Unofficial Mills

Apparently I have a virus on Facebook

Rik

Right, I've turned to the geeks for help because I'm not good with stuff like this.

My Facebook homepage is displaying lots of peoples old statuses, as are a lot of other peoples homepages. Some say this is caused by being automatically tagged in screen grab type images from the Fan Check application on Facebook, which gives you a virus. This has happened to me.

Does anyone know if this could be true and know how I could sort it please? :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How could you possibly get a virus by adding an application on facebook..?

It'll just be a case of removing the applications permissions/removing the application.

I've heard Facebook viruses are all the rage now, apparently they're "fun" to write opr something. I dunno, justy something a mate told me.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

I have the exact same issue. It's showing me stuff from Saturday night. I did install that "Stalker/Fan" app around then. I tried to access it but it said they're updating it and it'll be back soon. I removed Fan Check but still seem to have the same issue... I'll check the Facebook help forums and post back if I find a fix :/

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

This was also posted on the shameless & apprentice fan page

FYI - Just a quick message to say if you are experiencing problems with Facebook it will be because of an application that is on your profile called 'Fan Check'. First of all you need to remove the picture or untag yourself then to remove t......he application compleltey click settings at the top of your facebook home page, then application settings & find 'Fan Check' then click 'X' & remove it! Hope that helps :)

james_ryder.png

We’ve received tips about a Facebook (inline-face_05.png?1251418262) application called Fan Check; reports say this application is actually a virus, and should be avoided at all costs. We’ve dug a bit deeper, however, and it seems more likely that the rumor about Fan Check (even if the actual virus exists, which we’ve found no proof of) has been used to lead users to various malware and spyware ridden sites. This alleged virus has only been described on a couple of blogs, such as this one, but we’ve found no reports about it on sites of security firms such as McAfee or Symantec.

The virus supposedly acts in the following way: if you try to access a Facebook application located at apps.facebook.com/fancheck/ (previously called StalkerCheck), you’ll get this message:

“FanCheck is adding new features and new capacity. This could take a few days.

Please become a fan, and we’ll send you an update when we’re back online”

According to sources, merely becoming a fan will “infect” your Facebook account, which is highly unlikely. All other reports about the virus seem to be created by spammers themselves. Google (inline-face_07.png?1251418262) lists the phrase “facebook fan check virus” as a popular trend, but there lies the problem; if you actually try to search for this phrase, you’ll be bombarded by sites containing malware.

We believe that this is merely a two part hoax: on one hand, you have a defunct application that allegedly lets you see who’s been visiting your Facebook profile – which cannot work due to Facebook’s policies, and all applications claiming to do so are scams. On the other, spammers and malicious hackers are feeding the rumors around this application to lead people to search for a solution, and getting their computers infected by malware in return.

In any case, this is what you should do: stay away from Fan Check application – or any other Facebook application that hints at being able to tell you who’s been visiting your profile. Furthermore, don’t search for the “Fan Check Facebook virus,” as it is most likely a hoax.

http://mashable.com/2009/09/07/facebook-fan-check-virus-hoax/

I think it is more a problem Facebook are having, rather than fancheck being a virus. I'm guessing the virus rumour was started by someone who didn't like the fact they showed up as a "fan" of someone!

it says now

We’re getting numerous reports that Facebook users are having issues with the news feed today: complaints include posts being out of order, showing updates from last week and repeating entries users have already read. The Mashable team is not currently experiencing the issue but the number of Tweets about the problem, in addition to mails we’ve received, suggests that it’s fairly widespread.

While having status updates out of order is only a minor inconvenience, one reader pointed out that it would be nice to have a simple URL (like “status.facebook.com”) where users could go to see if a problem is sitewide or specific to them. We like that idea a lot.

In the meantime, take comfort in the fact that it’s not just you suffering from Facebook (Facebook) feed Déjà vu.

everyone should get the Mashable RSS feed http://mashable.com/

:)

I'll just throw my bit in:

FanCheck IS malware/virus, as it's completely impossible to use the Facebook API to make an app that does what FanCheck does.

However, this is NOT the cause of the old status updates, there just isn't one for that. The two are not related, but I do advise that you block all access to FanCheck and also stop being a fan of it (if you are).

samozzy.png

FanCheck IS malware/virus, as it's completely impossible to use the Facebook API to make an app that does what FanCheck does.

Not quite, it is against Facebook API for it to count how many times people view your profile which is what many people think it does.

All it does it count the number of 'interactions' with people, so if one person 'likes' and comments lots of your things then the higher up in the stalker list that person will be.

Y4Ar5.png

However, this is NOT the cause of the old status updates, there just isn't one for that. The two are not related, but I do advise that you block all access to FanCheck and also stop being a fan of it (if you are).

It doesn't check view counts.

It compiles the amount of wall posts, pokes, likes, tagged photos and so on.

Attunement.png

Facebook is now showing me randomly selected statuses from the past few days... most from Tuesday :/ silly thing. Fix it Facebook!

Yep it must be system wide failure as I'm also getting statuses from weeks ago. Do i really need to know Katie had a wonderful roast two weeks ago. Could be there business plan is finally unravelling.

Download the Adam and Joe & Jon Richardson podcasts now!