Unofficial Mills

Random Strangers

KingTutsWWH

Does anyone else find it particularly odd when a person joins the forum, posts once or twice solely about their own interests, as if anyone cares yet, gives no opinion on anything, replies to nothing and then proceeds to shove a whole load of pictures of themselves up along with a lengthy blog.

Speaking for myself, I frankly couldn't give a rat's arse about what some random 2 time poster has on his/her ipod, what their favourite colour is, whether they like Kaiser Chiefs or not etc. or what they looked like at their prom.

I'm honestly only interested in hearing the opinions of, and finding out about the minutiae of the daily lives of people I feel I have already built up some sort of relationship with on here, of which there are a few. I hope.

I realise new members have to start somewhere, and am delighted to welcome them, but I think getting to know the current frequent members should be their number one priority.

What do you think?

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I couldn't agree more. There was one recent one (not naming any usernames) about a girlband member who is currently judging on a well-known TV show, and a random first time poster has posted of their hatred for a song she was featured on. Like you, Nati, I couldn't care really! But, as you said, I'm interested in the lives of most of the regulars on here, including yourself, but yeah, they should focus on getting to kow us, and then we can see how they form their opinions and see what sort of person they are. When they come on here "all guns blazing" and ranting, so to speak, it gives off the impression that they are fiery and somewhat unfriendly.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

Im agreeing as well speaking from experience of the guy that joined just to have a go at me for some reason, some of you will know who I'm talking about. I've not been here that long and I don't know how accepted I am yet so I still wouldn't make a very 'controversial' comment but I would be scared to join up and make an "all guns blazing" first post.

Some people have added some rather strange photos of themselves and their families and friends and then not really stuck around, a couple come to mind for doing that.

On the whole though, I think we do have to be welcoming to newbies to encourage them to stick around. Joining a forum is sort of like being the new kid at school, it takes a while to fit in and get to know people. While it isn't a good idea to post anything too controversial when you're new and some people don't realise this, it is equally the job of us who've been here a while to make people feel welcome. Inevitably, not everyone who joins will become regular posters, but I don't think we should discourage them from joining in.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

It can be quite hard to get into a forum such as this one, most of the active members know each other and it's a tight knit community.

That's exactly my point. It's good that it's tight-knit if you're inside the group but it makes it difficult for new people to join in. I don't want this to become like a certain other forum we all know where they're not very welcoming at all.

I mean you get the odd newbie who's a bit weird or annoying but most should be made welcome.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

No I think that they should be given the benefit of the doubt for their petty misdemeanour. I can see how it might frustrate some people, but they're probably just anxious to make a good impression and that's how they go about it. I don't want to get into the business of self-righteousness regarding the conduct and conventions of new forum members and would take the position of just leave them be.

Well at least I've kicked up a bit of a debate. On reflection though, this was a bit of a grumpy post. Sorry folks. The last thing I'd like to see on UM is people being excluded in any way, and cliques developing. I have plenty of time for anyone with anything interesting to say; and if they put it well and can can spell, all the better.;)

I think what set me off was seeing yet another picture of someone who has never posted and I have never even spoken to on the photo strip thingumygig. I don't want to switch it off though, as I like most of the pics on there.

There are some really lovely new members on here, and I'm sorry if I've annoyed any of you.

:|

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I've gotta say (even though I'm still relatively a newbie) when I disappeared over summer I came back and wondered who all the people who'd put photos up were but I assumed, because they put photos up they were planning on being regular.

Still haven't heard from any of them.

But it kind of bugs me when people post replies that don't add to the conversation at all. Meh, I like my essay replies, I do.

When I first joined her I was rather shy as the regulars all know one another and so it was a bit daunting to try and join in yet once I started posting I got to know everyone and now am one of the regulars (I hope). I can see why some of the newbies post so much but I can also see how that can annoy people. I don't mind newbies joining and making lots of topics if the topics are interesting and can get a conversation or debate going. Its when the topics are pointless or has already been discussed then I do tend to get a little annoyed.

It can be quite hard to get into a forum such as this one, most of the active members know each other and it's a tight knit community.

I settled / am settling in fine. I've everyone on here to be very nice and welcoming. I'm more of a Chris Moyles fan than Scott Mills but I post on here all the time simply because the people are nicer and its a better forum due to Jono's excellent work. Better than CM.net I mean.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I have been trying to cut down on my use of smilies but I think they can be helpful in communicating the tone of your post........sorry off topic.

I totally know what you mean - sometimes you've just got to add that smiley to convey exactly what you mean!

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.