Jump to content
Unofficial Mills

Jordan North's first Capital Radio breakfast show


GrimsbyGal

Recommended Posts

I listened again this morning, and I was impressed. As sad as it is that Jordan left Radio 1, he has slotted in very well at Capital. Despite the fact it's three people, the show doesn't feel crowded at all. It helps that they are all good mates, so their bounce off each other really well. The adverts are a bit annoying, but.. they have the right balance of speech for a commercial breakfast show. I didn't think I'd actively tune into a show on Capital on a regular basis, but I'm tempted.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

Today is the second day listening back, and I really am enjoying it. For me, it’s partly the Chris Stark factor though, I always loved his ability to take a silly idea to the next level. Getting the CEO of Greggs on the show to roll out a Jordan special, to give just one example.

It popped up in my feed earlier that they're actually rolling out 'The Jordan' breakfast roll tomorrow in a few select Greggs stores for people to try out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate to be that guy but we all know the Greggs thing was pre arranged days if not weeks in advance? It wasn't a spare of the moment thing by Chris and the convo about it was pre panned and not in the moment thing.  It was an ad deal. One big ad for Greggs which they paid Capital for. This is why radio should state Product Placement just like TV.  Radio 1 can't do these things for a reason.  For me this what makes the show sound fake because it's a false thing pretending it all happened over night. Greggs would have to order on extra stuff to make it happen. You can't do that in 24 hrs.  There will be more of these deals.  I bet there will be a few Gregg "surprise" things happen over time. Other brands as well. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah but aren't Radio 1 guilty of just coming up with 'off the cuff' ideas that have taken months of planning? Often some of Scott's best ideas were - let's read Laura's Diary etc. Not that this is in the same league!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jono said:

Ah but aren't Radio 1 guilty of just coming up with 'off the cuff' ideas that have taken months of planning? Often some of Scott's best ideas were - let's read Laura's Diary etc. Not that this is in the same league!

 

A lot of entertainment radio is a little or a lot less impromptu than it appears.

I mean do we really think Greg James' "Sit Down, Stand Up" isn't pre-recorded and edited?

And that's no criticism of anybody - we'd be missing out on stacks of great radio without this "theatre".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

End of week one.  It's a great show actually and whilst we'd probably like some more of "chaotic Jordan" it sounds close to flawless for a new show.  I am sure it helps a lot that Jordan already knew Chris and Sian well. 

 

Capital must be delighted as I am sure Roman would have been there for as long as he wanted so it must be great to have such a smooth transition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The point I was making is this is not content made for entertainment it was a product placement.  There is a difference between the two.  It not a fun idea that people have brought to air for a laugh.  It was designed to look like mates having fun and come up with this idea but it was just a advert. That why I say it feel false. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, callspy said:

I hate to be that guy but we all know the Greggs thing was pre arranged days if not weeks in advance? It wasn't a spare of the moment thing by Chris and the convo about it was pre panned and not in the moment thing.  It was an ad deal. One big ad for Greggs which they paid Capital for. This is why radio should state Product Placement just like TV.  Radio 1 can't do these things for a reason.  For me this what makes the show sound fake because it's a false thing pretending it all happened over night. Greggs would have to order on extra stuff to make it happen. You can't do that in 24 hrs.  There will be more of these deals.  I bet there will be a few Gregg "surprise" things happen over time. Other brands as well. 

 

If it was - Happens a lot 

alot of Scott and Chris stuff was built with end in mind of big final idea where they wanted to take it and working backwards to lead up to it.
 

Greggs was already sponsoring a competition this week so if it was an “on the fly” add on it would have just been a few bottles of mustard and some next day signage printed out to add onto their trucks and advert space. Global own a lot of advert spaces billboards too so easy for them to do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2024 at 7:42 AM, Jono said:

Ah but aren't Radio 1 guilty of just coming up with 'off the cuff' ideas that have taken months of planning? Often some of Scott's best ideas were - let's read Laura's Diary etc. Not that this is in the same league!

 

And a lot of Radio 1 features or interviews are pre-planned and pre-recorded which they don't exactly advertise - things like Something Songs and Complete the Year and previously on Scott's show The Who Game for example. The giveaway is normally no mention of texts or the song just played if it's a non-song based feature. There's always a bit of smoke and mirrors in entertainment.

