trip". Well do whatever you want to, but there are not many more stupid things to do than binge drinking. Long term effects are just too serious. Where was the criticism, apart from the presenter saying "I'll give it a miss" to this weird oxygen-alcohol thing?

unique...

Well Greg did a really good job presenting that documentary. But on the down side a young presenter told a young audience "never mind all the experts, binge drinking is normal, it's fun and it's nice to go on a booze trip". Well do whatever you want to, but there are not many more stupid things to do than binge drinking. Long term effects are just too serious. Where was the criticism, apart from the presenter saying "I'll give it a miss" to this weird oxygen-alcohol thing?

But then it'd not look if he preached something and didn't practice it. Wouldn't look too handy if he does do something like that and it comes out. Not saying he does or anything.

Two university friends told me they saw his show tonight so it's done him some good publicity.