Unofficial Mills

Charts to be based on iTunes chart

Jono

The singles charts, beloved by teenagers for generations, is adapting for the download generation, and from Sunday June 14, will no longer be based on the combination of the sales of physical CDs and electronic downloads, but on iTunes downloads only, allowing the Top 10 to change in real time and listeners to influence who will top the charts.

Encouraged to download their favourite singles, listeners will hear the Top 10 positions changing in real time throughout the show, with the final highest selling single locked down and revealed at 7pm. Previously the Top 10 finished being compiled from CD sales and downloads by Sunday midday and listeners had no way of influencing who topped the charts as it happened.

The 11-40 singles countdown will be based on total downloads and airplay for the week. The changes will affect 142 commercial radio stations across the UK, including London’s 95.8 Capital FM station and the Heart and Galaxy networks, which all play the networked chart show from 4pm to 7pm on Sundays.

The changes do not affect BBC Radio 1’s chart show, which is still based on a mixture of downloads and sales of physical CDs.

The new show, formerly called ‘Hit 40 UK’ will be renamed “The Big Top 40 Show” with new presenters, Rich Clarke and Kat Shoob.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/5368535/The-Top-10-singles-go-real-time-in-iTunes-deal.html

Well one step further to getting rid of CD's then it seems. Makes me laugh though how they say based on iTunes downloads, what about Amazon, ASDA, Tesco, etc?

I tunes are the sponsers of the show, so that is probably why, is there really any appeal in the chart these days ?

People just listen to music they like and don't care if it is no 1 in the chart or no 75.

"Just one more game, I promise"

I think this could be quite a good idea tbh. I dont care for the charts much nowadays anyway, but if it's exicuted well I can see myself listening to this :)

Also it's nice to see the top 10 getting more eclectic recently with some british hip hop and dance artist getting in there

Guest joshtheposh

You know... I always thought that BBC worked with iTunes for the results.... no seriously I actually thought they worked with iTunes

Wait.... please don't say that Fernzters and Da Regg is being taken over!

Maybe it´s just me...but I really think it´s time they need to scrap the Chart Show all together. With the amount the BBC pay for the rights to the official chart they could do R1´s Big Weekend again 3 times over.

I think even Scott Mills has got bored of it. He realises the format has become a chat show mixed with a chart.

That's complete rubbish. I will actually kill myself if radio 1's chart changed to purely download, CD are still a big part of the chart and "getting to (insert number) on downloads alone" won't be an achievement anymore. What's the point in basing it on iTunes anyway? Now, instead of listening you can check the chart on there- completely ruins the anticipations which is seems only I feel now days. As mentioned, there are other digital download sites which influence the chart so I don't see this new chart as a true indication of a best seller.

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

Radio 1's chart show will still be the same, its only the commercial radio version thats itunes only

Yeah I'm saying if radio 1 changed theirs I'd have nothing to live for. I've never listened to hit40 and looks like I never will.

I think radio 1 should scrap the chart show - or incorporate it into switch at least, or the r1 playlist should be expanded. but hey... parf daddy will do what he thinks is the best thing to do to help reach his targets and unlock a lovely bonus that we paid for.

I love the way this country works, full of hypocrisy, lies and thieves. pfft.

>> I'm on here every now and again... <<

http://www.offthechartradio.co.uk

I think radio 1 should scrap the chart show - or incorporate it into switch at least, or the r1 playlist should be expanded. but hey... parf daddy will do what he thinks is the best thing to do to help reach his targets and unlock a lovely bonus that we paid for.

I love the way this country works, full of hypocrisy, lies and thieves. pfft.

If radio 1 scrapped the chart there would be nowhere to get an actual chart would there?

Guest inxces4308
If radio 1 scrapped the chart there would be nowhere to get an actual chart would there?

Yes. Just depends what type of chart you want. Most charts are available online from 'The Official Charts Company'.

The UK charts dont work as well as the US charts. In the US they have proper charts (CHR/Hot Ac/Hot 100, etc) and they take it seriously.

In the UK they change chart types every week and nobody really gives a sh*t anymore. In the UK there is no 'official chart' as such because every station/network does it differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Starts this Sunday will anyone be listening?

I may give it a go?

This could ruin my loyalty to Radio 1s chart all the years of Wes, JK & Joel now not so always listening to Fearne & Reggie.

If this new chart will be formatted like old chart with Wes and beyond was i will like it.

What you all think? :D

BRING BACK WES!

He's the saviour of the chart show