Also while it seemed obvious to me the Greggs partnership was pre-planned (the Greggs CEO seemed almost prepared for supposedly an off-the-cuff call) it didn't grate on me hugely. Whereas sometimes with Radio 1 want something to happen or to particularly push an artist or TV show/film they can be just as stubborn and forceful as any product placement. See for example how Saltburn was near constantly mentioned for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was really impressed by the Capital Breakfast show. Had been finding Greg a bit stale - he's a great DJ but there's only so long you can listen to the same features and same sort of topics

Where Capital's show had that familiar feel with Jordan & Chris being ex Radio 1 plus Sian Welby is great. It felt a light, fun and pacy show which I sort of feel Radio 1 has lost recently but used to have say when it was Scott & Chris, Katie, Jordan & Vick and Matt & Mollie

Even the music choices are more to my liking so far. which has surprised me given its reputation of the same 5 songs all day. And it’s not as if you’re not getting Tate McRae, Dua Lipa and Beyonce on every show on Radio 1 anyway.

Radio 1's playlist is really not vibing with me at the minute - some shows like Party Anthems or Future Pop have some great new stuff that should make the playlist but too often doesn't or if in the off chance they do it's just on the C-List and heard once in a blue moon.  Whereas Capital actually surprisingly seemed to have got some of that on their playlist already like the new tunes by Becky Hill,Paul Russell and 5SOS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2024 at 12:54 PM, coffeeandgin said:

I was really impressed by the Capital Breakfast show. Had been finding Greg a bit stale - he's a great DJ but there's only so long you can listen to the same features and same sort of topics

Where Capital's show had that familiar feel with Jordan & Chris being ex Radio 1 plus Sian Welby is great. It felt a light, fun and pacy show which I sort of feel Radio 1 has lost recently but used to have say when it was Scott & Chris, Katie, Jordan & Vick and Matt & Mollie

Even the music choices are more to my liking so far. which has surprised me given its reputation of the same 5 songs all day. And it’s not as if you’re not getting Tate McRae, Dua Lipa and Beyonce on every show on Radio 1 anyway.

Radio 1's playlist is really not vibing with me at the minute - some shows like Party Anthems or Future Pop have some great new stuff that should make the playlist but too often doesn't or if in the off chance they do it's just on the C-List and heard once in a blue moon.  Whereas Capital actually surprisingly seemed to have got some of that on their playlist already like the new tunes by Becky Hill,Paul Russell and 5SOS.

The music is great , I’d only wish they’d mix the music up more , the playlist is too small and therefore same songs on too often - benson Boone has been on twice in the show today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jono said:

Bit of a scoop getting an exclusive interview with Zayn, I wonder why he decided not to do Radio 1 too? 

Zayn's current song isn't on the R1 playlist so would be odd for him to do an interview I guess, not sure either would want it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bluestraw said:

Zayn's current song isn't on the R1 playlist so would be odd for him to do an interview I guess, not sure either would want it?

Makes sense, I always assumed they all went for 1D members regardless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The irony of Jordan moving to Capital Radio is it seems to speed up Greg's eventual move from Radio 1 Breakfast.

I think Greg's show is great, but he hasn't had any significant competition in his time on mornings.

Now there is there'll be more scrutiny of the figures, he might be more tempted to move, which is probably what Jordan wanted before he left!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, onlyME said:

The irony of Jordan moving to Capital Radio is it seems to speed up Greg's eventual move from Radio 1 Breakfast.

I think Greg's show is great, but he hasn't had any significant competition in his time on mornings.

Now there is there'll be more scrutiny of the figures, he might be more tempted to move, which is probably what Jordan wanted before he left!

Right, despite what Jordan may say now, I think he (and probably Chris) would rather be doing R1 breakfast but seems he was told that wasn't at all imminent so made the understandable move to go elsewhere. Doubt Greg will move off breakfast anytime soon as he's got a new contract and anyway no obvious replacement in line... They certainly have thrown some energy behind competing these last couple of weeks though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think it's a lot more fun when they don't have guests and have to find ideas to fill a show. 

