Best Breakthrough Artist - The Brits '09  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Best Breakthrough Artist - The Brits '09

• Adele
    • Duffy
    • Last Shadow Puppets
    • Scouting For Girls
    • The Ting Tings

Radio 1 chart show DJ Fearne Cotton will announce the nominations for this year's Brit Awards.

The launch party for the annual music awards will take place at the Roundhouse in Camden, north London, on 20 January.

It will feature live performances from Gabriella Cilmi, Scouting For Girls and 2009 Brit Critics' Choice award winner Florence and the Machine.

Last year's Critics' Choice was won by the BBC's Sound of 2008 winner Adele.

Ged Doherty, chairman of the Brits committee, said: "It's a great platform for Florence and the Machine to show why she has won the Critics' Choice award this year."

The nominations will be shown on ITV2 on 20 January from 2000 GMT.

The Brit Awards, meanwhile, will take place on 18 February at London's Earls Court.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7811380.stm

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

<roottag> MASTERCARD BRITISH ALBUM

Coldplay – Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

Duffy – Rockferry

Elbow – The Seldom Seen Kid

Radiohead – In Rainbows

The Ting Tings – We Started Nothing

BRITISH GROUP

Coldplay

Elbow

Girls Aloud

Radiohead

Take That

<script type="text/javascript"> <!-- // Hide column off expanded view section fShowHideSIFRElementColumnOff('column-off-expanded'); //--> </script>

BRITISH MALE SOLO ARTIST

Ian Brown

James Morrison

Paul Weller

The Streets

Will Young

BRITISH FEMALE SOLO ARTIST

Adele

Beth Rowley

Duffy

Estelle

M.I.A

BRITISH BREAKTHROUGH ACT

Adele

Duffy

The Last Shadow Puppets

Scouting For Girls

The Ting Tings

BRITISH LIVE ACT

Coldplay

Elbow

Iron Maiden

Scouting For Girls

The Verve

INTERNATIONAL ALBUM

AC/DC – Black Ice

Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes

The Killers – Day & Age

Kings Of Leon – Only By The Night

MGMT – Oracular Spectacular

INTERNATIONAL GROUP

AC/DC

Fleet Foxes

The Killers

Kings OF Leon

MGMT

INTERNATIONAL MALE SOLO ARTIST

Beck

Neil Diamond

Jay-Z

Kanye West

Seasick Steve

INTERNATIONAL FEMALE SOLO ARTIST

Beyonce

Gabriella Cilmi

Katy Perry

Pink

Santogold

BRITISH PRODUCER OF THE YEAR

Bernard Butler

Brian Eno

Steve Mac

CRITIC’S CHOICE AWARD

Winner – Florence And The Machine

OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO MUSIC

Pet Shop Boys

BRITISH SINGLE

Adele – Chasing Pavements

Alexandra Burke – Hallelujah

Coldplay – Viva La Vida

Dizzee Rascal ft. Calvin Harris and Chrome – Dance Wiv Me

Duffy – Mercy

Estelle ft. Kanye West – American Boy

Girls Aloud – The Promise

Leona Lewis – Better In Time

Scouting For Girls – Heartbeat

The X Factor Finalists - Hero

</roottag>The Best Breakthrough Act will be voted for by Radio 1. The artists will perform in the Live Lounge between 9th and 14th February. See the poll.

According to the Daily Record, R1 star Fearne Cotton has been giving Ms Kylie Minogue tips on how to handle her Brit Awards co-hosts, Matt Horne & James Corden. She has advised Kylie not to try and control them at the ceremony. Fearne has said, "Let them be loose cannons and do what they do, and it'll be a lovely night".

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Oh no! I'm torn in the British Group category....Girls Aloud or Take That? Hmmm think it will need to be TT!

Haha, Take That, purely for Barlow! I do hope Last Shadow Puppets get best breakthrough artist.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

• 2 weeks later...

People will be able to vote on-line for their favourite British Best Breakthrough Act for the Brits at R1's Site from 1900 hours today until February 15 at 1900 hours. www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/scottmills/feature_brits09.shtml

Scott Mills will be coming live from the event giving you the inside scoop on who's picking up awards.

Anyway, Sara Cox will have each of the acts on her show next week! Woo. I'm going to vote for Adele.

Monday = Scouting For Girls.

Tuesday = Miles Kane.

Wesnesday = Adele.

Thursday = Duffy.

Friday = Ting Tings.

I know. It's like they've actually got some substance somehow. I love Adele's Hometown Glory soooo much. I borrowed the CD from the library, and had to listen to that one over & over.

That Ting Tings song, "That's Not My Name" drives me mad. "That's not my name, that's not my name......" Aaaahh!! What is your name then?

Thread merged.

I've seen four out of the five bands courtesy of Radio 1's Big Weekend. I have to say, though, that I've seen Scouting For Girls twice and The Ting Tings three times. It all comes down to what sort of music you're into. You've got the soothing sounds of Adele and Duffy, the teen pop sounds of Scouting For Girls and the indie sounds of The Ting Tings.

Based on the albums alone I'd go with The Ting Tings having more hits even though Scouting For Girls have released more as singles. Also the fact that we got two Yo Gabba Gabba mixes out of The Ting Tings pushes forward my choice further.