Unofficial Mills

Do you shop in Woolworths?

Jono

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My housemate got a Christmas card from a friend today which said on the back it was from Woolworths.

On the front it reads "Merry Santa" - not merry christmas, or happy christmas, or seasons greetings, but "merry Santa". Has he had too much sherry or something? Or have they been buying up Engrish Christmas cards..?

Oh and I got a card from the same person, but mine was from Marks and Spencers haha.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

it now looks like Wollies is going to close :(

Woolworths is to hold a store closure sale in all its 815 outlets from Thursday amid growing concern that a buyer will not be found for the firm.

Administrator Deloitte said that if no offers for Woolworths were forthcoming, "it is possible that some stores may close before the end of December".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7776113.stm

:)

I went in my local Woolworths on Monday and a lot of the shelves were empty, it seems to just have chocolate and sweets left. This afternoon it was already shut at 5:30pm while the other shops were staying open till 7pm. Now they're saying they'll all be closed by 5th January, doesn't really surprise me when it's only got chocolate left.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Woolworths, a bastion of the British high street that sold everything from sweets to toasters, will close by Jan. 5 with the loss of 27,000 jobs unless a last-minute buyer can be found.

I'm hoping Tesco might get hold of the plot here. It would be awful if it went to a non-high street chain as Woolworths is the only brand name in the town.

Guest CancerForTheCure

I went into Woolworths today when I was finishing off my Christmas shopping and I was quite shocked when I realised it was pretty much empty (not in terms of customers but stock). It was very sad to look at.