Unofficial Mills

Did this week just seem a little too flat?

Jono

Now you know me, it's not very often I have something bad to say about Scott's shows.

But this week has been a bit of a dampener I have to say. I used to think all the best features and material were kept for breakfast to boost Scott's profile but it almost sounds like he doesn't care that much now about planning that far ahead. I mean fair enough, maybe he is better to keep things for his own show in the afternoons, but it sounds nothing like what his breakfast shows used to sound like...

Laura singing Paris Hilton, The Horse Whimperer stuff, One Night With Laura, Hoff Mania, Car Park Price Is Right, Celebrity Growler, Ladies' Bras campaign, the video content, etc.

But this week just doesn't seem like him. I know Laura's not there but they no doubt have new team members there to fill her boots and will have to cope in future without her. There have been the occasional smiles, but it doesn't seem to be on par with other stints.

The feature jingles haven't sounded like there has been any effort and Scott has spent a lot of time apologising for things. From the Only Bley Friday to the Mariah interview.

Instead of the usual chirpy features we've got blokes called Barry singing karaoke, some "random" quizzes, and "would you rather". Whilst they're alright to listen to - they're a far cry from what there normally is.

Chappers seems quite unaware of everything too having been unavailable for interviews such as Mariah yesterday and often questioning the features on-air with no knowledge of it beforehand.

I was discussing this with some work collagues last night who said this week hasn't been something they wanted to tune into, but were singing the praises of Nihal. The sad thing was that I couldn't really argue against it.

It almost feels as if they need Laura back...

Yeah but I suppose it is just that he has had a lot on. What with Upstaged finishing at a stupid time of Monday morning and then him starting Breakfast at 6.30 I suppose he will be knackered. Hopefully he will have a rest over the weekend and next week will be a lot more exciting.

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

It almost feels as if they need Laura back...

They do. She gave Scott's show some extra bounce with her bubbly girlie personality which took the links in some strange and amusing directions. Her randomness of conversation is now sadly lacking from the show.

:cry:

I agree with Jono. It doesn't sound the same this breakfast cover Scott has been doing, i admit i don't get to hear to much of the breakfast show anyway, but the bits i have heard this week have been poor :(

With a new producer I would have thought it would be full of new ideas & it would sound fresher, but it doesn't!

as for the barry-oke thing, i don't know if its supposed to be rubbish (as Jono mentioned "Isn't that the point? They're sitting in for Chris Moyles who has poor features" so Scott's doing it as a laugh) or it's serious, as it sounded yesterday with "they are available for download on the mobile site"!

I didn't listen to the barry-oke today as for the first time 'EVER' i switched the radio off for 2 minutes, whilst they did it, i never ever thought i would have to turn off Radio 1 due to me not liking something on it...

If i find out that the new producer is responsible for thinking it up, i will be writing in to complain, i'm not happy at all :(

:)

I didn't have a chance to listen - apart from bits on the podcast which were just average TBH, I didn't notice too much difference - but I have to say that normally, the things they big up the most, Laura's Diary, My Name is Scott, One Night With Laura and so on, are so milked to death that they really don't do anything for me. I just don't find them funny. Then we have them repeated to death afterwards. I think I may be alone there, but what do you all think?

i actually think over the last 2 months or so the show hasnt really had a high point - its knd of just been going along at a steady pace - but then i guess it makes the good stuff seem so much better when the get going again! funny that it coincides with the upstaged thng - maybe scott hasnt had a much time to comit to the show and with lauras mind on her new role she wouldnt have been completely tuned in. I agree about chopper to - its like he never has any idea whats going on!

I might be in a bit of a minority, but I think the show's been fantastic over the last few weeks and I've really enjoyed it. The banter has been brilliant, and I've had various people tell me that they've listened and really enjoyed it. Even my step-dad, who is a big Moyles fan, has been listening religiously all week.

Oh well, different tastes and all that.

If i find out that the new producer is responsible for thinking it up, i will be writing in to complain, i'm not happy at all :(

The producer hasn't changed. The One That Doesn't Speak has produced the show since Scott begun on afternoons... :confused:

They do. She gave Scott's show some extra bounce with her bubbly girlie personality which took the links in some strange and amusing directions. Her randomness of conversation is now sadly lacking from the show.

I don't think the on-air banter has been too bad. It doesn't quite feel like they're missing Laura, it just seems in terms of team work it feels like they're missing someone.

I don't want this to come across all self-important, but does anyone reckon it's the fact we're not doing YV for a few weeks that's made the show sub par? Afterall, Scott doesn't know when we're not enjoying anything and can't "borrow" our comments.

Anyway, I was thinking how the show wasn't sounding so good earlier in the week, but everyone has bad days (/weeks) and I'm sure the standard will pick up shortly, like it has done in the past. It must be a bit of a blow (ooh er) to the team losing Laura and having Scott doing Upstaged at the same time, so I'd have been surprised if the output hadn't suffered as a consequence.

Becky from Edith's show. You wouldn't want to upset Edith's team members now would you?

i don't know. maybe everyone was right about edith's show being boring but now becky's moved on it won't be so bad.

i don't want to upset anyone, i'm just giving my opinion. scott's show should be fun and exciting but it's not been that good and someone has to get the blame.

:)

I don't think they're bad shows, I just don't think it's something you'd listen again to.

If it was me rather than apologising about the Mariah Carey interview I'd have jazzed it up as a proper interview and the hilarity would have fallen when the questions were actually asked. If they'd perhaps called it an in-depth interview and even introduced it with the Parkinson theme tune, and then the joke would have been when Scott asked her about Kate Nash, etc.

Scott's on holiday next week anyway, but some how I can't see anything from this week making next week's Scott Mills Gold!

I don't want this to come across all self-important, but does anyone reckon it's the fact we're not doing YV for a few weeks that's made the show sub par? Afterall, Scott doesn't know when we're not enjoying anything and can't "borrow" our comments.

Was going to say something similar, but also felt it seemed a little arrogant.

I enjoyed the show last week, but would admit it has been slightly lacklustre. I don't really miss Laura exactly (no offence intended), but I think I do somehow miss a feminine presence.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I have to say I've found it a bit dull too. They just seem to be a bit unorganised and dragging things out that really aren't funny...Barryoke for example! Laura has been away from the show for a week or so at a time before and I think the shows still managed to be good so I dont really want to blame it all on her leaving the show. Meh...might be better next week! :)

The 'What Are Those Kids And Old People On About?' game was very funny, I couldn't stop laughing! That's one of the only things I've listened to this week, so how does that compare to the other things? I much prefer that to stuff like Whiley going over his car in a tank TBH.