Unofficial Mills

Daily Mail: Vernon to replace Chris Moyles?

Jono

Chris Moyles’ reign over the airwaves could end next year in the face of plummeting listeners, the Daily Mail has learnt.

The loud-mouth DJ, who lures seven million listeners to the Radio 1 breakfast show every week, is said to be poised to leave his show in July, when his one-year £494,000 deal comes up for renewal.

Television presenter Vernon Kay, who hosts All Star Family Fortunes for ITV as well as fronting his own Radio 1 show on Saturday, is now seen as the favourite to replace Moyles, 35, who has courted controversy throughout his five-year stint on the breakfast show.

The news comes as it was revealed last week that Moyles’ show, which currently has 7.04 million listeners, saw a drop of almost 700,000 the last quarter.

Mr Kay’s agents are already believed to have been approached and a BBC source said: 'Vernon is extremely popular and the radio bosses love him, no formal offer has been put in yet – there’s still seven months left on Moyles’ deal after all – but he is definitely in the frame.'

Another senior BBC radio source said: 'Moyles is still the saviour of Radio One, but he will go sooner rather than later.

'But it works both ways, he only signed a one-year extension deal as he didn’t want to be tied down, he wanted the freedom to move on.'

Throughout his time at Radio 1, Moyles has been at the centre of a number of controversies following comments made on his show.

Last night, a Radio 1 spokeswoman insisted no plans had yet been made for Moyles’ departure, nor his replacement, saying: 'There is absolutely no truth in this.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1225055/Chris-Moyles-facing-axe-Radio-1--replaced-pal-Vernon-Kay.html

Much as I love Vernon in his Saturday slot I switch off if he sits in for Chris. :cry:

Mind you, the Daily Mail spouts a lot of twaddle so I'm not taking this as gospel but topping and tailing my day with Chris on the way in and Scott on the way home is about as perfect a radio combo as I could ever wish for SO PLEASE RADIO ONE DON'T CHANGE WHAT IS ALREADY PERFECT !

Moyles will leave. Sooner rather than later might be a correct way to put it as it is unlikely that he will do another 5 years.

But Vernon is not the future of the Radio 1 breakfast show. He is dull. His saturday show is an easy listen, but it's not professional entertaining radio as Moyles does it. So if Vernon was to take over, he would probably not stay there for longer than 2 years.

The really interesting question is not when Moyles leaves, or who replaces him. It is who will be the next breakfast presenter who stays in the job for three, four, five years. That's definitely not Vernon. And it's probably not Greg James either. Unless he growths with the job.

unique...

as someone over on DS has said Vernon is a good choice primarily because he will be able to bridge the gap between Moyles and his long term successor quite successfully. He could retain Aled, Carrie, Dom perhaps poach Chappers (I doubt Dave will want to stay) and help retain some of the massive listenership Moyles leaves behind. As for the age thing- doubt he will last more then 2 years, perhaps making it prefect for Fearne or Greg to step into the breach on a long term basis.

Seems pretty inevitable the way the press are talking that Moyles will go in July doesn't it? It's a big shame- but he is the longest serving breakfast show in history. Going in July might mean he goes out with the biggest audience figures in Britain, what with the drop off on R2 following Wogan's departure. Would be perfect from Moyles' point of view to retain some dignity. I really dont hope he hangs on till the end like Cox did. If she had gone at the beginning of '03 she would have been seen as a success....the fact she didn't damaged her profile for years. I hope Moyles knows you cant stay on R1 Breakfast for 10 years!

In fact, a straight swap with Vernon would make sense. Especially with Coxy being off for a while. If Edith or Jo retire off to 6music / radio 2 soon, sara could return from maternity in late 2010 to fill there show leaving the 10-1 programme to Moyles. The Lie In would be perfect for him, with the Sat show being a football banter filled programme with Dave. He could then stay there until a move to absolute/radio wilderness for a decade before he returns to Radio 2. Can seem him in Steve Wright's show in 10ish years.

Apologiesfor the speculation fanwanky filled post.

Good god no. Daytime (weekday) Radio 1 really wouldn't be worth listening to- I'd have to put up with silence. Or put on a CD (remember them?). I do hate this self-fulfilling prophecy- if it's said enough maybe it will unfortunately happen. It's a bit like the "Doesn't she like tired" thing on Doctor Who.

Would be a very bad move- and anyway, didn't Moyles have a record gain in the last RAJARs? What a bag of old crap- I'm surprised they stopped writing about Diana long enough to print this tosh.

Vernon won't solve the media's hounding of "oldies". If it is true (more than likely they've gone with internet speculation) I dare say he's a temporary measure for no more than 12 months.

i couldn't see the BBC having anyone in as a temporary measure for any amount of time, i don't think the breakfast show will go to any dj currently at R1.

:)

'LOSER' MOYLES FACES BREAKFAST SHOW AXE

GOBBY Chris Moyles was hit with another bombshell last night after learning pal Vernon Kay has been sounded out to replace him.

Chris, 35, the self-styled saviour of Radio 1, is already reeling from a massive drop in ratings and claims that he is “too old” for the youth station.

BBC sources claim the Leeds-born loudmouth could be leaving the breakfast show in July when his £500,000 one-year deal runs out.

And Family Fortunes star Vernon, also 35, who hosts a weekend Radio 1 show, is hot favourite to replace him.

He is currently tied in to a two-year £2million “golden handcuffs” deal with ITV1, but that ends in January.

“Talks are all very informal,” said an insider. “Moyles still has a few months left on his deal but bosses are looking ahead as they realise he won’t be around for ever.

“It might prove significant he agreed just a one-year contract extension last year.”

A switch to the Beeb would also put Vernon firmly in the frame to team up with wife Tess Daly, 38, on Strictly Come Dancing when Bruce Forsyth, 81, decides to call it a day.

A Radio 1 spokesman insisted: “There is !?absolutely no truth in this. We’ve made no plans for Chris’s departure.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/106764/-Loser-Moyles-faces-breakfast-show-axe/

I wouldnt put much of a score on this - its the Daily Mail after all.......... :|

Are you a Guardian reader, Mr H? You're in denial.

Rajar is a load of bollocks anyway and thus should be taken with a pinch of salt.

A bit of helpful competition is good for Moyles. My reason for saying this is he'll try harder in his shows. He has a health team around him.

Not everything the Daily Mail says is true, however the whole Kay & Moyles thing has been banded around before.

What about that bloke called Scott Mills? Surely he's a credible candidate for the Breakfast Show? Oh bugger it, just give it to Greg James .. He'd probably show everyone how its done.

507033771.183.1247039672.png

Are you a Guardian reader, Mr H? You're in denial.

Rajar is a load of bollocks anyway and thus should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I dont currently read any daily newspaper. I find I can get all the important news via the web.

RE Rajar, yes I agree to a point but its still officially the main source of info regarding listener figures recognised by the industry.

I'm not sure about 'The 10 minute Take Over' either - its too random. Yesterday the last song was 'Bohemian Rhapsody' OK, its a classic but its a song that would never normally find its way onto the R1 daytime playlist. It also ran over by almost 3 minutes into Scott's show! Overall though, I think Greg is doing a good job on afternoons.