Unofficial Mills

Firsts

radio247

Mine was Grimmy, on his drivetime show in 2020.

I’d passively listened for about a year prior to this, mainly Greg on breakfast and Scott on the chart, and then sometimes Dev and Alice on the weekend as well, but this was my first use of the BBC Sounds app:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000mqz0

At the end of that week, I heard Jordan for the first time when he covered Grimmy. I’d heard him a few times before and thought he was alright but really enjoyed that, so started listening to him as well just before he went on I’m a Celeb.

So it was Grimmy and Jordan at first!

Moyles certainly got me into Radio 1 in the early 2000s. From there I listened to an array of presenters but it was Scott that clicked the most for me. 

Moyles was my first, breakfast I think when I was in my early teens with my own radio in my room. 

A bit later I remember listening to Scott (ladies bras era) in the car at drive time.

I took a total radio hiatus for a while, unintentionally, but then it was down to youtube getting me into innuendo bingo, leading to finding this site and downloading all of the scott mills podcasts, then the pandemic happening and working from home when I listened to live radio again in my 30s.

Scott, Chris (Stark), Greg and Grimmy got me back into live radio, and insights from fellow posters here have helped me understand the magic behind it all I suppose. 

My first show was Ferne Cotton, circa 2010 on work experience. Became properly hooked in 2013 when I passed my driving test.

The schedule of Grimmy // Clara // Scott // Gregg with the weekends of Dev // Matt // Alice will always be peak R1 for me. 

Alan Freeman - 1989 - Saturday Rock Show.

Then branched out into Andy Kershaw, Johnnie Walker, John Peel, Tommy Vance, Bob Harris and many more.

My family always told me that I would "grow out of" all that noisy rubbish.  It was therefore incomprehensible to me when Matthew Bannister set about culling most of the old guard, as that was proof-positive that some of us never grow out of it.

It’s between Jo Whiley and Scott Mills for me.

I was a massive indie kid in the early 2000s and Jo’s show just really spoke to me at the time. I used to get to listen to the radio in art classes at school and it was usually Jo’s show that was on then.

Everyone at school tended to big up Chris Moyles but he just wasn’t for me. I remember listening to Scott’s show and I just thought yeah, I really like this.

Can't really pin it down to one single presenter. Probably a mix of Mark and Lard and Chris Moyles when he was on afternoons, when the two shows followed each other in the late 90s. Dave Pearce on Dance Anthems contributed heavily too. 

on the grid.

At risk of this being a massive 'Whoooooo?' for most people on here, mine was Bruno Brookes on the Top 40 in the late 80s. It was my first real experience of radio and he made the show incredibly exciting. This led me to seek out other shows on the station and I've been a listener ever since.