Them doing some calming traffic reports around the most stressful part of the day. I wonder if there's more they could do with that - 8.15am being the most stressful time.

Anyway, I think that of most radio shows, I'd rather hear the creativity than an overhyped celebrity. Greg had it right yesterday with Tom Allen, he wasn't really just there to promote The Apprentice, but to do comedy too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now in it's third week, the new Capital Breakfast Show seems to be settling down well and there are more of the informal, random Jordan topics appearing.  Though it is clear he wants to be seen slightly differently.

It really is a very decent listen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Posts

    • Radio 1 at Parklife will be presented by Vicky and Nat. Nat is currently listed to present her usual Sunday show on that weekend but I imagine that will change and someone else will be doing it instead. The Radio 1 presenters at Download will be Daniel P Carter, Jack Saunders, Alyx Holcombe and Nels Hylton.
    • Nat in for Dean with Vicky as well that day.
    • So the end of weekend afternoons this week - new show is July 1st.
    • Arielle is in for Greg on Monday 27th May.
    • He’s definitely gotten better and the show has sounded fine this week. I think it been at its best when it’s been Katie and Jamie or Vick and Katie. Vick and Jamie are ok together, but I do think the show sounds better when it’s Vick and Katie and therefore I still don’t really understand the point of the trio.    Jamie is, however, a lot better than Danny Beard! 
    • The RAJAR coming on later this year reflecting later summer to autumn will be interesting to how it reflects Matt and Mollie in afternoons to the revised changes on radio 1’s new music slots and the schedule re-shuffling Radio 3 introducing a new slate of programmes. Then, later on this year have speech radio stations having domestic political coverage of the election but also America’s presidential election.  
    • I actually caught snippets of today’s show, and I found it much better than the last time I listened. I have made it no secret that I like Jamie on the radio, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Matt & him together last year. People have criticised him for not being relatable, but I have to agree with the comment above that I have always found him a naturally warm person to listen to. Maybe the going home set up was something that needed settling in and things are starting to take shape.  It must have been difficult for him joining an established duo in Vick & Katie to begin with.  Jamie was great on something songs today, fully engaged in the caller and sounded like a real presenter. Maybe he is doing as a lot of us hoped and really learning as he goes, how to do it properly. 
    • Agree with this. The anti-Jamie feeling was IMO quite influenced by the negativity around him replacing Jordan, since Jordan was exceptional and also universally loved. When people mention Danny and Jamie in the same sentence about bad hiring decisions I almost choke - Jamie may not be perfect but he's several leagues better than Danny already and has bags of potential. Danny is poor and has shown zero potential...
    • Jamie started 4 March, and the figures only going up to 31 March, so it isn't reliable. But it has shown the numbers have dropped in afternoons compared to last quarter. It looks like it's Capital's gain.
    • Do these audience figures reflect Jordan leaving and Jamie replacing him?
    • I think Jamie is really starting to settle into the role well. He comes across as really warm, and genuinely invested in the listeners when he’s talking to them which is nice. I think he’s building a really great relationship with Vicki and Katie too. His recent great company podcast is great too, where he has quite a deep chat with someone new each week. He’s clearly a very genuine person and I think he has some real potential.
    • Most probably. But do wonder what the future of the relax themed programmes will be when they officially wind down that service.
    • I think it's just to replace Wind Down presents... which was in that timeslot, and I'm guessing Chillout Anthems was just a buffer since it'll still be played at 06:00 on Sundays.
    • With listening on the U.K. for the industry in general it is good overall as most stations reach is on the up and shows radio to be more sustainable and stable outlet than linear televisions channels. This RAJAR I think with the increase shift to DAB+ the BBC will be able to say it has it’s audiences for the proposed new stations it wishes to launch and think the new innovative ideas that it seems Jack himself can take credit for on the new music show think the younger under 30 gen z demographic could increase se in that time-slot. 
    • Conor Knight is in for Sam & Danni on Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th June. It's Radio 1 at Parklife, 13.00-16.00 on Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th June. Matt & Mollie are in for Greg from Monday 10th to Friday 14th June - it's just Matt on the Thursday. It's Radio 1 at Download, 13.00-16.00 on Friday 14th June.
×
×
  • Create New...